Cars you didn't know existed until very recently.

philibusmo

It's a Ford 10 engine in a chassis made from surplus rocket tubes. No shit. They were supposed to be dual purpose road and sprint/trials cars, in an era when very few trials specials were really suitable for sustained road use. I know somebody who dailied his in the '60s but it didn't sound particularly civilised

It's a Ford 10 engine in a chassis made from surplus rocket tubes. No shit. They were supposed to be dual purpose road and sprint/trials cars, in an era when very few trials specials were really suitable for sustained road use. I know somebody who dailied his in the '60s but it didn't sound particularly civilised

An ex-girlfriend's dad's accountant (bit convoluted, I know) did exactly this for 25 years that I know of.   He bought an A40 Devon for really bad-weather days but didn't like it.   Last time I saw him (a couple of summers ago) he had the most delapidated flat-nose Cowley outside the shop.   He still has the Dellow.

Apologies for this not being a car.   Even more apologies and grovelling for it's new-ness but I saw one of these outside our CoOp today and a small drip of wantage oozed into my underpants... 

Fuck me they are dear, though

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=bultaco+electric+bike&rlz=1C1CHBD_en-GBGB689GB689&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwjqv-yY_t3dAhVKXMAKHRK6Cv4Q_AUIDygC&biw=1536&bih=755#imgrc=KLNSWxevmWD1JM:

OzpabfE.jpg

Mk1 Granada with the 2.8i engine. Totally new one to me.

I didn't think the 2.8i arrived in the Granada till the TRX-wheeled Mk2s of late 1977, even in Germany. I can't translate German, was this a special / tuned version of the German-spec Mk1?

Sunsundegui from the land of the rising yen

Cough from the land of the rising Euro cough

They're made in Spain, at Alsasua, near the French border. Founded in 1944 to repair railway coaches, when RENFE opened their own carriage repair works Sunsundegui diversified into building road coaches (obvious transferable skills). There's quite a few in the UK, using Volvo underpinnings.

post-3405-0-16976000-1538163259_thumb.jpg

post-3405-0-97282400-1538163279_thumb.jpg

see https://www.sunsundegui.com/

This is going to sound dumb so I hope someone can help me out here ( I'm not good at remembering things, especially names ), a bloke asked me what AS means on the sticker on my car so I told him, he said he had a 1970 Jag in 1976 that turned out to be a rare beast ( but I can't remember the name of it ) he said it was twinned skinned and looked like new from the outside but rusted to ferk on the inside and after that he bought a German car that he loved and he explained it was made by one of the sons of Porsche as a 'side line', the cars had female names, he sold it because it was very rusty.. Oim not ffik.. Just got a head full of cold and can't remember nuffink ... ( My excuse )..

The first Sunsundegui Siderals came to the UK in 2002 with the first Volvo B12M and B12B chassis; the current SC7 is a facelift of that model. They also do an SC5 midicoach and an SB3? dual purpose bus on the B8R in the UK.

In Europe they come on various chassis but over here they're Volvo only.

I worked for a company who ended up with ten or so SC7s on B11R chassis. Build quality on them is best described as "marginal" and the older Siderals are prone to water ingress.

It appears I've only ever taken one photo of a Sideral, JIB 3032 with John Bennett of Kilwinning; it was new to Dick, Slough as GN53 HOL.515818fccded86622b54b4a51e7fc74f.jpg

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

This is going to sound dumb so I hope someone can help me out here ( I'm not good at remembering things, especially names ), a bloke asked me what AS means on the sticker on my car so I told him, he said he had a 1970 Jag in 1976 that turned out to be a rare beast ( but I can't remember the name of it ) he said it was twinned skinned and looked like new from the outside but rusted to ferk on the inside and after that he bought a German car that he loved and he explained it was made by one of the sons of Porsche as a 'side line', the cars had female names, he sold it because it was very rusty.. Oim not ffik.. Just got a head full of cold and can't remember nuffink ... ( My excuse )..

Monica? Anglo-French effort.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Monica_(automobile)

Monica_L2.jpg

I'd seen those coaches and assumed they were Chinese, too.  

Sunsundegui defiantly has an 'oriental' twang to it.

How about Rieju motorbikes? Chinese, Taiwanese or Korean?

None of the above - they're Spanish as well. Quite an old company, established in 1934 by Luis Riera Carré and Jaime Juanola Farrés to make bicycle accessories, followed by whole push bikes, and then in 1947 they made their first motorbike. They've won a few competitions in their time and are regarded as being 'not bad'. Current models use Yamaha engines from 50cc to 200cc.

post-3405-0-30799300-1538233379_thumb.jpg

OzpabfE.jpg

Mk1 Granada with the 2.8i engine. Totally new one to me.

I didn't think the 2.8i arrived in the Granada till the TRX-wheeled Mk2s of late 1977, even in Germany. I can't translate German, was this a special / tuned version of the German-spec Mk1?

(sorry for huge pic but resizing it blurred the text in the pic)

Sondermodell - 'special model' (limited edition in English I'd say), so at a guess this is a desirable end of production model. Possibly a shortage of the old V6 at the end of production and a need to ramp up and test production of the new V6 (pure speculation on my part).

Sunsundegui defiantly has an 'oriental' twang to it.

How about Rieju motorbikes? Chinese, Taiwanese or Korean?

None of the above - they're Spanish as well. Quite an old company, established in 1934 by Luis Riera Carré and Jaime Juanola Farrés to make bicycle accessories, followed by whole push bikes, and then in 1947 they made their first motorbike. They've won a few competitions in their time and are regarded as being 'not bad'. Current models use Yamaha engines from 50cc to 200cc.

attachicon.gifThickBox_rs125.jpg

That looks the mutts nuts, why aren’t hordes of 17 year olds buying these?

^ Thanks Bianconery, Mercrocker also came to that conclusion. In all my years of Ford geekery I'd never heard of it till yesterday. I thought the German Granadas used the 2.6 Cologne, and (possibly) a 2.8 carb for around 1976/7 but injection?? You could get German Capris with the Essex 3-litre but I don't know if 3.0 Granadas were available.

Which leads onto the question - which Mk1 models could be bought with ths 2.8i? A 'S' model like the UK 3000S? A Ghia? A Ghia coupe?

May be worth checking out if 1977 German Ford brochures are on the net.

Cough from the land of the rising Euro cough

They're made in Spain, at Alsasua, near the French border. Founded in 1944 to repair railway coaches, when RENFE opened their own carriage repair works Sunsundegui diversified into building road coaches (obvious transferable skills). There's quite a few in the UK, using Volvo underpinnings.

31151140824_9864907333_b.jpg

26226760061_6504d3640f_b.jpg

see https://www.sunsundegui.com/

They also built the railcars for the Benidorm to Denia narrow gauge system in Spain. Build quality, err not the same as the old heaps that ran this line.

That's the Badger !! Borgward Isabella, he took great pains to force the 'w' as a 'V'.. LOL.. were they any good ? 

Yes.  Nicely built, good looking, independent suspension all round and a good engine.  They were a quite popular purchase by UK servicemen stationed in Germany (BAOR) - those that could afford one!