Cars you didn't know existed until very recently.

philibusmo

37 minutes ago, High Jetter said:

Anyone know WTF this is?

Unknown.thumb.jpg.4518eda7ca67a342023cdfc35837dead.jpg

'41 Willys Coupe replica hot rod on a VW Beetle chassis.

It may actually be the car in this article:

https://buy.motorious.com/articles/news/300481/vw-beetle-willys-hot-rod

Which is a BGW Spectre Opera Coupe (Beetle).  

9 minutes ago, Missy Charm said:

'41 Willys Coupe replica hot rod on a VW Beetle chassis.

It may actually be the car in this article:

https://buy.motorious.com/articles/news/300481/vw-beetle-willys-hot-rod

Which is a BGW Spectre Opera Coupe (Beetle).  

Many internet points should be awarded. I do think I can just make out NRR on the top line of the reg plate.

The Ford Granada mark one coupe.  Well, you knew such a thing existed already because they're quite commonly known for a 'rare' car.  But, did you know there were two mark one Granada coupes?

Ford-Granada-Mk1-Coupe.jpg

That's the first one, which we all know about.

Ford Granada Coupé | Ford granada, Ford classic cars, Classic cars

That's the other one. 

The difference is in the rear metalwork: the first one's rear side window has a flat bottom edge and a reverse rake at the back edge of the glass, along with constant radius curves on the body; the second has coke bottle styling similar to the mark three Cortina two-door.  

As I understand things, the British market only got the first type, officially, and all were three-litre Ghia spec.  I think they all might have been automatics, and vinyl roofs were pretty much universal.  The Europeans got the ability to order the coupe in any spec., either with or without a vinyl roof; with regards to the latter I think most came without, as the Continentals didn't seem to like the things as much as we did.  They were also able to order the coupe as a lower specification Consul, complete with the basic Consul grille.  There were manuals and autos and engines of all sizes.  Oddly, however, the West German factory turned out coupes in both straight and coke bottle styles.  The coke bottle is more closely associated with the Continent, as it was available there and not here, but it was not universal.  

Here's a straight coupe (possibly a Consul) in Holland:

Ford Granada 2300 coupé 1976 | Haarlem, Netherlands. | Flickr

And that's where the story would end except there were right hand drive coke bottles for the South African and other markets.  The best of those was the V8 Perana:

192 Ford Granada Perana Coupe V8 (1973-74) | Ford Granada Pe… | Flickr

Which is seen here.  It appears that some South African and similar cars ended have up here as grey market imports, meaning that it's possible to see both styles in the UK.  

Saw this monstrosity at a car show this weekend. Never heard of this one before. It's a Lea Francis Lynx apparently and that is the original factory colours!  Apparently they only made a few. They showed it at the motor show and received no orders. No one was stupid enough to actually want one. The company went bust soon after. 1167652448_20220829_1300562.thumb.jpg.bfe86ad9f811269bcc8541fb5cdc6f4d.jpg5723670_20220829_1429062.thumb.jpg.988fe5a708b0f1813f43472c0b3607aa.jpgThis car must certainly qualify as shite!

On 25/08/2022 at 11:44, Datsuncog said:

Since the Mini Countryman was launched in March 1960, a stronger (though not necessarily any more correct) argument could be made that Chevrolet copied BMC's design...

A 1960 Austin 7 Mini Countryman, second oldest survivor | MINI Cooper Forum

(But don't most van doors look like that?)

The wood is glued on and not structural IIRC unlike the minor traveller 

2 minutes ago, Richard_FM said:

spacer.png

This red car is a 1989 Toyota diesel, imported in 1999, though one checking site thinks it's a Honda.

It looks to be a Japanese import Toyota Hilux Surf, which was known here as the 4Runner.  It's not a Honda.  

Honda have, however, experimented with rebadging other marques' jeeps in the past:

Honda's original Jazz was once a rugged 4x4 based on an Isuzu | Wheels

Honda Jazz (Isuzu Mysterious Utility aka Vauxhall/Opel Frontera).  There was also a five door version based on the extended wheelbase MU (MU Wizard/Isuzu Rocky/more names than Prince) called the Honda Passport.  

The Honda Crossroad Must Be the Weirdest, Most Unreliable Honda of All Time

Honda Crossroad based on; well, you know what that is, surely...

1 minute ago, Missy Charm said:

It looks to be a Japanese import Toyota Hilux Surf, which was known here as the 4Runner.  It's not a Honda.  

