Polo G40 - when black became grey

4wheeledstool

Non on the 'bay though!

They do pop up from time to time - best place to look is polog40.co.uk, although there's nothing up for grabs at the moment.

Not been out in this as much as I'd like so far this year - thanks to my Cavalier related fettlings. Gave it a miss today so I could spend a bit of time in it.

3lB5nwL.jpg

I still totally dig this thing! :)

You can still import them from Germany quite easily - I considered flying over and driving one back. In fact I'm still considering that to replace the hole that J711KLY left in my life.

Apparently they go cheap as a TUV fail but will pass out less strict MOT easily with the obvious lighting changes. Or just hoik the oily bits out and throw into a faded pink Polo Genesis for sleeper win.

You clearly aren't using this fabulous little rocket enough and need to sell it to me ;-)

I'm with Pillock - I still miss K785GYC, which I loved but had to basically give away when I was flat broke about 15 years ago.

Some people are just bizarre. No price, no link, no photos, she just wants people to search on some unnamed other website for the listing from when she bought it?

Jog on, Victoria.

Cheers for the link though, will keep an eye on the site.

• 3 months later...

After 16k miles, the crappy jubilee clips I'd used on my charger to intercooler pipe finally gave up. I'd intended to change them a long time ago, but never got round to it - in all fairness, they did quite well!

Made a bit of room in the unit

X6R5sam.jpg

The burst jubilee clip causing 100% boost leak

EE3lSRi.jpg

The cure, thanks to eBay

post-18211-0-71815700-1512175532_thumb.jpg

Normal service resumed again, thankfully! This car really is pointless without forced induction!

• 3 months later...
  • 5 months later...

Finally got round to doing the cambelt on this today. Embarrassingly, it's not been done since the engine was built in late 2007!

BPFlJdY.jpg

It's a hell of a lot easier to do when the engine is on a stand - the job was more of a faff than it should have been due to the toothed belt lower pulley being wider than a standard one. It's done now anyway, just needs a quick buff up and it's ready to enjoy again!

OXkjLp6.jpg

• 4 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...
  • 3 months later...

MOT passed on this today, closely followed by the dreaded sinking brake pedal feeling when I got home. It would appear to be the load compensator valve next to the rear beam mounting - 70 sheets will see it right. I think that's the first substantial thing to break on it since it was built? Hopefully it's not the start of a downward spiral! :)

MOT passed on this today, closely followed by the dreaded sinking brake pedal feeling when I got home. It would appear to be the load compensator valve next to the rear beam mounting - 70 sheets will see it right. I think that's the first substantial thing to break on it since it was built? Hopefully it's not the start of a downward spiral! :)

^ Liked for the MOT pass, not the brake failure

Funny, I was just thinking about your G40s yesterday - I’ve been on a mini holiday and those nice people at Enterprise upgraded my rental car from a Fiat 500 to an Abarth 595, which reminds me how much fun there is to be had from an overpowered FWD hatchback with a short wheelbase and not much suspension travel.

post-4091-0-67413300-1522098619_thumb.jpeg

The trouble with the Abarth is that you have to keep the turbo on boost, and the driving position is rubbish (old school Italian, long arms short legs, like an Alfa GTV6). Neither of which is true of a G40.

Quick, sell me yours before I do something dumb like buy a Clio Williams.

• 1 month later...

There was one for sale on that poloG40 site recently - people seem to be asking for far more money than they did a couple of years ago. :(

Brake fixery happened last week - just got round to updating the thread!

First, the entire braking system was emptied of juice via the bleed nips

post-18211-0-45933500-1525552620_thumb.jpg

The standard master cylinder always had a little too much pedal travel due to the MK2 Golf 16v discs and calipers used, so I thought this would be a good time to upgrade it.

Old M/C just before being jettisoned.

ee8b548324df.thumb.jpg.2225dfbdc6cf6b0e3426659e7fc02435.jpg

Alloy Golf spec item installed.

b4e892ca42c0.thumb.jpg.39ca1af7b38aa1bb1f5baf8c56ba7c08.jpg

The replacement of the load compensator valve would have been a lot easier if the previous owner hadn't spaffed the whole thing with grease. It was a very messy job, and as a result of not wanting to besmirch my phone, there are no pics of the job in progress! I did take this shot of my gypsy style method of safely suspending the rear end of the car at a height that allowed the operation to take place. :)

43f923527e0d.thumb.jpg.9ad957c75678564e20d0cfe0516de6d2.jpg

And this is the failed valve with 99% of the grease and shite removed so you can almost see what you're looking at.

5fccb0c2b858.thumb.jpg.08c4822afa368b4c795d7c72dadae81d.jpg

Once bled up with the help of my nephew's right foot, I now have a nice short pedal travel. It still needs to be stood on pretty hard to effect the rapid shedding of speed compared to a modern braking set up, this being down to the teeny tiny servo fitted to the RHD cars - there's simply no room for a bigger one without some bulkhead surgery. :( I might* have a go at that next time it's all in bits! :)

• 6 months later...
  • 1 year later...

Had a bit of spare time after a job interview today, so with everywhere being nice and dry, I dug this out.

IMG_20200130_153752.thumb.jpg.a4854a2df59ac944c40340fd10874b57.jpg

IMG_20200130_153833.thumb.jpg.578e1ec3a74fb5b11cc72fc66dea88b6.jpg

IMG_20200130_154011.thumb.jpg.b7315df8f69fc12d00e1c965f58e2205.jpg

Whilst driving I couldn't help but notice a rhythmic miss fire every 10 seconds - as though the ignition switch was being flicked off then on again. A quick root around under the bonnet revealed that the plug on the knock sensor had disintegrated, effectively unplugging it. I cobbled it all back together again, and the weird miss fire was gone - I guess I'd better order one up! 

Had a good ride out in it, then put it back in the garage until next time.  :)

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

The clutch pedal on this has been requiring more and more effort of late, and today it started to get noisy too. After changing the oil and filter, I changed the clutch cable too - no jacking or lifting required, just a little entry level contortionism and in it went. The difference is incredible - I probably should have done it last year! 

IMG_20200620_150732.thumb.jpg.a9632ed232660664cb8f319c96ac133a.jpg

Time to put some miles on it. :)

I love the car. I’ve always wanted a car on BBS alloys, but for reasons of skintness have never managed to achieve it. I almost bought some split rim ones I was offered but had just got engaged to my now wife and they were more than her engagement ring and she thought this was bang out of order, so didn’t. 
Thanks to this thread I’m now back on eBay looking at 90’s VW tat which will only get me in trouble!! 

• 1 year later...
On 3/22/2015 at 10:30 PM, 4wheeledstool said:

The perfect day - glorious weather, with nothing else to do other than exercising my chod.

JqZzkNT.jpg

Hopefully 2015 hasn't just peaked!

How come the blue Polo is on a T plate?!  I thought that this body of Polo ended on 1994 M reg?

22 minutes ago, MJK 24 said:

How come the blue Polo is on a T plate?!  I thought that this body of Polo ended on 1994 M reg?

Its explained here chief. https://autoshite.com/topic/18687-polo-g40-oddball/?do=getNewComment

You need to look at the start of the thread though, not the end - for some reason the link takes you to the end.

• 2 years later...
  • 2 months later...