Cars you didn't know existed until very recently.

philibusmo

On 1/2/2022 at 4:04 PM, MrGTI6 said:

Really comfortable cars. I briefly had one a couple of years ago and it had a five-cylinder Volvo engine.

Well, every days a school day. Obviously knew about the Safrane, but didn't know about the Volvo engine. Also that they used transverse engines. Assumed they'd be end on, like their 25 predecessors. 

On 1/5/2022 at 3:51 AM, Austat said:

1967 ISO-Ford 20M TS Coupé:

fecafeeccc8c39e3486d71ff934ea7b2.thumb.png.ade0937491c216442c430f14dfb9acb9.png

1200px-FORD_OSI_20_M_TS_COUPE_h_silver_TCE.thumb.jpeg.57b66feda4264be625d92d356e51ea49.jpeg

Ah yes, my godfather in the South of France spent years trying to buy one he found sat in a dealership forecourt over there. Bright red gone matte, and what looked like home painted white stripes on the top it was a bit of a mess but the guy was asking 20k for it 🙄

9 hours ago, GeordieInExile said:

Looks like someone described a Jag XJS to an American over the phone and this was the result.

With the usual American habit of a wheelbase borrowed from something a few years older, to save money.

On 12/19/2021 at 2:25 AM, Schaefft said:

The DS9 is weirdly intriguing to me, shame they don't sell it with the most powerful engine here. I could see myself owning one for a 20th of it's original price in 3 years (they are surprisingly pricey).

That quote made me think- is that some sort of weird governmental mandate? 

Austin did the same thing too, sold the big engines to Australia and South Africa and left the 1098 versions to the UK.

Chrysler sell their cars there, but fit only a 2 litre diesel instead of the 5.7 hemi V8. 

What's that all about?

On 1/5/2022 at 12:24 PM, sierraman said:

Thought they were extinct! Just need to find a Lonsdale YD41. 

There are three left, which is pretty impressive given only 481 24s made it over. Sadly the guy who  took the photo can't remember where exactly, but there was a lot of interest around it last year. 

Here's the same car in the 80s. 

uk_aro (1).jpg

1 hour ago, PhilA said:

That quote made me think- is that some sort of weird governmental mandate? 

Austin did the same thing too, sold the big engines to Australia and South Africa and left the 1098 versions to the UK.

Chrysler sell their cars there, but fit only a 2 litre diesel instead of the 5.7 hemi V8. 

What's that all about?

Probably low predicted numbers of units sold, it's not like even the most mainstream DS9 variant sells well here. Almost every manufacturer limits their model lineups for the UK, probably has something to do with the need to certify every single drivetrain combination for the RHD UK market which often doesn't seem to be worth it.

17 minutes ago, D.E said:

https://www.byri.net/2021/11/22/peugeot-charade-monza-1990-the-little-known-french-ferrari/

Fascinating thing, surprised I hadn't found it sooner...

but then I did spend years trying to find out what the Barzoi 2 was after seeing one designated a Simca in a French ad 

French Bulldog: 1973 Fournier Marcadier Barzoi Series II | Car  competitions, Concept cars, Classic cars online

10 hours ago, MisterH said:

https://www.byri.net/2021/11/22/peugeot-charade-monza-1990-the-little-known-french-ferrari/

Fascinating thing, surprised I hadn't found it sooner...

but then I did spend years trying to find out what the Barzoi 2 was after seeing one designated a Simca in a French ad 

French Bulldog: 1973 Fournier Marcadier Barzoi Series II | Car  competitions, Concept cars, Classic cars online

Reminds me of the Aston Bulldog, but this Barzoi seems to predate the Aston?

9 hours ago, adw1977 said:

The current Mercedes A Class is available as a saloon, apparently. 

Screenshot_20220108-231653_Chrome.thumb.jpg.6b346832153267ac46cb449fdbd6a1f3.jpg

These (and the Audi A3 saloon) are fairly popular around here. Seems no one under the age of 85 wants a small saloon, unless it's built by one of the German "premium" brands.

11 hours ago, adw1977 said:

The current Mercedes A Class is available as a saloon, apparently.

