Cars you didn't know existed until very recently.

philibusmo

On 5/26/2023 at 5:25 PM, Supernaut said:

Nope.

His was an earlier one. A Sonnet II with the 3-pot 2-stroke engine.

I once had a passenger ride in a Sonnet III as above though, with the Ford-sourced V4. It was at Grampian Transport Museum up in Alford, Aberdeenshire.

That's it. I know more about the Sonnet II.

15 hours ago, bunglebus said:

Saw this today. It's an ugly little spud

20230601_141948.jpg

Very odd from the back. They look great from the front though. At least they're trying to do something a bit different rather than all the EV chocolate boxes with strange grills.

image.thumb.png.4b294edf6c2338482e4179cf409332fd.png

8 minutes ago, adw1977 said:

It's based on the ADO16 1100.

I fell over it reading an old article on the ADO16 - led me to https://www.mginfo.co.uk/leyland/?q=node/27 
The view below could almost be a dead ringer for the N reg Triumph 2000 that I got to punt around as a teenager (not ours - my dad had a Toledo 1300 :-( )
image.png.daff99ccf8ad213906d1b097fd91f859.png

14 hours ago, EyesWeldedShut said:

Austin Apache - S.African thingy that looks (to me) like Dolomite or Toledo meets Allegro. 
image.thumb.png.4a050e65d2e6dc2c0c7a2e21dfce5954.png

This started life as a proposed facelift  for the ADO16 range, but was rejected by British Leyland.

The South African Leyland arm thought it was good to go and put it in to production.

The Spanish Authi company took the body shell and made the Authi Victoria. Eventually this car was renamed the Austin Victoria.

480855f992eb7f87f1602e42d5d33b54.jpg

Would this have been more of a success than the Allegro? Well it definitely looks better, but is very much like the Triumphs of teh day and would have confused the buying public no end.

25 minutes ago, MiniMinorMk3 said:

This started life as a proposed facelift  for the ADO16 range, but was rejected by British Leyland.

The South African Leyland arm thought it was good to go and put it in to production.

The Spanish Authi company took the body shell and made the Authi Victoria. Eventually this car was renamed the Austin Victoria.

480855f992eb7f87f1602e42d5d33b54.jpg

Would this have been more of a success than the Allegro? Well it definitely looks better, but is very much like the Triumphs of teh day and would have confused the buying public no end.

As a youngster I had enough trouble with Triumph Toledo/Dolomite/1300/1500 distinction without these poodling around too :-) 
The shot of the red one seems (to my eye) to have more of the ADO16 about it - maybe because there's more of the doors/sills visible?