Cars you didn't know existed until very recently.

philibusmo

13 hours ago, garethj said:

One that I was going to post in the Cars & Girls & Blokes thread.  Apparently a special bodied Jaguar?

image.thumb.jpeg.03eeda85cab9ad0018b9eae3b653fbc4.jpeg

One of three (or possibly four) XK140s built in this style by Ghia. I think this is car No.2, the others all have air scoops on the bonnet

11 minutes ago, barrett said:

One of three (or possibly four) XK140s built in this style by Ghia. I think this is car No.2, the others all have air scoops on the bonnet

I guessed it was XK-based as they have a separate chassis, didn’t realise Ghia made some.  Good spot!

1 hour ago, garethj said:

I guessed it was XK-based as they have a separate chassis, didn’t realise Ghia made some.  Good spot!

Ghia also did a couple of XKs in the 'Supersonic' style

jaguar_xk120_supersonic_ghia_01.thumb.jpg.a9c3ac0ace15fc672dc33df16a1b93d2.jpg

The Swiss firm Ghia-Aigle also had a go at an XK140 by Michelotti

BhFYAwv.jpeg.3d9fa7008d52f84580c6814f2f4041f4.jpeg

And an XK150, the last car they built, which to me looks like Michelotti, but Urban says it's Pietro Frua

Jaguar-Ghia-Aigle-2-js.thumb.jpg.1bc8e8fc6e39afa6b4da019fe2471829.jpg

They also did a handful of Mk VIIs.

Always useful to have this book on hand (for showing off to men on the internet), although a lot of it should be taken with a pinch of salt

les-mtamorphoses-du-jaguar-speciales-modifiees-hybrides.jpg.6036e243a2c6a543e4e3d59df30cbaaf.jpg

1954-jaguar-ghia-aigle-1.jpg

1 hour ago, RoverFolkUs said:

Saw a 2008 Hyundai Accent today. 

I had no idea we got a new generation of them over here, never seen one online or in person until now

They must be few and far between, most internet images are from abroad

It looked like this:

image.png.11ff83f5d76b521c5138a6befe3e00ca.png

I saw one of those on Dutch plates over here a few years ago. Someone told me at the time that they were sold here very briefly but I've never seen a RHD one.

1 hour ago, RoverFolkUs said:

I had no idea we got a new generation of them over here, never seen one online or in person until now

It looked like this:

Think they were called the Accent Atlantic or something like that 

5 hours ago, RoverFolkUs said:

It looked like this:

Saw one of those here in Portugal as well. Found it odd because, well, the Getz, and later, the i20, were a thing around here

6 minutes ago, RoverFolkUs said:

I suppose that's why it didn't sell very well as the i10 and i20 quickly gained popularity around that sort of time

Even the Getz. By the time it launched, the Accent quickly became irrelevant in the market here, since the Getz had a much more European bodystyle

6 minutes ago, OM646 said:

Even the Getz. By the time it launched, the Accent quickly became irrelevant in the market here, since the Getz had a much more European bodystyle

That's a good point, there are still a fair few getz's about so they were fairly popular

Looking at that saloon above it's kind of like things such as the Fiesta saloon that were cut out for the Asian/American market

The 3 door hatchback reminds me of a proton savvy the more I look at it

. With cars like that Hyundai it makes you wonder how many started life as demonstrators or daily hire cars rather than being actually chosen by a paying customer? 

When I worked at a Peugeot dealer, the only XE or GE models I ever saw were courtesy cars for the service dept.

According to the extremely* trustworthy howmanyleft... 

There were just under 1000 of them registered in the UK

And just under 650 of them remain licensed. 

I think 65% survival after 15 years has got to be pretty good going!? Especially when you consider some will inevitably be written off etc through no fault of the car itself

10 minutes ago, Supernaut said:

What are they, then?

Fiat Campagnolo I believe, I'll have to check the catalogue... but the other?

The other is a DR Motors, probably a 5.0, which is a rebadged Chery Tiggo SUV for the Italian market - I had no idea they existed and they've been around since 2008ish!

4 hours ago, Missy Charm said:

Hyundai Getz 1.4i Cross 2007 | Datum eerste toelating: 18-05… | Flickr

On the subject of weird Hyundais, have we had the 'Getz Cross'?  It really is called that.  I've seen one in real life, possibly on foreign plates, and recall finding the name amusing.  Were they sold over here?  

A car for Joe Pesci. (Leo Getz, Lethal Weapon II)

On 4/18/2022 at 9:29 PM, Remspoor said:

Was this a full production or a one off?

fiat130.thumb.jpg.8d93d25a0d237692e253818263178527.jpg

Coachbuilt special - I understand there were a total of four 130 Familiale estates built, all by the Como-based firm of Officine Introzzo.

Fiat_130_combi.jpg.0930b0cf3072086bead36654ec17b852.jpg

Absolutely lovely cars, one of my all-time favourites.

On 4/18/2022 at 9:52 PM, NorfolkNWeigh said:

One off , the basket was for Gianni Agnelli’s skis, if my memory is correct.

Here's Agnelli's in action!

1132597470_Screenshot_20220226-2235332.thumb.png.c039b78e803af5e7834c6f05fe6a93ac.png

Glorious big barge.

16 hours ago, RichardK said:

Fiat Campagnolo I believe, I'll have to check the catalogue... but the other?

The other is a DR Motors, probably a 5.0, which is a rebadged Chery Tiggo SUV for the Italian market - I had no idea they existed and they've been around since 2008ish!

I had a pushbike with 5 speed Campagnolo gears which was considered to be quite racey back then but I always wanted a "double-clanger" 10 speed.