Cars you didn't know existed until very recently.

philibusmo

Isdera Spyder 036i

Isdera Spyder 036i

Isdera first introduced the Spyder 036i in 1987, it was the newly updated version of the Spyder 033i which had been unveiled in 1982. Both cars feature a tubular steel spaceframe chassis with a lightweight fiberglass body, and a mid-mounted engine from Mercedes.

Fast Facts – The Isdera Spyder 036i

Isdera was founded in 1982 by automotive designer Eberhard Schulz, who had earlier designed the 1969 Erator GTE and the 1978 Mercedes-Benz CW311 concept car.

Mercedes declined to put the CW311 concept car into production, so Schulz decided to do it himself, renaming it the Isdera Imperator 108i.

The Isdera Spyder was developed as the similarly-styled but lower-powered sibling to the Imperator, the most obvious external difference between the two cars being the lack of a roof on the Spyder.

The Isdera Spyder 036i is powered by a mid-mounted Mercedes-Benz M103 inline-six with a displacement of 3.0 liters, power is sent to the rear wheels via a 5-speed manual transaxle.

Isdera – The Little-Known German Supercar M

Isdera Spyder 036i 11

Isdera Spyder 036i 4

Isdera Spyder 036i 2

Isdera Spyder 036i 8

Isdera Spyder 036i 3

LINK

Not quite a car I didn't know existed, but a feature of a car I owned that I didn't know it had;

On the road, the new adaptive cruise control includes a radar that adapts the speed of Vel Satis to that of the vehicle in front. 

From - https://www.autointell.com/european_companies/renault/renault-cars/vel-satis/renault_velsatis-01.htm

'Well, Fuck me', is the expression I was looking for. I knew it had cruise, but intelligent cruise back in 2003?

Anyway, came here because I noticed a Hyundai Bayon in front of me earlier.

image.png.60666536e4c1e56d62a55c6ba0b0816f.png

It describes itself variously on Hyundai's website as a "stylish urban crossover",  and a '"small-on-the-outside, big-on-the-inside crossover SUV that is designed to make a lasting impression... packed with smart tech, connectivity features and advanced safety equipment".

Kinda looks like every other small pumped-up estate thingy you see knocking around these days.

image.png.bb29ddb4a1bcf04ec28a927bf20f450d.png

I think I only clocked it because it was the same faintly unusual colour as my father's new i20 (Mangrove Green).

Apparently this one's based on the i20 platform, is built in Turkey, and went on sale in March 2021 - so it's taken me a full two years to even notice they exist...

1 hour ago, barefoot said:

Not quite a car I didn't know existed, but a feature of a car I owned that I didn't know it had;

On the road, the new adaptive cruise control includes a radar that adapts the speed of Vel Satis to that of the vehicle in front. 

From - https://www.autointell.com/european_companies/renault/renault-cars/vel-satis/renault_velsatis-01.htm

'Well, Fuck me', is the expression I was looking for. I knew it had cruise, but intelligent cruise back in 2003?

I was surprised to find that my 2002 Jaguar S-Type had it in the handbook and had the lights for it on the dash in test mode. Mine didn't have it though

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/134510792525

Here is a 2000 Jaguar XKR that claims several times in the ad to have it, but I'm not sure yet if I believe it.....

On 24/03/2023 at 10:06, bunglebus said:

Just passed a Hyundai Bayon

image.png.2eac76f322906d1cbc9e55c7612f4413.png

20230324_100754.jpg

5 hours ago, Datsuncog said:

Anyway, came here because I noticed a Hyundai Bayon in front of me earlier.

image.png.60666536e4c1e56d62a55c6ba0b0816f.png

It describes itself variously on Hyundai's website as a "stylish urban crossover",  and a '"small-on-the-outside, big-on-the-inside crossover SUV that is designed to make a lasting impression... packed with smart tech, connectivity features and advanced safety equipment".

Kinda looks like every other small pumped-up estate thingy you see knocking around these days.

image.png.bb29ddb4a1bcf04ec28a927bf20f450d.png

I think I only clocked it because it was the same faintly unusual colour as my father's new i20 (Mangrove Green).

Apparently this one's based on the i20 platform, is built in Turkey, and went on sale in March 2021 - so it's taken me a full two years to even notice they exist...

Keep up at the back!

