Polo G40 oddball

4wheeledstool

Absolutely love this story. Outstanding job sorting this one, and for keeping one standard (and the other looking standard).

I had a K reg one the same colour around 1999-2000 and it was brilliant fun. I'd forgotten about the oil buzzer thing - I hit the limiter on the A52 going into Derby once and thought the world was about to end.

It had aftermarket OZ alloys and even after I'd had it de-lowered it was undriveable on concrete motorways: over 50mph it would scamper about from lane to lane like a puppy with a chocolate biscuit.

I'd love another. Magic little cars.

that looks amazing great job and full credit to you for doing a full and thorough resto to a car a lot of people wouldn't bother with and s good to see a standard one but one question with that speedo how do you know your doing 30 to avoid gatso trouble

Its not too bad - you get used to the cramped scale pretty quickly!

Well if it wasn't concourse when you got it, it certainly is now.

Great to see a proper job being done. Gives us 'normals' something to aspire to with our motors.

I might take the new wings off my maestro and give them some of that por 15 treatment (or cheaper equivalent).

Cheers man - I don't know about concourse though! I'd like to think of it as quite tidy but built to be driven - concourse standards are far more anal than mine!

Wouldn't have been hard to find a badge, there's one in my cupboard somewhere! I had mine debadged (as it was so rusty around the holes) and kept them when I sold it.

Mine also had leccy windows which seemed a bit extravagant, dealer option by the looks of it. Switches went under the radio next to HRW and rear fog switches.

I still miss it losing traction when changing up to third in the dry, my rectum doesn't twitch nearly as much these days.

wallace_tshirt_cracking_job_bleu2.jpg

That looks fantasitc, It's a really nice colour too. Is that speedo really in MPH though?!

Cheers - the colour looks really well in the sun! The speedo is indeed in MPH thanks to the reduction gear fitted by the importer - compares favourably with GPS too.

I don't think there's a hill big enough to see the needle through the 12 o'clock position though!

Wouldn't have been hard to find a badge, there's one in my cupboard somewhere! I had mine debadged (as it was so rusty around the holes) and kept them when I sold it.

Mine also had leccy windows which seemed a bit extravagant, dealer option by the looks of it. Switches went under the radio next to HRW and rear fog switches.

I still miss it losing traction when changing up to third in the dry, my rectum doesn't twitch nearly as much these days.

If you ever feel the need to sell your badge give us a shout! My grey one has electric windows and central locking - both dealer fitted options - the switches sit next to the cig lighter.

L.S.D. cured the problem of losing traction in dry conditions but made it proper arse clenching in wet conditions!

They'll probably turn up when I've finished clearing out all my "I'll need that some day" car bits from my mothers. Turns out my demand for E36 indicators and Mk3 Golf instrument clusters was lower than I imagined.

Yeah, mine had central locking too. Must have been "official" since I think the boot had an extra position on the lock to isolate it from the doors? I dunno, the insurance made me put a Toad on it which did the locking anyway. No sunroof, no fogs. If you took the caps off the door trims you could see a toothed belt turning the window winder :-)

Superb job you've made of it. Well done.

Always really liked the G40 (the G60 was a bit OTT for my taste), super little Q-car. About 2-3 years ago I was searching for one as a keeper, but all I found were either expensive, rather unloved/poorly mod'd, leggy and needed alot (ALOT!) of work or stupidly overpriced, nice looking but still in need of a good deal of expensive body & engine work.

Thanks! - you're right,sadly it seems that the majority of these that you see for sale are pretty tired now. There's still the odd gem that turns up every now and then though so its worth keeping your ear to the ground if you want one.

Many thanks for all the pleasant comments - much appreciated!

I believe POR15 is used in many marine applications. Its not particularly easy to apply as its very runny and must be built up in several thin coats. It can be sprayed if thinned a little with a specific thinner. If done correctly with the recommended preparation process its a tough,shiny and corrosion resistant coating. If not done correctly it looks like proper arse and will flake off over time. If you get runs in it it sort of reacts with itself where the paint is too thick. Probably best to do a test piece to perfect your technique. (That's what I did anyway!)

Does the supercharger really pressurise the cam-cover? Presumably there is a tube through it.

Lovely job by the way; I wouldn't have put the battery back ,I would want to see that pristine transplanted tray!

*VW batteries belong under the seat.

• 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Managed to track down a new scuttle cover from VW Heritage - the plastic goes brittle over time and they end up splitting all over. -

yATIG2R.jpg

They also supplied me with a proper Leistritz back box to replace the badly fitting pattern one I bought last Spring - not been available at the stealer for a few years now. -

mPGCQf3.jpg

pjvQ8Is.jpg

Had these parts since early October - need to get my finger out!

Been adding to the collection of parts to fit when its back in use again - recent additions include floor mats, rubber mounts for the fuel pump bracket, and a blank key to cut as I only got one with the car. Considering fitting a spare pair of fog lights too.

mx3fX6i.jpg

Undecided as yet about the foglights.....

Was at my unit today and was offered some time on my mate's ramp so I could fit my back box. The thought of doing it on my back has been putting me off the job for months, so I went and fetched the car!

Pattern part -

8hRXuVV.jpg

Genuine part -

FPDr6py.jpg

I'm digging the OE satin black finish - looks just like the cars in the brochures!

Had a good look around for oil leaks while it was in the air - pleased to report that its all still good and dry under there!

plkqJns.jpg

Finally put it away after a good drive around in pleasant weather. (About time it got better!)

3tdt1MM.jpg

I bought some spares off a chap that had G40ed a breadvan. He'd used some steels that were wide enough without being sticky-outy and the rest of it was pure grandma-spec apart from the engine - ported charger, little pulley, modded throttle body, ECU remap and a new exhaust. 150-odd on the dyno, still had the "Fox" stickers and white wheeltrims. Great for upsetting folk in posh cars.

Stunning. Everyone in the office at Kelsey has a soft spot for these cars.

Cheers!

I bought some spares off a chap that had G40ed a breadvan. He'd used some steels that were wide enough without being sticky-outy and the rest of it was pure grandma-spec apart from the engine - ported charger, little pulley, modded throttle body, ECU remap and a new exhaust. 150-odd on the dyno, still had the "Fox" stickers and white wheeltrims. Great for upsetting folk in posh cars.

Aye - there are a couple of G40'd breaddies about - top sleepers!

it looked nice to me in the first pictures. But it looks even better now, this is a great thread.

Cheers! It didn't look so good up close when I bought it - the pictures just don't show how shonky it was. (And I guess I'm a little bit anal about paint!)