Cars you didn't know existed until very recently.

philibusmo

10 hours ago, sheffcortinacentre said:

So same as now.

It is interesting to idle away a few minutes with a classic car mag from the late 80s and measuringworth.com just to see how completely tonto things went back then. We aren't even close to it at the moment.

Aníbal  Podadera.

The Aníbal  Podadera is the result of the redesign of the IbizaRider, a project that Francisco Podadera carried out for Seat. This was was rejected by Volkswagen.  Podadera then  set up his own company and undertake its construction and marketing.        There were two versions, the F-90 with the 90 hp System Porsche naturally aspirated engine and the F-100 with the 105 hp electronic injection engine.

After having built 83 units, the company was dissolved in 1992 due to financial problems.          

image.jpeg.5cbcddf4ad7a3a5eb8cda47dce07a784.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.38f55ec940a6e9b02f15039134ee18c1.jpeg

12 hours ago, Steve79 said:

With the exception of the VXR8 but even thats a Holden.

My original statement stands!

Full pedant mode - the VXR8 is an HSV Clubsport/GTS (depending on year), not a Holden. However, both of those models are based on the Holden Commodore... so I guess you could say it's a tarted up Holden badged as a Vauxhall...

But back on topic, I've also realised that the only good modern Vauxhalls are actually not Vauxhalls...

The aforementioned VXR8

The Monaro (the regular versions are Holdens, I'm not 100% sure if the VXRs are  HSVs or not)

The Maloo R8 LSA - HSV, obviously

The VX220 - Lotus, as discussed

Have I missed any?

I'm not including the Lotus Carlton in this list as I'm of the opinion that older Vauxhalls are in fact not shit. However that may be because they've always been old cars to me (my cut-off for older/modern is the turn of the century) so maybe I'm just more forgiving of their faults.

1 minute ago, AnnoyingPentium said:

Which, at that time, was based on the Opel/Vauxhall Omega, no?

Nope, the VE Commodore was developed exclusively by Holden for the Australian market. The VF was basically a facelift of the VE, and then the ZB was an Insignia.

I think you are correct for previous generations of the Commodore, a quick Google search said "since 1988" for Omega/Commodore relations, so I'm going with the second and third generations (which is a whole alphabet of sub-generations). For context, the VE/VF is the forth generation.

5 minutes ago, GR8 PL8 M8 said:

Nope, the VE Commodore was developed exclusively by Holden for the Australian market. The VF was basically a facelift of the VE, and then the ZB was an Insignia.

I think you are correct for previous generations of the Commodore, a quick Google search said "since 1988" for Omega/Commodore relations, so I'm going with the second and third generations (which is a whole alphabet of sub-generations). For context, the VE/VF is the forth generation.

I'm maybe thinking of the later 'VT' and newer Commodores, perhaps lol.

The distinction "A Monaro is not a Vauxhall" is exactly the same as the distinction "a Mustang is not a Ford UK car"

Vauxhall is just a brand name that at that time was used by GM for a particular market. It's like listing all the Ford products that are not built by Ford UK.

14 hours ago, High Jetter said:

Might suit a certain J R Mogg, Esq.

martc

'I wouldn't be seen dead in one of those new fangled horseless carriages'.

And it's The Right Honourable Jacob Rees Mogg to you.

5 minutes ago, Leyland Worldmaster said:

One would like to respectfully disagree; you were observed travelling in comfort earlier in your career:

I'd not been to one of Uncle Boris's parties and was not tired and emotional. It didn't happen, nothing to see here, fake news. And I can't say anything else until the report into my not travelling in a car is published.

Yesterday I spotted a transporter loaded with these weird little vans that look like previous-gen Transits shrunk in the wash and had no idea what they were.

dfsk.jpg.d54bc5c761facd178328c4ca9fe7ed3c.jpg

Meet the DFSK EC35, a cheap and cheerful electric van from those Chinese folks who used to make the little trucks with the BMW-style grilles.

On 08/06/2022 at 19:46, martc said:

image.png.a011608799540799c1468c4a0634cf75.png

image.thumb.png.02c854b3bcf06229ba0f0b09acdef479.png

Wartburg Melkus RS1000. 101 where made in Dresden between 1969 and 1979, it had a fibreglass body, a tuned Wartburg 353 engine, with 3 carburettors rather than the usual one and a Barkus 5 speed gearbox. It developed 68hp and could do 165 km/h. Very decadent.

And despite its obscurity, @Datsuncogfound me one!

2022-06-12_04-03-57.jpg

I went to a car show in Devon on Sunday and saw this XL1 diesel electric hybrid. Had no recollection of them before but a search suggests they are known to some Shiters here. 250 built. The owner of this one was very protective as it seems the interior can get very scratched because it is made of lightweight fragile material. So he was fending off kids who wanted to climb in. He said it does 150mpg.67EA115C-359E-437E-826F-A780F5F526B5.thumb.jpeg.b6f935d84eb5fbce592630bd5b4d3b12.jpeg