Cars you didn't know existed until very recently.

philibusmo

On 5/19/2022 at 1:26 PM, 3VOM said:

OK it's not a car but I've never seen one before.

20220517_104811.jpg

We all know a certain Miss Hubnut @dollywobbler wants a 'van. That would look very nice behind a Berlingo. Same height and not too heavy. I bet it only has a single 12n plug too.

22 hours ago, fatharris said:

Possibly the sportiest Daewoo ever.

Daewoo Speedster.

Possibly not...

image.thumb.png.623106cf5ce077060cb7597088b24c12.png

These were actually sold to the public and were made in the USA - as it's a Pontiac/Saturn underneath. Details here -

https://www.autoevolution.com/cars/daewoo-g2x-2006.html#aeng_daewoo-g2x-2006-20

https://www.carscoops.com/2007/04/seoul-show-daewoo-g2x-aka-saturn-sky-or/

And here's some more sporty Daewoo's - only concepts unfortunately -

image.thumb.png.e1f16528c5bfae4e76a0cfa623751aec.png

Daewoo Mirae, 1999.

image.thumb.png.f5296b54df5d3e2e52249c5d2a2aef37.png

Daewoo Joyster (yes Joyster, calm down at the back), 1997.

image.thumb.png.49a3da11c0536c3f869fb8f738ce8fa1.png

Daewoo Bucrane, 1995.

Plenty more Daewoo concepts here - https://oldconceptcars.com/category/1930-2004/daewoo/

No photograph but reading an early 90s classic car mag last night I saw a classified advert for a "Lotus Eclat Two Position Convertible". It was also described as the only one built but didn't say who was the only one to build it.  A quick goggle throws up nowt. Any ideas? 

21 minutes ago, JimH said:

No photograph but reading an early 90s classic car mag last night I saw a classified advert for a "Lotus Eclat Two Position Convertible". It was also described as the only one built but didn't say who was the only one to build it.  A quick goggle throws up nowt. Any ideas? 

It’s not someone getting a bit carried away describing a Riviera is it? They had a big lift out sunroof  that was half of the roof panel.

40 minutes ago, Steve79 said:

I preferred the Saturn Sky variant

image.thumb.png.a2019b89a9f0b038ece7eb905ba23d49.png

But not the Pontiac solstice with its Hannibal Lector style grills

image.png.df6ef03c9632fc0b1d29ce8d3653f1cc.png

The VX220 and its many derivatives is from the same family as the Elise and its many derivatives. 

The Pontiac Solstice and it's many derivatives was a very different (and very much more conventional) platform. 

33 minutes ago, NorfolkNWeigh said:

It’s not someone getting a bit carried away describing a Riviera is it? They had a big lift out sunroof  that was half of the roof panel.

Possibly but the advert claimed it was the only one. There were at least a few Rivieras built. 

However, this was the early 90s when everyone was piling in and buying into any old shite so it's possible the advert is complete bollocks. 

10 hours ago, sheffcortinacentre said:

So same as now.

It is interesting to idle away a few minutes with a classic car mag from the late 80s and measuringworth.com just to see how completely tonto things went back then. We aren't even close to it at the moment.

Aníbal  Podadera.

The Aníbal  Podadera is the result of the redesign of the IbizaRider, a project that Francisco Podadera carried out for Seat. This was was rejected by Volkswagen.  Podadera then  set up his own company and undertake its construction and marketing.        There were two versions, the F-90 with the 90 hp System Porsche naturally aspirated engine and the F-100 with the 105 hp electronic injection engine.

After having built 83 units, the company was dissolved in 1992 due to financial problems.          

image.jpeg.5cbcddf4ad7a3a5eb8cda47dce07a784.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.38f55ec940a6e9b02f15039134ee18c1.jpeg

12 hours ago, Steve79 said:

With the exception of the VXR8 but even thats a Holden.

My original statement stands!

Full pedant mode - the VXR8 is an HSV Clubsport/GTS (depending on year), not a Holden. However, both of those models are based on the Holden Commodore... so I guess you could say it's a tarted up Holden badged as a Vauxhall...

But back on topic, I've also realised that the only good modern Vauxhalls are actually not Vauxhalls...

The aforementioned VXR8

The Monaro (the regular versions are Holdens, I'm not 100% sure if the VXRs are  HSVs or not)

The Maloo R8 LSA - HSV, obviously

The VX220 - Lotus, as discussed

Have I missed any?

I'm not including the Lotus Carlton in this list as I'm of the opinion that older Vauxhalls are in fact not shit. However that may be because they've always been old cars to me (my cut-off for older/modern is the turn of the century) so maybe I'm just more forgiving of their faults.

1 minute ago, AnnoyingPentium said:

Which, at that time, was based on the Opel/Vauxhall Omega, no?

Nope, the VE Commodore was developed exclusively by Holden for the Australian market. The VF was basically a facelift of the VE, and then the ZB was an Insignia.

I think you are correct for previous generations of the Commodore, a quick Google search said "since 1988" for Omega/Commodore relations, so I'm going with the second and third generations (which is a whole alphabet of sub-generations). For context, the VE/VF is the forth generation.

5 minutes ago, GR8 PL8 M8 said:

Nope, the VE Commodore was developed exclusively by Holden for the Australian market. The VF was basically a facelift of the VE, and then the ZB was an Insignia.

I think you are correct for previous generations of the Commodore, a quick Google search said "since 1988" for Omega/Commodore relations, so I'm going with the second and third generations (which is a whole alphabet of sub-generations). For context, the VE/VF is the forth generation.

I'm maybe thinking of the later 'VT' and newer Commodores, perhaps lol.