Cars you didn't know existed until very recently.

philibusmo

Renault Alliance and Encore.

I recently saw a clip of a race for a series called the Renault Cup at the old Riverside track in California, and on investigating what models they were, found this - https://www.drivingline.com/articles/renault-cup-racing-the-imsa-racing-series-time-forgot/

Renault 9s and 11s built by AMC as a replacement for the "Le Car" - I had no idea such a concept existed.

On 8/14/2022 at 8:28 PM, Pieman said:

Renault Alliance and Encore.

I recently saw a clip of a race for a series called the Renault Cup at the old Riverside track in California, and on investigating what models they were, found this - https://www.drivingline.com/articles/renault-cup-racing-the-imsa-racing-series-time-forgot/

Renault 9s and 11s built by AMC as a replacement for the "Le Car" - I had no idea such a concept existed.

Technically, it was the Renault Encore (R11) that replaced the LeCar (R5) as the entry level Renault in the USA for the 1984 model year.  The Alliance (R9) had been introduced in 1983 and sat above the LeCar during the one year they were sold side-by-side.  For 1987, Renault dropped the Encore name and the former Encore was marketed as the Alliance Hatchback.

Check out PhilA's thread on his former 1987 Renault Alliance GTA, just recently sold to a new owner.  The GTA was a one-model-year-only performance variant of the Alliance and are now exceptionally rare, like all US market Renaults today.

6 hours ago, inconsistant said:

I came across this RS200 at a classic car pub gathering and got quite close before I realised it wasn't a RS200.

Had to investigate and turns out it's a Autozam AZ-1. 

918165057_IMG_6465copy.thumb.JPG.ab9c25c0fe319cf59679f17c2c96c4de.JPG

Made by Mazda in the early 90s, gullwing doors and a 650cc turbocharged  Suzuki Alto engine. 

They are awesome little things, there are a few test drive videos on YouTube, has our own @motorpunk done one or did I imagine it?

I’m fairly sure they were on one of the early Gran Turismo games as well

7 hours ago, garethj said:

They are awesome little things, there are a few test drive videos on YouTube, has our own @motorpunk done one or did I imagine it?

Indeed, they are in the best two GT games, GT2 and GT4

10 hours ago, garethj said:

Tom's Turbo Garage on YouTube (can't remember the proper name) has one.

15 hours ago, Aston Martin said:

I saw a Maxus Mifa 9 on trade plates. 🤷‍♂️

It was lhd and full on Chinese spec, but they're available to buy here soon.

7B3FDABE-E11C-429A-80DA-E6BE37176E24.jpeg

Oh boy, - MIFA = Minging Incredibly Frightful Arse, sorry, Maximum, Intelligent, Friendly and Artistic. I kid you not. And apparently it's 'The Future'.

https://saicmaxus.co.uk/mifa-9/

On 8/8/2022 at 6:33 PM, Lord Sterling said:

I've just driven something I've never heard of. A "Lynk & Co" 01. Sounds like a clothing firm:

20220808_183710.thumb.jpg.bfbfe4d9c6c66d69a461400f13599f6e.jpg

20220808_183656.thumb.jpg.e4bc9623a0e3b92146e90865db0166db.jpg

20220808_190148.thumb.jpg.02584876ca586a3ed9e1444e2fdec953.jpg

20220808_183731.thumb.jpg.b31143446c4bcf576e893c137e649f12.jpg

Apparently Lynk & Co are apparently owned by Geely.

Lynk & Co are a Geely developed brand, started about a decade ago.

I suspect there is some effort to maybe sound like ‘Lincoln’, although there are plenty of defunct American brands out there, if they really want to go down that road. 

Maybe not a recent one from GM, Ford or Chrysler  (e.g Mercury, Plymouth, Oldsmobile), which they are still probably quite keen on protecting, but I can’t imagine Stellantis really need to hold on to Rambler, Hudson or Nash for example. 

Packard would be a brilliant brand to resurrect if you could unearth it from whatever corporate form Studebaker last existed as.  

And talking of resurrection of old American nameplates: 

https://www.caranddriver.com/news/a39970134/volkswagen-scout-ev-revival/

VW is creating a EV 4WD brand using the Scout name, which they inherited from their purchase of a US truck maker named Navistar. Navistar was the truck business of the old International Harvester company, and the original Scout was kind of similar to the original Ford Bronco:

800px-1978_International_Harvester_Scout_II_wagon_(23176143526).jpg

On 8/18/2022 at 3:53 PM, AnthonyG said:

And talking of resurrection of old American nameplates: 

https://www.caranddriver.com/news/a39970134/volkswagen-scout-ev-revival/

VW is creating a EV 4WD brand using the Scout name, which they inherited from their purchase of a US truck maker named Navistar. Navistar was the truck business of the old International Harvester company, and the original Scout was kind of similar to the original Ford Bronco:

800px-1978_International_Harvester_Scout_II_wagon_(23176143526).jpg

Back in my high school days (mid-1980s) one of my teachers had one of these.  They all used to rust like buggery and his was no exception.  Not sure what VW are playing at with this strategy.  Nobody under the age of 50 remembers the International Scout and those of us old farts who do recall they were as rough and agricultural as the tractors made by the same company.  Plus, they all seemed to come in that sickly jaundiced yellow shown above or a particularly vile shade of putrid orange.  I doubt VW will be recreating either of those colours.