On a similar note I thought I saw a latest generation Honda Civic saloon yesterday - with UK registration plates. However, Honda only seem to sell the 5 door hatchback here. :unsure:

It was like this but in grey. Notice the edge of the boot above the tail light. :o  B)

Image 5 of 25

2018 Honda Civic

Edited by ProgRocker
Added the advert details

4 hours ago, ProgRocker said:

On a similar note I thought I saw a latest generation Honda Civic saloon yesterday - with UK registration plates. However, Honda only seem to sell the 5 door hatchback here. :unsure:

It was like this but in grey. Notice the edge of the boot above the tail light. :o  B)

Image 5 of 25

2018 Honda Civic

Just checked and apparently Honda did sell the Civic saloon here from 2018 to 2020.  Even more excitingly there's a new Civic saloon coming for 2022!  Who knew?  At least one person somewhere, it seems. 

Hope it goes well that another vehicle that is not a car comes here.

In a DDR/GDR information video about Sugar Beet harvesting, I saw a self-propelled Sugar Beet harvester that I have never seen before, after much searching, I finally found out what these are.

714714774_Screenshot2022-01-0919_11_58.thumb.png.b1c78aaaa5decdee33170e1340c8034c.png905513267_Screenshot2022-01-0919_12_36.thumb.png.bba08e38081e9199d4835b0519e1b683.png

This is KS-6 a self-propelled Sugar Beet harvester (possibly it could be used on several crops such as potatoes?) Produced in Ternopol Ukraine in collaboration between DDR and the Soviet Union. And this is clear as I see parts from both Fortschritt and Rostelmash. But most of the parts came from VEB so it probably has the IFA V8 diesel engine that the Fortschritt E 516 combine also had. 

Unfortunately, I do not know how many were produced and how long the production lasted.

23 minutes ago, AndaBoss said:

The Aston Martin Virage Lagonda.

They also made an estate.

Carsthatnevermadeitetc — Aston Martin Virage Lagonda, 1993. A saloon  based...

I looked that up on Google, hoping to find pictures of the interior.  Instead it showed photos of Aston Martin's vice versa car, a coupe made from a Lagonda rather than a Lagonda made from a coupe.  

156577742_LagondaCoupe.jpg.71aa5300e167ac0dcf763467ccfdd3bf.jpg

It looks quite swish here, but less so in the images below which depict the same car given a Mad Max makeover

1222642521_LagondaCoupeMore.jpg.fb37d366bf4533c553e116d62ad77e61.jpg

There's a strong hint of eighties Oldsmobile Cutlass about it, albeit with a nose job and cruder detailing in places.  The Cutlass is a better looking car!

1 hour ago, Missy Charm said:

I looked that up on Google, hoping to find pictures of the interior.  Instead it showed photos of Aston Martin's vice versa car, a coupe made from a Lagonda rather than a Lagonda made from a coupe.  

156577742_LagondaCoupe.jpg.71aa5300e167ac0dcf763467ccfdd3bf.jpg

It looks quite swish here, but less so in the images below which depict the same car given a Mad Max makeover

1222642521_LagondaCoupeMore.jpg.fb37d366bf4533c553e116d62ad77e61.jpg

There's a strong hint of eighties Oldsmobile Cutlass about it, albeit with a nose job and cruder detailing in places.  The Cutlass is a better looking car!

Looks a bit like a Ginetta G28...

G28

12 hours ago, Snake Charmer said:

Looks like it's tiptoeing through the gravel! I always liked the way they used Fiesta doors and the hatch on some.

They didn’t use the Fiesta rear hatch as the cars had a tiny boot lid.  That series of cars used Fiesta doors and all the glass but with Cortina Mk3 or Mk4 running gear.  The G26 was quite a looker, relatively speaking 🤪

2 minutes ago, garethj said:

They didn’t use the Fiesta rear hatch as the cars had a tiny boot lid.  That series of cars used Fiesta doors and all the glass but with Cortina Mk3 or Mk4 running gear.  The G26 was quite a looker, relatively speaking 🤪

And not in a tongue in cheek way either, well proportioned, fit and finish was quite high too. Of course, I never got to experience one in its prime (mine was pourous) but it was a good little car. Do I remember correctly that a magazine (CAR, Motor, Autocar, Top Gear?) tester was fired for concluding the G26 was better than equivalent production cars? 

IMG_1652.thumb.JPG.220f3e79f34e27e9761b1ea1027deec4.JPG