Jump to content

Cars you didn't know existed until very recently.


philibusmo

Recommended Posts

53 minutes ago, High Jetter said:

Wow. How many were made, I wonder?

One. Unless this is a replica of the prototype, in which case two. 
 

One of many BMC/BL evaluations of a variation on an existing/upcoming model. Deemed to have a limited appeal to buyers, so not worth the tooling needed to put into production. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 11/20/2021 at 9:59 PM, martc said:

image.png.c9a438bdcc2231876f7b25fb572e9a63.png

image.png.ac2bb5b0735ffc23e4755e1cec72ff56.png

Lada Vesta Sport (1.8l petrol, 145 HP). I quite like this; I could see myself swanning around in one, any matches to other models, or is it a pioneer of design?

Yes, it's related to Dacia Logan (so a cheaper and older Clio), but with different engines. From 2025 will share the same platform.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Slight porkie here, it turns out I did know of this car, just forgot about it until seeing one this morning in the metal...

The Renault Ankara...

20211126_050410.thumb.png.4a0040fbb36ce10fc37d6e0b005b37cd.png

I'm getting vibes of Volvo S60 Cross Country from it due to ride height. (Hardly any taller than my 500 tho) 

I've a feeling this will be a rather rare sight here in the UK, simply because it's not from Ze Germans and it's in an alreday small niche market. 

I also won't lie, I actually don't hate it like I though would. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

21 hours ago, STUNO said:

? ? ? ?  Vanden Plas Princess of course !

van.thumb.jpg.b8e29ec0bccfbe66e7df3fff32f48644.jpg

 

vanb.thumb.jpg.e15a67b74e360c3e6d05de4cd494cb9d.jpg

 

vana.thumb.jpg.e55b16e207482d111a32e08afee25631.jpg

 

Now find another one.

Wow. Is that real? I mean it's not somebody's creation?

Wether it is one or the other it is beautifully done. Just what the 3-litre needed. I wonder if it has a better engine - the lump in the original car was pretty gutless - I had one.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

33 minutes ago, 17-Coffees said:

Slight porkie here, it turns out I did know of this car, just forgot about it until seeing one this morning in the metal...

The Renault Ankara...

20211126_050410.thumb.png.4a0040fbb36ce10fc37d6e0b005b37cd.png

I'm getting vibes of Volvo S60 Cross Country from it due to ride height. (Hardly any taller than my 500 tho) 

I've a feeling this will be a rather rare sight here in the UK, simply because it's not from Ze Germans and it's in an alreday small niche market. 

I also won't lie, I actually don't hate it like I though would. 

It may not even be made in RHD.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

22 hours ago, Formula Autos said:

One. Unless this is a replica of the prototype, in which case two. 
 

One of many BMC/BL evaluations of a variation on an existing/upcoming model. Deemed to have a limited appeal to buyers, so not worth the tooling needed to put into production. 

And Formula Autos wins the chance to buy it !

1972 Austin Other AUSTIN 3 LItre | Trade Me Motors

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, 17-Coffees said:

Slight porkie here, it turns out I did know of this car, just forgot about it until seeing one this morning in the metal...

The Renault Ankara...

20211126_050410.thumb.png.4a0040fbb36ce10fc37d6e0b005b37cd.png

I'm getting vibes of Volvo S60 Cross Country from it due to ride height. (Hardly any taller than my 500 tho) 

I've a feeling this will be a rather rare sight here in the UK, simply because it's not from Ze Germans and it's in an alreday small niche market. 

I also won't lie, I actually don't hate it like I though would. 

Rear end reminds me of the GLC Coupe thing. I'm partial to a Renault. I'm not sure I'd go as far as an Avantime, but I've had a few Kadjars on full week's test drives (I used to do a fair bit of test driving for our company car folk). The Kadjar is much better than the Qashqai that it's based on, but has the wrong badge even though ironically it's cheaper!

See also the Captur vs the Juke.

The Arkana isn't actually available to order yet, so the one above will be one of the Renault test cars (they often send them out to people like us months ahead of launch). It's on pre-order only right now. It's also a mild hybrid if anyone was interested, which helps with road tax and so on.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

When my car was in the dealers last month, there was an Arkana in the showroom, and one parked outside. 

 

I like them but they aren't as big as they look in pictures. Yet another 5 seater car so long as the centre rear passengers arse is only 6" wide. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 hours ago, lesapandre said:

Wow. Is that real? I mean it's not somebody's creation?

Wether it is one or the other it is beautifully done. Just what the 3-litre needed. I wonder if it has a better engine - the lump in the original car was pretty gutless - I had one.

My brain is telling me that at least one of the prototypes had a Rover V8 in it but I may have made that up. But it sounds quite feasible, I'm sure BL tried putting that engine in at least one of every car they made. Whilst it would give more power than the standard engine I think the original would be nicer. Straight six beats V8 in my book for a cruiser. 

It seems a bit ironic that BMC would put many different badges on almost everything in their fleet but the one car that would benefit from an upmarket image was only available as an Austin. I think the timing was all wrong unfortunately. It was released just as BMC became British Leyland and all of a sudden Jaguar, Rover and Triumph went from being rivals to stablemates and the last thing they needed was another large car. 

My friend had a manual overdrive one for several years and it was a lovely way to travel. I had one myself for a few months but never got round to getting it on the road but I do have a soft spot for them. I feel I need to pop over to AROnline and see if I can find any evidence of the V8 or was it just a dream? 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Yes the mule had the V8.

I had one of the 6's and found to engine a bit limited - but it may have been my example.

A chronically wasted opportunity. The NZ one looks a beauty.

I think the Austin badge was a prestige thing - Austin had to have a big model - of course at that point Austin was still a well regarded marque.

Recreating the V8 would be fun.  

They handled nicely and felt well-made.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

At the time my friend had his I had a Wolseley 18/85 S. That's the twin carb one. So I had 97hp and he had 123 but the performance of the two seemed almost identical and of course the interior was almost identical too. The 3 Litre had a different dashboard. Both were made from slabs of wood but the Austin had a strip speedo and the Wolseley had round gauges. 

But the 3 Litre did feel more special. It rode completely differently to the smaller Crab, much smoother, had self levelling of course and the straight six just sounds lovely even if it was no faster. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

15 hours ago, lesapandre said:

It may not even be made in RHD.

 

11 hours ago, TheOtherStu said:

Rear end reminds me of the GLC Coupe thing. I'm partial to a Renault. I'm not sure I'd go as far as an Avantime, but I've had a few Kadjars on full week's test drives (I used to do a fair bit of test driving for our company car folk). The Kadjar is much better than the Qashqai that it's based on, but has the wrong badge even though ironically it's cheaper!

See also the Captur vs the Juke.

The Arkana isn't actually available to order yet, so the one above will be one of the Renault test cars (they often send them out to people like us months ahead of launch). It's on pre-order only right now. It's also a mild hybrid if anyone was interested, which helps with road tax and so on.

https://www.renault.co.uk/cars/arkana-ljl-ph1-reveal.html

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 11/26/2021 at 10:54 AM, TheOtherStu said:

The Arkana isn't actually available to order yet, so the one above will be one of the Renault test cars (they often send them out to people like us months ahead of launch). It's on pre-order only right now. It's also a mild hybrid if anyone was interested, which helps with road tax and so on.

I'll speak to the owner of it next time we are on the same shift at work,  it's on a personal reg (why I blanked it in the photo).

Curious to find out more now.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...