Polo G40 oddball

4wheeledstool

Standard G40 brakes weren't much better, thanks to the famous LHD-RHD conversion involving meccano and crossed fingers. They had bigger, vented discs but still had to fit under 13" wheels so most upgrades were to wheel size first.

The G40 is the reason I still brake too early in every car, ever, 12 years after I sold it!

• 1 month later...

Been getting a fair bit of use out of this recently - the supercharger is now run in, so it can now be driven as though stolen. The poor grey one hasn't had a look in for a while - I suppose that as I age, noise and speed are less appealing!

qnQz5T4.jpg

9QurZIL.jpg

Better brakes WOULD be nice though!

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I was recommended this stuff by a friend with really nice plastic pieces on his 205GTI.

jHVA1vF.jpg

Thought I'd give it a go - I dislike repeatedly cheering up old plastics enough to paint them all body colour on my other one!

uGyDwcQ.jpg

Looks a fair bit "blacker" on the treated part - only time will tell if it lasts though. My mate's Peugeot still looks fine several years after he did his, so fingers crossed!

I didn't know how much work had gone into this, looked really nice, thought T plate was a bit late.

Cheers! Plate gets a few double takes when out and about!

Stations comment echoes what I wanted to say. Car looked like new. Taa for the ride to town food made me alive again!

Thank you kindly! No probs - you looked proper ruined - knowing what that feels like, it was the least I could do!

This car looks even better in the metal (and refurbed plastic) than it does in the photos, and that's really saying something.  Am proper jealous!  Really glad you brought it along for perving over.

Many thanks! The first owner came from your neck of the woods - it was bought from Corner Park Garage in Swansea, and they lived in Ammanford.

Mmm, lots of lovely G40-friendly roads around Ammanford (I came through it on my way home from Devil's Bridge in fact).  Corner Park is still going strong, it's a sort of homebrew local CarCraft next door to what used to be a Ford and then Visteon gearbox plant back in the day.

• 1 month later...

Dug this out for the VW show at Tatton Park at the weekend. Gave it a half decent clean just before it went dark -

fDS8Fuo.jpg

Sunday morning, and it absolutely pissed it down for the journey there. This was the first real world test of the repaired battery tray, and I'm pleased to report that my feet remained drier than a ship's biscuit. The sun came out soon enough, and no doubt ripened many pineapples over the rest of the day.

UZ10h1l.jpg

Corner Park is still going strong, it's a sort of homebrew local CarCraft next door to what used to be a Ford and then Visteon gearbox plant back in the day.

Fun fact - my granddad designed the machine shop for the Ford/Visteon plant. 

If it was a Swansea car, it's highly likely I saw it at some point in my youth..! 

Really lovely job you've done on it, too. There's something weirdly satisfying about watching a small car like this be restored to former glories, rather than some E-Type/Ferrari, etc.

• 1 month later...

Really lovely job you've done on it, too. There's something weirdly satisfying about watching a small car like this be restored to former glories, rather than some E-Type/Ferrari, etc.

Cheers!

I always seem to forget what a massive pain in the cock cleaning these wheels is. Fortunately it doesn't happen all that often!

IvSJXAp.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Was just thinking the other day - its about time the oil was changed in this. On arrival at my unit this afternoon, I caught sight of an empty ramp next door! An opportunity like this cannot be wasted - so I quickly got the job done before the chance was gone.

oyaPThF.jpg

Had another good look about for any leaks - all is good still!

R9V8I9j.jpg

One day I'm gonna get me a two poster all to myself :)

• 3 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Many thanks Ken!

Finally got round to wheel bearing replacement last weekend. Because it's only been together for a couple of years (and copper grease was used) it came apart very easily.

cVsfoDD.jpg

xR0zB41.jpg

New bearing pressed in

wZHWBzC.jpg

Job done

OfZXAMl.jpg

Other side still to do!

U936mAY.jpg

The other side isn't noisy, but I like to replace things in pairs. :)