Cars you didn't know existed until very recently.

philibusmo

Bertone Freeclimber. Only sold in Italy and Spain.

A mix of German engine, Italian interior and  a Japanese body.

The basis of the 4x4 is the Daihatsu  Fourtrak (in the United Kingdom) or the Rocky in most markets. In Japan it was sold as the Toyota Blizzard. Just 2,800 were produced.  Unique to this 4x4 over the sister models are, the  BMW 6 cyl. engines (petrol 2.0 and 2.7 plus diesel 2.6). Plus modifications to the body and interior were made by  Bertone. I believe they were also assembled by Bertone.

1991-bertone-freeclimber-for-sale.jpg

https://cdn.motor1.com/images/mgl/ZqgN3/s1/1991-bertone-freeclimber-for-sale.jpg

On 10/20/2022 at 5:46 PM, RayMK said:

That looks ok.  Europe gets palmed off with the ugly ones.  Thanks, Nissan.

You wouldn’t be thanking Nissan if you ever saw one of these turds up close.

This is what replaced the first generation Juke in America and it’s proper third-world garbage.  Built in Brazil and it should have stayed there!

The Juke May have been ugly but at least it was somewhat well made.  The Kicks, however, is just an embarrassment.

50 minutes ago, Remspoor said:

Bertone Freeclimber. Only sold in Italy and Spain.

A mix of German engine, Italian interior and  a Japanese body.

The basis of the 4x4 is the Daihatsu  Fourtrak (in the United Kingdom) or the Rocky in most markets. In Japan it was sold as the Toyota Blizzard. Just 2,800 were produced.  Unique to this 4x4 over the sister models are, the  BMW 6 cyl. engines (petrol 2.0 and 2.7 plus diesel 2.6). Plus modifications to the body and interior were made by  Bertone. I believe they were also assembled by Bertone.

1991-bertone-freeclimber-for-sale.jpg

https://cdn.motor1.com/images/mgl/ZqgN3/s1/1991-bertone-freeclimber-for-sale.jpg

I remember seeing a lot of these in Spain in the 90s, only noticing them because I had a Fourtrak myself at the time.

The top two pics are of a Fourtrak (aka Rugger) clone and is a Freeclimber (I) but the bottom picture is a Sportrak clone (aka Feroza) ,a Freeclimber II.

Rocky was also a name used for both the Fourtrak and Sportrak at various times in different markets.

One of MrsDC's colleagues was talking to her the other day about her first car, in the mid-90s.

Said it was a 'Subaru Vivio', and it was horrible. Tiny engine, very slow.

This rang no bells with me, and after checking she didn't mean a Subaru Justy, reckoned she was maybe confusing it with a Suzuki Alto.

But no, the Vivio did exist - and it was sold in the UK.

1993 Subaru Vivio | Unlicensed since November 2001. I though… | Flickr

No recall of ever encountering one, either on the road or during my time running the parts desk.

Using the search function I did find a reference to the Vivio on this very thread waay back in 2016 - though it was for Japanese market convertible and retro-styled versions.

Well well well.

A couple more that cropped up in an article on the interwebs

The Intermaccanica Murena 429GT

1 Of 10 Ever Made: The 1969 Intermeccanica Murena 429 GT (silodrome.com)

spacer.png

and the Fiat 600 Rendezvous by Vignale

1959 Fiat 600 Rendez Vous by Vignale | Paris | RM Sotheby's (rmsothebys.com)

spacer.png

6 hours ago, Datsuncog said:

One of MrsDC's colleagues was talking to her the other day about her first car, in the mid-90s.

This rang no bells with me, and after checking she didn't mean a Subaru Justy, reckoned she was maybe confusing it with a Suzuki Alto.

No recall of ever encountering one, either on the road or during my time running the parts desk.

Using the search function I did find a reference to the Vivio on this very thread waay back in 2016 - though it was for Japanese market convertible and retro-styled versions.

Well well well.

I've seen a couple, they may have appeared on my spots thread

1994 Subaru Vivio GLi 4wd

1994 Subaru Vivio + 1988 Justy 1.2SL 3dr (2006)

7 hours ago, Datsuncog said:

Well well well.

Subaru entered one for Colin Mc Rae for the 1993 Safari Rally, it didn't take him long to kill it😁

Citroen U55 Cityrama Paris tour bus by Currus

file.jpg

Okay, obviously we all know this existed as it's probably the (second) most famous bus in the world, but I had no idea any of the three built had survived

citroen-cityrama-2022.jpg

There is currently a fundraising drive by a French car club to help with costs of restoration, which they reckon is going to be €400,000, which seems a bit ridiculous as it doesn't seem to be in particularly bad shape as it stands, but there you go. It survives, and it's being restored, so good for them.