Cars you didn't know existed until very recently.

philibusmo

Ah yes, the Subaru Tribeca, I suppose I did know it existed but now I have seen one, ( and noticed.) Possibly the last suv only available in petrol form in GB.

post-17481-0-24650900-1422185168_thumb.jpg

These remain curiously expensive for something that found less than a thousand buyers, has lots of popular competitors and features the full £500 road tax.

A bit of a munter of a car but I am a Subaru fan so might one day.

Ah yes, the Subaru Tribeca, I suppose I did know it existed but now I have seen one, ( and noticed.) Possibly the last suv only available in petrol form in GB.

attachicon.gifimage.jpg

These remain curiously expensive for something that found less than a thousand buyers, has lots of popular competitors and features the full £500 road tax.

A bit of a munter of a car but I am a Subaru fan so might one day.

I believe a lot of then were fitted with lpg by the importers.

I knew someone up here who had one and when it suffered an lpg problem in Cornwall it was fixed under warranty by the subaru dealer down there.

Today, I learned about some Phrench chod I didn't know before.

The first is Wimille.

Jean Pierre Wimille was a French racing driver, starting his career in the late 20s, and entering his first Grand Prix,
rather unsurprisingly the French one, in 1930.
After the war, he built and designed cars in Paris under the brand-name Wimille. Between 1946 and 1950 around eight cars were built,
at first with Citroën 11CV engines, later with Ford V8-engines.
Jean-Pierre Wimille died at the wheel of a Simca-Gordini during practice runs for the 1949 Buenos Aires Grand Prix.

This is the first type Wimille, with Citroen power:

Wimille_1946_schr%C3%A4g.JPG

1946_Wimille_Jean_Pierre_Prototype_01_re

And this is the second type, with Ford V8 power and styling by Philippe Charbonneaux, who later designed the Renault 16:

Wimille_-_Prototype_03_-_1947_%28M.A.R.C

640px-Wimille_JP1_9_in_2005_-_Flickr_-_d

Note mid-mounted engines and central steering in both cars.

Next is aeroplane/pump/car manufacturer Salmson. I knew of the company and that they made cars, but had no idea they continued car manufacture after WWII.

The Salmson 2300 S is the last car they built, before completely turning to pump production in 1960:

01348233379800px1953_Salmson_2300.jpg

Or even this:

Ssangyong_Korando_Family_RX_260_1995.jpg

That is a re-badged Isuzu Trooper isn't it?

Yep, From Wiki

In 1988, SsangYong Motors started licensed production of the Isuzu Trooper and sold it as the Korando Family,[2] and was only marketed in South Korea, Scandinavia, Southeast Asia and to a lesser degree South America. It used the same 2.2 L diesel engine but later versions used both the 2.3 L Mercedes-Benz turbodiesel engine and the natural aspirated Peugeot 2.5 L diesel engine.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

30 years I did bloody yanks. 30 years.

Then I bought a French car magazine. Just one. And realised that I know fuck all about cars.

Let's start with A.

Arbel:

1958_Arbel_Symetric_02.jpg

It was supposed to be nuclear powered.

Arista:

Arista_JD_Sport_1964.JPG

ATLA:

septem23.jpg

Avolette:

qg5jeot3.jpg

Bouffort:

bouffort2.jpg

Brissonneau:

676157.jpg

Dagonet:

81512b994ce5966a4ae59e46ffc146ab.jpg

De Pontac:

de%20pontac%2057b.jpg

Kiener:

kiener1.jpg

Mochet:

800px-1956MochetCM-125Y.jpg

OTI:

8511528442_4cba401be8_b.jpg

UMAP:

umap01.jpg

VP:

85987210-renault-powered-vp-166r-followe

• 2 weeks later...

post-17913-0-67964700-1427068992_thumb.jpeg  

The Ford Territory, as seen in Australia (possibly New Zealand, too - I don't know).  I'd thought it was a rehash of the Ford Explorer, but since seeing them when I was in Oz in 2012, I've learned they're actually developed from the Ford Falcon BA.  Definitive proof: a 2WD Explorer is FWD while a 2WD Territory is RWD.  

They're not sold over here, which I think is a shame as I quite like the look of them, and don't object to the jacked-up-estate-car type of vehicle.  I'd happily buy a second hand one when I'm next looking for an estate car.