Cars you didn't know existed until very recently.

philibusmo

It's on,y in the past couple of months that I learned of the existence of Opel Diplomat and Admiral Coupes. Someone posted a picture on here and C&SC did a feature around the same time. This sort of discovery shocks me ,in a nice way,when it happens because at 50 I think I know all the cars out there and sometimes even the actual photographs of some of em!

I have even owned a Rekord Coupe and a 2.8 GS/E Commodore Saloon so am probably a little bit more aware of big old Opels than a lot of Engladers.

post-17414-0-51022500-1415633312_thumb.jpgpost-17414-0-81009600-1415633325_thumb.jpg

There were no Admiral coupes, only Diplomats, and only V8s even at that. There were also cabriolets.

Those weren't made by Opel, but by Karmann.

That B-Diplomat coupe is either photoshopped, or a prototype, since no B-Series coupes were produced,

only A-Series, and only 347 of them.

I don't feel so bad about not knowing they existed,now it appears they mostly didn't!

That Diplomat B seems to be homemade ,possibly using a Rekord/ Commodore roof and apparently it's a V12.

Can't find much in English about it,if only we had a resident translator.post-17414-0-24577400-1415642401_thumb.jpg

post-17414-0-58796900-1415642423_thumb.jpgpost-17414-0-51648600-1415642437_thumb.jpg

Bit late to the party but....Last year I had one of those 323 coupe's, looked like a Jap import being automatic but it was supplied new from Norton Way to the one lady owner.Nothing on the V5 about being manufactured before the reg date.It was an M.reg and low mileage but took weeks to sell.

We got the Ford Cortina in saloon and estate version, a noble steed to be sure, but Europe got the Ford Taunus coupé which we weren't allowed.  Blatant favouritism.  I was surprised when I found out about these and was reminded when seeing the Opels above, which are also well lush and not UK market.

ford-taunus-gt-gesehen-am-65470.jpg

NorfolkNWeigh, on 10 Nov 2014 - 6:01 PM, said:

I don't feel so bad about not knowing they existed,now it appears they mostly didn't!

That Diplomat B seems to be homemade ,possibly using a Rekord/ Commodore roof and apparently it's a V12.

Can't find much in English about it,if only we had a resident translator.attachicon.gifimage.jpg

attachicon.gifimage.jpgattachicon.gifimage.jpg

Post the link & I'll summarise it for you ;-)

We get two different Honda Accords, the Accord Euro and Accord.

The Euro is a smaller car than the Accord.

I don't think you get the Accord in UK. Note the different line of the rear door, that tells you they are different bodies,

Accord Euro

post-2915-0-95258300-1415651490_thumb.jpg

post-2915-0-83616300-1415651459_thumb.jpg

post-2915-0-76238900-1415652080_thumb.jpg

Accord

post-2915-0-98289700-1415651902_thumb.jpg

post-2915-0-91113600-1415651514_thumb.jpg

We got the Ford Cortina in saloon and estate version, a noble steed to be sure, but Europe got the Ford Taunus coupé which we weren't allowed.  Blatant favouritism.  I was surprised when I found out about these and was reminded when seeing the Opels above, which are also well lush and not UK market.

ford-taunus-gt-gesehen-am-65470.jpg

You also got later flavours of these which make me quite moist:

292207_1g_detail.jpeg

We get two different Honda Accords, the Accord Euro and Accord.The Euro is a smaller car than the Accord.I don't think you get the Accord in UK. Note the different line of the rear door, that tells you they are different bodies,Accord Euroattachicon.gifaccord euro 1.jpg[img=http://autoshite.com/public/style_images/oldschool

We get the smaller of those cars as an Accord.

I don't think we get the big one anymore but it would have been known as a Legend.

I had never seen that 3-door 323 (323C I think they were called?) until I started seeing a few around Edinburgh in the early 2000s, on (I think) L or M plates. Not sure why that was, don't think they were ever sold new in the UK, so possibly secondhand imports from Ireland, or something like that...

These were sold in the Uk alongside the swoopy 5 dr 323f and 4 door saloon. Sales of the 3 door proved dismal in the extreme and it was replaced after 2 years on sale with the mechanically identical but more conventional looking 3 door when the range was refreshed in late 97 ish.

I only discovered the existence of the Vauxhall Albany when it was mentioned on these pages.  Basically a Vauxhall Midi minibus with comfier seats and metallic paint.  300 sold but the sum total of images in Google are 3 brochure scans, all from the same site.  I doubt there's many left, given how much the Midi tended to rot.

2_63.jpg

http://vauxpedianet.uk2sitebuilder.com/vauxhall-wfr---albany