SHITE ICON for sale - lancia beta berlina

Mr_Bo11ox

My Dad's Beta Berlina is up for sale, good runner and long MOT but a little cosmetically challenged. Very sound body with mostly original paint. Only welding on it, is what I have done, right as the front end of the sills. Plenty of other work done, cam belt, head gasket, s/s exhaust etc. £325 absolutley no offers. A good usable daily, but carry a few tools with you to be on the safe side! Tax available at extra cost. PM me if you fancy taking it on.

Posted Image

Theres a series 1 beta saloon in the bo11ox Musée already! :lol: Its my dads daily driver and its not the ideal transport for him really, as whenever anything goes wrong with it (fairly frequently TBH) I have to find the bits on the internet for him and its off the road for days while they arrive, which stresses him out! So he's gonna have the Rover 214 which i have been fixing up lately instead.

Sounds like a great price. Someone over the road from where I grew up had one of these, I used to think it rather impressive. If I had the money I’d be very tempted, just to know that I’d had one, but then I’d be stuffed first time it went wrong and that would effectively render it worthless. Let’s hope it goes to a more clued-up buyer than me hey?

Its at Wisbech, cambs (PE13). Can deliver with the A-frame for a small sum if its not a million miles away.The main let-down with this car, is that the RH front wing and drivers door have been painted with an aerosol (by fatha_bol), they look OK at a distance but then close up the finish is pretty dismal. Thats why its cheap, its the sort of thing that would put me right off. But it is a healthy old tank, the rest of the body is quite amazing really - no welding or lousy repair jobs.

£325 absolutley no offers.

hi m8 wot is ur best price, can u deliver 2 the shetlands, will u px 4 a fibreglass hot dog (1.5m high), duz it have pas, can u give 2 me tonite and i will pay u bak every weak Looks like a nice thing, nice to see the Rover has gone to good use too, would hate to think that new set of trims was for nothing!

I had one of these, sold it it to complete nob and then he had the goodwill not to fill in the new owner document and then 'forgot' to pay road tax. But I think the car is still knocking around. A most generous price for a comfy refined car. I have to say I enjoyed owning my one more than my japanese cars, mainly due to the fact I had do something to it almost every weekend - nothing major just odd little things.

WARNING - additional footage:

Posted Image

here it is as photo'd last night.

Posted Image

this is the dodgy wing and door. Its not so bad, fatha_bol took off all the door handles, trim etc before painting so theres no shitey maksing or paint where it shouldnt be. He used expensive colour-matched aerosols so the paint match is actually pretty decent.

Posted Image

interior

Posted Image

dash

Posted Image

The wheelarches are blebbing up a tiny bit but are a long way from needing welding, and they are well waxoyled inside. heres is the worst of it.

Stop it!!!! Too much temptation. And to be honest I think that you're asking too little for it, surely there must be Lancia Pervs out there who would have a semi lob on for this... I know that the world is monged, but I'd say if you bayed it you'd get 500 groats at least, and being obscure, fwd and with a propensity to fragility you shouldn't get too many knuckle-draggers or methadone users wanting it for a tenner.

I know what you mean... I agree it seems a bit too cheap.I've gotta be honest with you I just don't trust this car. I doint use it myself so have not built up a good karma with it. My dad uses it once a week and he is ALWAYS having to tinker with some trivial feature on it - usually its damp in the dizzy cap, or an air bubble in the coolant pipe going to the autochoke, or something stupid like that. We put a new QH water pump on it a while ago, it lasted 3 months then the seal in it went so we had to do it again. Thats typical of this car. Its bloody awful to work on too, even just getting the dizzy cap off & on is a fuggin war. I dont wanna bay it because i dont trust it not to lead to some sort of dispute if it starts playing up, plus of course the bay is full of cretins and I dont want to bring any needless hassle to my dad. I'm not saying it will play up, I just dont have a good karma with it myself so I am not taking any chances with it and i'm pricing it accordingly in the hope that it will sell to someone reasonably sympathetic off here or R-R.

I know exactly what you mean. I have a very similar relationship with my BMW. On paper it's a bloody good car, yet it always seems to find new and exciting was to irritate me. It's little niggles, all the chuffing time and it kinda grinds you down a bit. That said, I am now using it daily (when I can't pike off with 'Er Indoors spaceship), and it seems to be becoming a more balanced relationship, touch wood.

You really are offering top tat value there Mr Testes.If I wasn't already having to make up excuses for the missus as to how I've just got myself another Renner with nowhere to put it, I'd already be thinking up spurious reasons to justify buying this.Lovely looking thing.

