Cars you didn't know existed until very recently.

philibusmo

1 hour ago, GeordieInExile said:

Why have that when you could have this?

Renault Kwid. 57bhp, 775kg, simple smoll car from India. Could be coming to Europe as a Dacia. It's £3k for a bASe one in India, even at double that it would be incredible value.

Renault-KWID-5-e1432130625951.jpg

Not if it rusts like this 9-year old Indian  Dacia Duster

https://autoshite.com/topic/34511-ebay-tat-volume-3/?do=findComment&comment=2526071

3 hours ago, GeordieInExile said:

Why have that when you could have this?

Renault Kwid. 57bhp, 775kg, simple smoll car from India. Could be coming to Europe as a Dacia. It's £3k for a bASe one in India, even at double that it would be incredible value.

Renault-KWID-5-e1432130625951.jpg

Hope so, we need something to replace the Suzuki Celerios at work.  They are doing well considering they've been hire cars for 4 years but won't last forever and we like Renault's.

possible a contender for the late registration madness thread as well, but along the same lines as those scale model but still road-registered steam traction engines I posted about

I present the Lykamobile a steam (kit) car replica thing?

image.png.5bca1dbf43186ca1dc4dc753e80da5c2.png

https://www.steamtractionworld.com/lykamobile.htm

https://www.steamtractionworld.com/product-lyka.html

its so fun to see a steam vehicle being newly produced and on a modern plate :) 

although im still disappointed no ones made a "modern" steam vehicle thats actually somewhat fast (ie can go above 4Mph) or practical , it would be really cool to see one of those 1950's Steam engine conversions @barrett talked about, reproduced or such, especially such being a Steam vehicle you would not really have to worry about any sort of modern day regulations, so you would be pretty free to have it look how you want LOL

On 09/08/2021 at 18:37, barrett said:

Seems a bit pointless that it can only do 12mph, when steam cars from 100 years ago could do ten times that speed...

Lots (well, several) cars were converted to steam power right into the 50s, but virtually none of them have survived into preservation. Those that have tend to be 'restored' back to IC power which strikes me as a bit of a shame. There was a big 30s Wolseley Viper discovered recently with a full steam set-up but the new owner is going to put it back to factory spec. Does anyone know if any steam conversions have actually survived intact?

2 minutes ago, RoverFolkUs said:

Saw a hideous looking roadster yesterday.. namely a Vauxhall VX220 Roadster..

image.png.3dea027f0d1795f5c6f3500ed5551f7c.png

Never seen one before and never knew they were a thing!

Very closely related to a Lotus Elise.  

Very good cars apparently. 

1 minute ago, GR8 PL8 M8 said:

Also sold in Europe as the Opel Speedster:

Opel_Speedster_22_v03.jpg.83ce54fea5bac8a1bdeecee2b52a7907.jpg

Also planned was a Daewoo:

123674973_3230321757080042_9018550223331787030_n.thumb.jpg.9596e21e5fd40779fb335684e52da486.jpg

And a Holden:

123346182_10159047788067244_6255182678107703662_n.thumb.jpg.30064f2700db399438b7e15a16557b2f.jpg

...but neither made it to production.

Looking at those now I think it's the Vauxhall badge 'V' decal making me think it looks horrible, those other three grilles actually make it look pretty smart 

On 5/13/2022 at 4:22 PM, SteersWithThrottle said:

The Military of Various Nations have used this kind of system for quite a long time, probably longer than most people would imagine (imagine pre-solid-state electronics era). The main issues with it are drift error, due to serious mechanical complexity and calibration precision, even on modern systems.

Here's a more technically detailed link for anyone that may be interested:  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Inertial_navigation_system

I remember visiting Japan a while back and being given a ride in a late 80s/ early 90s something or other (could have been a Toyota Crown) that was still fitted with one of these systems. If memory serves correctly, the map updates were done with a cassette tape.

On 13/05/2022 at 01:56, lesapandre said:

How did the 'sat nav' work - short-wave radio and detectors along the roadsides?

On 13/05/2022 at 06:10, SteersWithThrottle said:

That would have required the installation of said detectors... I'd guess some kind of inertial gyroscopic system, hopefully with a method to zero it!

Having had a poke about on the internet, I'm not entirely sure that it worked at all.  The NRV II was a concept car that functioned after a fashion, however some of the devices within it were just for show.  The spec is bizarre too: radar speed sensors and methanol engine but no electric windows!  

11 hours ago, Missy Charm said:

Having had a poke about on the internet, I'm not entirely sure that it worked at all.  The NRV II was a concept car that functioned after a fashion, however some of the devices within it were just for show.  The spec is bizarre too: radar speed sensors and methanol engine but no electric windows!  

That's pretty normal for concept cars I think. I remember lusting after the Peugeot Proxima when I saw it in Autocar, but realistically it was probably powered by two sweaty blokes pushing it onto its display stand.

Category:Peugeot Proxima - Wikimedia Commons

Even if it is/was capable of moving under its own power, I seriously doubt its ability to achieve the claimed performance figures, or to drive round a track at the speed its specs and form imply.