Cars you didn't know existed until very recently.

philibusmo

On 12/30/2022 at 9:40 PM, Three Speed said:

I've never paid much attention to Minis. I was surprised to see this at the Haynes Museum - one of 3 prototypes designed by Issigonis in 1967 as his idea for a replacement to the original. 3 inches wider, 4 inches shorter and roomier inside and with 42% fewer components (and therefore cheaper) you can see why Issigonis would see it as what was needed. And yet it still has sliding windows and external seams and hinges and looks almost identical to the 1959 car. Interesting - I wonder which parts Issigonis decided were not necessary.1016179871_Miniprototype.thumb.jpg.9645775151993cad54effa71741d5b0c.jpg

Issigonis was dead against wind-up windows on the Mini - they would rob space from his door storage bins, which he thought were much more important.

After BMC merged with Leyland, Harry Webster took over as technical director, and Issigonis was sidelined. They let him continue with his pet projects (like 9X) but the BL management were never serious about taking any of them into production.

image.jpeg.1af719ac3b9c71e36fc8a340e9b25d57.jpeg

I saw a Toyota Corolla fielder taxi earlier, which was a new one on me.

Also in Birmingham I saw loads of large hybrid Honda (I think - now doubting my memory) taxis that looked like jap imports. Maybe a Fit/jazz shuttle, which having googled, it seems may have been imported officially? There’s a whatcar test at least. 

image.thumb.jpeg.c576dcfabe628533baa672de95006a92.jpeg

Starpod!

Picture 3 of 6

As seen on telly's The Apprentice with Alan Sugar.  There's one for sale on Ebay for £20,000, which seems rather steep for something that isn't road registered and probably doesn't run.  Here's a photo of the workings:

Picture 6 of 6

which look like the contents of a computer shop storeroom, but never mind.  

Interestingly, 'Starpod' was a name created for the vehicle for the purposes of the Apprentice episode by one of the teams.  The rival team named their vehicle 'Beepure' and gave it a different livery:

Chloes The Apprentice Blog - Podtastic (S16 E7)

There are at least two of them, then, but what are they?  Judging by the 'quality' of the workings, one might think the vehicles were props knocked up by the television company, but possibly not.  The Ebay seller includes this photo:

Picture 5 of 6

which suggests there are several of the things in existence.  It might be the 'Beepure' car, but it looks to be a different colour.  Anyway, the Starpod bears a strong resemblance to the TRL (Transport Research Laboratory) Greenwich GATEway vehicles from 2018:

gatewaycoverphoto.jpg

which were 'driverless taxis' made by a consortium of bodies including Westfield, the University of Greenwich, the aforementioned TRL and others.  The vehicles were electric and drove themselves around the Greenwich peninsular for a short time.  They were built for research purposes, with a focus on finding out how the general public would react to such things in the wild.  The vehicles never performed revenue earning service and, presumably, became surplus to requirements when the trial ended.  

My guess is that they were sold on and later used in the BBC series.  The Beeb then presumably disposed of the things and now our mystery seller is trying to hawk them to the general public.  God only knows who would want one at any price, let alone £20,000.  There seems to be some sort of remote control box in one of the shots; perhaps it's possible to fire one up and 'drive' it in some fashion manually?  Otherwise they would be entirely immobile, the driverless systems having been decommissioned, and useless.  

29 minutes ago, Volksy said:

Are those 'Starpods' the same as the ones in use at Heathrow T5's 'Pod Parking'?

They run on a designated track between the terminal and the car park.

https://www.heathrow.com/transport-and-directions/heathrow-parking/heathrow-pod-parking-terminal-5

Sure looks like them, although the Greenwich trial suggests that particular vehicle is capable of rather more than the Heathrow shuttle function, which appears to be as a sort of trackless tram.  

Cumberford Martinique:

3d3eb9e15f6f0ac5d6087e8e09cc0cc98a1512c1.jpg

An American neo-classic from 1982 which featured a BMW straight six engine and a Citroen CX hydropneumatic system for suspension and steering.  The body and chassis were aluminium.  Two were made and both still exist, appparently.

b21d08de2ad003fa9aa3a709efbcea21ea37e86f.jpg

46ae2ba416a6b8b8ccb4c23ed0775b0666e1855b.jpg

Oh, and it's probably worth mentioning that the body, despite having an aluminium structure, was partially made of wood!  The wings, cappings and minor details were made of mahogany.  I like it.

nb, the middle photograph would seem to depict car two, on the basis that it has subtle differences from the car in the other photos.  

nb again, it bears a striking resemblance to those varnished wooden model vintage cars that were all the rage in the eighties and nineties and now appear on the shelves of provincial charity shops, along with novelty clear Perspex paperweights filled with viscous liquid and coloured balls.

2 hours ago, FakeConcern said:

I thought that was a Panther De Ville at first glance. The family of a kid I knew at school at school had one and also a Daimler Double Six with the same engine...

Panther-De-ville-white.jpg?q=50&fit=cont

BMC 1800 "Landcrab" doors on these, need Marina door handles for maxium parts bin - anyone got photos of the pink and gold 6 door limo version, I've seen them but I can't find any at the moment. Ideal for the person who wants to drive around in something that looks like it escaped from a funfair ride.

3 hours ago, RichardK said:

We've had the Friend/Freeend 2CV wooden eco car many times haven't we? I heard about that via New Cyclist mag

There was a decent article about it in Cars&Car Conversions late 80s/early 90s; I think I may still have it. Nominative determinism; bloke called Friend Wood builds a wooden car. When I win the lottery I will track him and his car down,  pay to have the thing scanned and make composite ones, as lovely as the shape is the process for building it sounds like a time consuming nightmare.