Honda have, however, experimented with rebadging other marques' jeeps in the past:

Honda Jazz (Isuzu Mysterious Utility aka Vauxhall/Opel Frontera).  There was also a five door version based on the extended wheelbase MU (MU Wizard/Isuzu Rocky/more names than Prince) called the Honda Passport.  

Thanks for letting me know!

4 hours ago, Missy Charm said:

I'll pull that "Jazz" out when someone inevitably complains about the existence of the new Jazz Crosstar - it's simply come full circle!

Great post, I didn't know of the existence of either of these rebadges. I bet that Crossroad would garner a few double-takes over here!

As an aside, Isuzu really had the best names didn't they? Who else would name a car the Mysterious Utility Wizard?

21 hours ago, Missy Charm said:

Honda USA were desperate to jump on the 1990s SUV bandwagon, so they partnered with Isuzu to give us their take on the Isuzu Rodeo.

The result was not just one, but TWO generations of Honda Passport.  Honda's contribution to this effort was to provide some "H" badges and a few drops of glue with which to stick them on.

1280px-1st-Honda-Passport.jpg

1024px-1998-1999_Honda_Passport_--_03-30

Honda's upscale Acura division got in on the act, too.  They rebadged a dressed-up Isuzu Trooper as the Acura SLX.

1024px-Acura-SLX.jpg

In return, Isuzu got to sell their very own version of the Mk I Honda Odyssey (known as the Shuttle in the UK) as the Isuzu Oasis.

Based purely on sales numbers, Honda got the better end of the deal.  Oasis sales were nearly invisible!

1024px-Isuzu_Oasis_--_03-28-2012.JPG

As long as we're on the topic of US-specific Honda SUVs, here are a few you more you never get to see in Britain....

After Honda's dalliance with Isuzu, Honda decided they needed to cook up their own home-grown family trucklets.  The 1997-on CR-V proved to be a smash hit, but Honda knew they also needed larger entrants to woo buyers in the land of "Bigger-is-Better."  Specifically, they needed a three-row, seven-seater.

And here it is.  The Honda Pilot, which has been with us since 2003 and is now in it's third generation.

Mark I

1280px-2003-2005_Honda_Pilot_--_10-19-20

Mark II

1024px-2011_Honda_Pilot_--_LX_NHTSA.jpg

Mark III

1024px-2019_Honda_Pilot_EX-L_3.5L_front_

Of course, Acura wanted to play in this space, too.  The Acura MDX actually preceded the Pilot, but they both share a platform.  Available since 2001, the Acura MDX is now in it's third generation.

Mark I

1024px-Acura-MDX.jpg

Mark II

1024px-2007_Acura_MDX_--_NHTSA.jpg

Mark III

1280px-2014_Acura_MDX_Greenwich.jpg

But the story doesn't end there!  In 2019, Honda reintroduced the Passport name on a short wheelbase, five-seat version of the Pilot.

Honda Passport

1024px-2019_Honda_Passport_EX-L_3.5L,_fr

Then there's the Acura RDX.  It's been around since 2007, has spanned three generations and is based on the Honda CR-V.

Mark I

1024px-2007_Acura_RDX_--_NHTSA.jpg

Mark II

1024px-2013_Acura_RDX_--_06-24-2012_1.JP

Mark III

1024px-2019_Acura_RDX_front_in_red_4.20.

Interesting.  As the styling gets more modern (= fussy), I lose interest.  SUVs are not my 'thing' but I quite like the looks of the MK2 Pilot. Of the MK3s, the Acura MDX appeals to me more than the other MK3s as it has restrained elegance rather than the current fashion of pointy, jagged, scalloped aggressive nonsense.  Other opinions are available.

13 minutes ago, RayMK said:

Interesting.  As the styling gets more modern (= fussy), I lose interest.  SUVs are not my 'thing' but I quite like the looks of the MK2 Pilot. Of the MK3s, the Acura MDX appeals to me more than the other MK3s as it has restrained elegance rather than the current fashion of pointy, jagged, scalloped aggressive nonsense.  Other opinions are available.

For contrast, here's the facelift version of the Mk II Honda Pilot, with its revised chrome grille.

1024px-2012_Honda_Pilot_--_11-10-2011.jp

I recon everyone on here knows of these but ive never heard of them until today .
The Pontiac Catalina

They changed over the years but 1959 seems to be the bonkers " style over everything " phase 
There was even a one off " El Camino " pickup 

59pont93634-02.jpg

59pont93634-04.jpg

download.jpg

16371204-1959-pontiac-catalina-thumb.jpg

maxresdefault.jpg

Pontiac-El-Catalina-Prototype-9-1-740x494.jpg