Cars you didn't know existed until very recently.

philibusmo

VW Fox (AKA Gol) was a Brazilian import sold by American VW dealers from 1987-93.

It was a complete shitbox!  Back in 1993, I wanted to buy a used 1987 Scirocco 16V from my local VW dealer but the salesman kept trying to push me into one of the many run-out Foxes languishing unsold on their forecourt.  He was so insistent that I finally told him off and walked out!

16 minutes ago, Richard_FM said:

The Gols had a Beetle engine from what I remember.

US models had a 1.8 inline four, mounted longitudinally ahead of the front axle, similar to the then-current Passat.  You could only get them with manual gearboxes.  According to another VW salesman I spoke to, VW didn’t want to offer an automatic because, if they did, they would never be able to sell any Golfs!

When I worked for an international company way back when, part of my job was maintaining records of the worldwide car fleet. Most of the staff in Brazil had Gols. I assumed this was an error and added an f to every record. I got told off for wasting time. Luckily I didn't change the many Ambassadors in India to Austins.

16 hours ago, bunglebus said:

VWs lacklustre Fox got replaced by the Up! on the UK market, but it wasn't canned - restyled much like a Golf. Don't think we got a 5 door version here either but I could be wrong

carpixel.net-2014-volkswagen-fox-5-door-43562-wide.jpg

carpixel.net-2016-volkswagen-fox-run-5-door-47827-hd.jpg

So it was basically what the Polo was before it became as big as the original Golf and the Golf GTi became the Golf (fat) GiT.

On 06/11/2022 at 08:35, bunglebus said:

VWs lacklustre Fox got replaced by the Up! on the UK market, but it wasn't canned - restyled much like a Golf. Don't think we got a 5 door version here either but I could be wrong

carpixel.net-2014-volkswagen-fox-5-door-43562-wide.jpg

carpixel.net-2016-volkswagen-fox-run-5-door-47827-hd.jpg

The VW Fox, the old British market one, would be an ideal candidate for 'cars you were aware of at one point but have now totally forgotten'.  You used to see a few of them round Essex when new, on the basis that we'll drive any old rubbish as long as it's got a German badge, but they all seem to have disappeared.  What happened to them?  Perhaps the leases ran out and they were exported to other counties?

1 hour ago, Missy Charm said:

The VW Fox, the old British market one, would be an ideal candidate for 'cars you were aware of at one point but have now totally forgotten'.  You used to see a few of them round Essex when new, on the basis that we'll drive any old rubbish as long as it's got a German badge, but they all seem to have disappeared.  What happened to them?  Perhaps the leases ran out and they were exported to other counties?

I saw a bright yellow poverty spec one the other day. Mmmm, unpainted bumpers. 

1998 Josse Car Indigo 3000

800px-1998JCIndigo3000.jpg

800px-Indigo_3000_-03.jpg

A Swedish designed and manufactured drophead that was supposed to be a low-cost TVR alternative.  It had the usual composite plastic body and spaceframe one associates with this sort of thing, but used Volvo running gear.  The engine was the 3.0 litre straight six from the later 960, driving a Volvo manual gearbox.  Not many were made, as is often the case.  

There are, of course, echoes of Marcos about it, given their earlier experiments with Volvo power.  

7 hours ago, Missy Charm said:

When I worked at VW in Chelmsford, all staff were asked to take one home overnight so we'd have a better knowledge of the car I suppose. They were underwhelming at best.

8 hours ago, Missy Charm said:

Suffolk...? 😉

17 hours ago, artdjones said:

Probably to replace the Pilot woody George Vl had.

342493446_26H.M.KingGeorgeVIofGreatBritainFordV8Pilot.jpg.d78582e265d6693de3c55ca9551556fe.jpg

I remember seeing a b&w photo of the Zephyr being used as mentioned, ie., as a shooting brake for pheasants .. whereas the Pilot woody was I believed used for shooting parties with select guests and the King's favourite gun dogs.  I missed the Sandringham Motoring Pageant this year (June 5th) but hope to attend the next.  

2 hours ago, Bfg said:

I remember seeing a b&w photo of the Zephyr being used as mentioned, ie., as a shooting brake for pheasants .. whereas the Pilot woody was I believed used for shooting parties with select guests and the King's favourite gun dogs.  I missed the Sandringham Motoring Pageant this year (June 5th) but hope to attend the next.  

It is a 9 seater, though, so probably used for members of the shooting party as well.

On 11/7/2022 at 9:52 AM, Missy Charm said:

Probably bollocksed engines which seems quite a thing with them.

5 hours ago, Bfg said:

There's an 'h' in that comment that shouldn't be there...

8 hours ago, artdjones said:

It is a 9 seater, though, so probably used for members of the shooting party as well.

nine people in a Zephyr MkII estate car would be very cosy indeed .. nevertheless helpful for spotlighting the birds in flight with the car's headlamps.  :)