philibusmo

Cars you didn't know existed until very recently.

10 minutes ago, Nyphur said:

Ah so its a scooter? I can see how that was related to Invacars now. Thanks.

http://mei-tian.en.hisupplier.com/

in my defence I was not talking about invacars nor was I trying to reference them it just happened that my examples of "WTF IS THAT!" is in my thread :) (keep in mind its a general ramble thread, so yes very rarely non invacar content pops up there! LOL)

but if you insist that I tie a moped to an Invacar... (thats going to involve a lot of duck tape!)

image.thumb.png.b2d425a7763282cefa972d245c0d7b08.png

2 wheel* Invacar :mrgreen:

They did a car derived van, based on a body shell that had various engines including the K series. 

The k series was fitted in lotus elises. In 1.8 vvvvtt form. 

It probably started out with a diesel 

Meitan - didn't know about those until 20 secs ago! Just look at the names of these... the 'push scooter' is probably the most honest name ever given to an ultra- cheap two-wheeler, whilst the 'power scooter' is the least honest.

maitan.thumb.JPG.16cec4260449f098486019c5184332bb.JPG

21 hours ago, LightBulbFun said:

Body type comes back as a Scooter

so my best is it some sort of cheap chinese moped of some kind?

wait until you start banging in reg's wholesale into the DVLA checker you come across some weird shit!

im still wondering what the hell a "Y9" is or what the hell a ROFSUPPLIER is https://autoshite.com/topic/32723-invacar-model-70-acquired-and-general-ramble-thread-index-on-page-1-phase-2-finding-a-suitable-driving-schoolinstructor-getting-lessons-and-a-licence-dhss-parts-book-digitised/?do=findComment&comment=1868017

or most recently whatever this is!

image.thumb.png.407d0e8ad9898a810cd6a2ffd92c6315.png

That would appear to be one of the three Hillman Imp-based Voodoo kit cars, as described at https://www.imps4ever.info/specials/voodoo.html. Being blue I suspect it's the one in the first photo on that page.

6 minutes ago, quicksilver said:

That would appear to be one of the three Hillman Imp-based Voodoo kit cars, as described at https://www.imps4ever.info/specials/voodoo.html. Being blue I suspect it's the one in the first photo on that page.

very interesting :) interesting that its 1977 registered id of expected it to be 1971-1973 from when they where built!

"VOO1S" is actually not its original plate, its original plate is WLA295S, so I wonder if things were fudged to show a Aug 1977 DoFR so whoever owned it could put the VOO1S plate on it!

it has a very short VIN number which backs up it being a low production/1 off thing

and the body type comes back as "sports" but curiously enough colour comes back as blue and orange...

On 10/1/2019 at 7:49 PM, Aston Martin said:

I keep seeing Cupras. Which is a brand that will be dead in about 3 minutes.

My eldest lad has had one for 3 or 4 years.  Slightly insane.

I said I thought it was quick - he said that was comfort mode, see what happens when I push the Cupra button.

😲

The Russian Dragon Astero seems to have been a production car and appears to be some offshoot of UAZ. 

1454399152_dragonastero2.thumb.jpg.f337945a17f30965b88f3c1c2548e832.jpg

There's virtually no English language info on them so translating info takes time.  This helpfully burnt out example suggests its plastic panels over a crude looking but probably quite strong frame.

t1_Astero_11.jpg.d1eca75c16622c2c5f9956c59be2195f.jpg

The interior is Rover 400 wood fillets gone mad and the seats fold flat ala Maxi.  astero_5_500.jpg.01ac00ac717daf66db99900eac5c225f.jpg

Astero_29.jpg

Dragon-Astero.jpg

On 10/5/2019 at 9:34 AM, Joey spud said:

20191003_142829.thumb.jpg.dd38a930bb23427e3cd2a4d6d44466ae.jpg

Spotted this at a prestige merc dealer on Dubai plates.

After a quick google it's a G63 AMG 6x6 of which only 130 were made and cost £370k back in 2016.

Of course it's on Dubai plates, nobody from outside the Middle East would want or need to be seen anywhere near something like that.