Next you'll be telling me you've seen a Chang Lee ZLZKC-010

ChangLi EV Mini Pickup – ChangLiEV

Mercedes 380-500SEC Gullwing

The Mercedes 380-500SEC Gullwings made by Styling-Garage (SGS) from Hamburg are absolute legends when it comes to 1980s styling and coachbuilding. And although the versions made in Hamburg are the best known, they're not only company that made them. About two years after Styling-Garage unveiled their 500SGS Gullwing, Swiss car creator Franco Sbarro displayed a very similar car at the 1983 Geneva car salon. The car was named Sbarro Mercedes 500 Portes Papillon "Gullwing". Quite a mouthfull. 

At first glance the car looks quite similar to the 500SGS Gullwing by Styling-Garage, but in details there are huge differences. The biggest difference is the amount of plastic involved: the Sbarro Portes Papillon has doors made from plastic, which are shorter than the regular doors of a Mercedes SEC, with the bottom part now integrated in the doorstep. This makes entering the Sbarro Gullwing much harder. 

A big difference over the Gullwing-doored 500SECs built by SGS was that Sbarro also offered performance upgrades: the regular 5.0 litre engine from the Mercedes 500SEC could be swapped for the 6.9 litre V8 engine from the W116 450SEL 6.9.

As with the cars made by Styling-Garage, the majority of the Sbarro Gullwings went to the Middle-East. Who other than Arab Sheiks and Royals could pay a pricetag of 180.000 Swiss Francs / 200.000 DM?

Sbarro-Shahin-500SEC%20Gullwing-05.jpg

Sbarro-Shahin-500SEC%20Gullwing-06.jpg

Sbarro-Shahin-500SEC%20Gullwing-07.jpg

Sbarro-Shahin-500SEC%20Gullwing-11.jpg

Sbarro-Shahin-500SEC%20Gullwing-02.jpg

Sbarro-Shahin-500SEC%20Gullwing-03.jpg

Sbarro-Shahin-500SEC%20Gullwing-04.jpg

LINK

On 4/4/2023 at 8:57 PM, bunglebus said:

Keep up at the back!

Heh, they're that memorable, clearly!

Funnily enough, I noticed another Beyon last night, a dark blue one, parked in the drive of a house right beside the local Tesco.

I must have driven past it dozens of times - but it's never even registered with me before.

It's weird, I always thought of myself as someone who was 'really into cars' but to be honest I don't recognise half the stuff on the road these days.

I guess when I was younger I had:

• rather more time doing very little;
  • access to Auto Express every week; 
  • terrestrial TV showing me car ads on the regular - not so much a thing with Netflix, YouTube etc;
  • lots of local car dealerships who would launch new models with big graphics in the windows and balloons and stuff to entice you in for a look;
  • a brain that was apparently receptive to noticing very small details about cars, but that now just doesn't seem to.

I don't quite agree with the line that "all cars look the same these days, dunnit?" - there's still plenty of variation in shape and detailing, but I just can't summon the mental energy to distinguish between them.

1989 Toyota 4500GT

The Toyota 4500GT concept debuted at the 1989 Frankfurt Motor Show. A 2-door, 2+2 coupe signaled Toyota's entry into the competitive upper-level luxury coupe class. Although the show-goers almost universally disliked the car's controversial styling at the Frankfurt show, its mechanical components were far more relevant, as they carried over much more closely to its production offspring than the styling did.

Toyota claimed the 4500GT could transport four passengers and their luggage comfortably at a speed of 300 km/h (186 mph). The car had to be both efficient and powerful to achieve this. The body's unusual shape (dropping snout, flat and abrupt rear end) yielded an extremely low drag coefficient for the time of Cd=0.29.

The power plant was quite impressive. A derivative of Toyota's then-new 1UZ-FE V8, the 4500GT boasted an additional 500 cc of displacement over the production unit, twin overhead camshafts per cylinder bank, and five valves per cylinder. This alloy V8 was mated with a six-speed manual transmission, which was mounted at the rear with the differential to even out the front/rear weight balance. This high-tech masterpiece produced 220 kW (295 bhp) at 6600 rpm and 390 N⋅m (288 lb-ft) at 4800 rpm.

ab08cf_789929bfb8d14e93a3eea3e700fa55fc~mv2.jpg

ab08cf_35846e4462594a5ba82eb51435d12769~mv2.jpg

ab08cf_8ee330b259e140fd9e37432002875ee0~mv2.jpg

ab08cf_142cb10593ad44dc9ea883848235be2c~mv2.jpg

LINK