To be fair to it, it is a nice old car overall with some good plus points, and which gets a few admiring glances, he's always getting hassle off his cousin to take it to some classic car shows but fatha_bol is not into that, There are no serious issues on it at all, it just needs someone with the right mindset who's not averse to opening the bonnet fairly regularly.The furthest my dad has been with it is taking it on holiday to Plymouth, where it promptly broke down (lousy connection on a wire from the dizzy) and i had to go and fetch it back on the A-frame. Once it was home in the garage, about 4 mins of tinkering had it fully operational again. Again, 100% typical.

There are no serious issues on it at all, it just needs someone with the right mindset who's not averse to opening the bonnet fairly regularly.

Hmm let me see: Citroen GS vs Lancia BetaReputation for rusting everywhere, with plenty of rust traps and dodgy qualy steelGS Lancia√ √Historically maligned and underratedGS Lancia√ √Reputation for being fiddly and difficult to work on. E.g. clutch is an engine-out job on the GSGS Lancia√ √Quirky, rare and foreignGS Lancia√ √Eats driveshafts for a livingGS Lancia√Regularly has electrical faults of some descriptionGS Lancia(√) √ (qualified because mine's doing quite well recently, electrical problems being limited to an iffy connection on a couple of the instrument panel lighting bulbs).Sounds like it's a good match where owner mindset is concerned, but sadly I can't take this beauty on :( Mark.

I had a short relationship a couple of years back with a GS, and I have to say that I am v v tempted by this. I showed the pics to Mrs P who growled at me :twisted: , but I am trying to use my charms on her ... Mr_B, could the leccy gremins be sorted with a Lumenition type system? I have to admit that I know FAT ZERO about these, but a mate has a Beta coupe (Prob is he lives 150 miles away) and is dead handy. Maybe it needs using a bit more?

Gah. If it wasn't 20,000km away you'd already have an offer. Looks gorgeous.I suspect that if one was brave enough to use it regularly, a lot of the gremlins would sort themselves out. These things just don't like standing around and rusting up their electrical connectors (usual Italian car story). My HPE has a useful penchant for fixing itself if you leave it to its own devices long enough.

Someones coming to look at it today apparently.This car came with a strange two-wire retro-looking solid state Bosch electronic ignition, which, surprise surprise went on the blink not long after Fatha_B got it on the road, meaning a tow home (on a rope this time). It flummoxed me and him for a while, then an auto electrician came to loko at it, he charged us £35 to tell us that he couldnt fix it (the sackless twat). Eventually I got a VW golf distributor and common 3-wire elec ignition module from a scrapyard and transplanted its innards into the lancia dizzy which got it going again and that system is what is on it now.As you say, I think more regular use would do this car no harm at all, often it doesnt move all week then makes one journey on a sunday to take fatha_bol out for a walk in the countryside!

I suspect that if one was brave enough to use it regularly, a lot of the gremlins would sort themselves out. These things just don't like standing around and rusting up their electrical connectors (usual Italian car story). My HPE has a useful penchant for fixing itself if you leave it to its own devices long enough.

This is exactly the case with the R9, when I got it the dash clock was taken as dead & the mileometer was also inoperative. After a week of driving it around, I happened to glance down & notice that the digits had changed on the mileometer & were actually moving as I progressed. I looked at the clock & that had changed too, so I set the right time & it's been right ever since! Magic! :DIf only all niggles sorted themselves out - I'd like the washer jets to squirt water & the passenger door to accept the key as well now please! I'd like reverse gear to stop 'graunching' & 1st gear to stop fighting me! Oh & while you're at it the offside headlight bulb to undim itself....that's everything at the moment. Thanks

Gah. If it wasn't 20,000km away you'd already have an offer. Looks gorgeous.

I suspect that if one was brave enough to use it regularly, a lot of the gremlins would sort themselves out. These things just don't like standing around and rusting up their electrical connectors (usual Italian car story). My HPE has a useful penchant for fixing itself if you leave it to its own devices long enough.

I'd agree with that.My HPE is doing 200+ miles a week in this horrible weather,and ater getting all the annoying problems fixed,including 6 breakdowns in 1 journey, its now 100% reliable...BUT I can never relax driving it,always listening,scanning the gauges,waiting for it to cut out at the lights etc.. I've driven X1/9's for years,and am pretty used to this,but sometimes you just want to get to where you are going...and back again without getting the tools out.

Posted Image