Off topic but not too far off topic. Cars I Thought Existed But Can Find Absolutely No Evidence of Them Anywhere.

In earlish 1989 I read a one page first impressions review in What Car? (yeah, yeah, I know) of the Fiat Tipo Abarth. This was some years before the 16V Tipo appeared and the way it was written about was that it was to be the official hot Tipo rather than a pay a few quid for some wheels and embossed headrests that Abarth is today. The numbers talked about where about 140 flat out and about 7ish to 60which if true would have made it a bit more powerful than the 16V we eventually got.

Thing is that there seems to be nothing on the subject anywhere which leads me to believe that I might have dreamed it. Anyone know anything else about it?

This is the for sale ad, that suggests it's an original Abarth.

https://www.autobelle.it/it/a/Vendo_FIAT_TIPO_2000_16V_ABARTH_66401.xhtml

That said, it's the only example I can find at all, anywhere, so who knows?  It's in Italy so perhaps the chances of it being genuine are higher and they were a home market only deal, or perhaps it's all bollocks.

I have little or no interest in the Tipo on account of it being a right ugly old mutt. Other than a brieftest drive in a 16 valve I've no experience of driving any Tipo. I do not wish to own a Tipo and I have little interest in the history of the Tipo. I have no idea why the existence/non-existence of this car has bothered me a bit since the early 90s.

On 10/13/2019 at 7:56 PM, myglaren said:

My eldest lad has had one for 3 or 4 years.  Slightly insane.

I said I thought it was quick - he said that was comfort mode, see what happens when I push the Cupra button.

😲

I read that VAG are potentially going to drop the 'Seat' name and replace it with 'Cupra', in a move to push the brand more upmarket. Whilst at the same time, relegating Skoda to a more cheaper position.

The possible rebranding of Seat forms part of a wider plan for further differentiation between each of Volkswagen’s key volume car brands. Nothing is official yet, although Diess indicated Skoda is set to adopt a more budget-oriented role and Seat may be taken further upmarket in a future-proofing move for both brands.

Read more here

3 minutes ago, face said:

I read that VAG are potentially going to drop the 'Seat' name and replace it with 'Cupra', in a move to push the brand more upmarket. Whilst at the same time, relegating Skoda to a more cheaper position.

Read more here

Interesting, to me Skoda currently seem to be a step above Seat in terms of quality and spec . Seat seem to aim for the younger market with sportier trim levels and certainly the base spec Seats are less well equipped and cheaper than the equivalent Skoda product in the current range.

Ok so I'm a bit of a Skoda fanboi now being on our third on the trot for family duties but it saddens me that they might be going down market. Over the last few years I've felt that Skoda is kind of like the new Saab (don't shoot me) by that I mean it's the thinking man's choice rather than following the crowd and getting an Audi or VW.

13 hours ago, Amishtat said:

Or have I just never noticed one before? Annoyingly shaky shot of a Honda Lago or Iago 

You never seen one, even if there is one on those beige walls right here. It's a Honda Logo.

35 minutes ago, Tartan58 said:

Interesting, to me Skoda currently seem to be a step above Seat in terms of quality and spec . Seat seem to aim for the younger market with sportier trim levels and certainly the base spec Seats are less well equipped and cheaper than the equivalent Skoda product in the current range.

Ok so I'm a bit of a Skoda fanboi now being on our third on the trot for family duties but it saddens me that they might be going down market. Over the last few years I've felt that Skoda is kind of like the new Saab (don't shoot me) by that I mean it's the thinking man's choice rather than following the crowd and getting an Audi or VW.

Yeah I pretty much see the current situation as you do.

Be a real shame if we lost the Seat name I think.

3 hours ago, bunglebus said:

Spotted this today - didn't seem to be an Axiom - Doovla says Microcar

It's the new name for Ligier - purveyor of 'sans permit' cars and formula 1 chod since Adam was a lad. The things are literally glued together - watch this video - and marvel at the robots at work. I wonder who's to blame for the fantastic bumper/wing alignment shown at 2:54 man or machine?

You can buy one from one of the 45 dealers in the UK - glad to see well known former Reliant fettler Michaels of Selby are amongst them.

http://micro-car.co.uk/index.php