Cars you didn't know existed until very recently.

philibusmo

21 hours ago, STUNO said:

? ? ? ?  Vanden Plas Princess of course !

van.thumb.jpg.b8e29ec0bccfbe66e7df3fff32f48644.jpg

vanb.thumb.jpg.e15a67b74e360c3e6d05de4cd494cb9d.jpg

vana.thumb.jpg.e55b16e207482d111a32e08afee25631.jpg

Now find another one.

Wow. Is that real? I mean it's not somebody's creation?

Wether it is one or the other it is beautifully done. Just what the 3-litre needed. I wonder if it has a better engine - the lump in the original car was pretty gutless - I had one.

33 minutes ago, 17-Coffees said:

Slight porkie here, it turns out I did know of this car, just forgot about it until seeing one this morning in the metal...

The Renault Ankara...

20211126_050410.thumb.png.4a0040fbb36ce10fc37d6e0b005b37cd.png

I'm getting vibes of Volvo S60 Cross Country from it due to ride height. (Hardly any taller than my 500 tho) 

I've a feeling this will be a rather rare sight here in the UK, simply because it's not from Ze Germans and it's in an alreday small niche market. 

I also won't lie, I actually don't hate it like I though would. 

It may not even be made in RHD.

22 hours ago, Formula Autos said:

One. Unless this is a replica of the prototype, in which case two. 

One of many BMC/BL evaluations of a variation on an existing/upcoming model. Deemed to have a limited appeal to buyers, so not worth the tooling needed to put into production. 

And Formula Autos wins the chance to buy it !

1972 Austin Other AUSTIN 3 LItre | Trade Me Motors

4 hours ago, 17-Coffees said:

Slight porkie here, it turns out I did know of this car, just forgot about it until seeing one this morning in the metal...

The Renault Ankara...

20211126_050410.thumb.png.4a0040fbb36ce10fc37d6e0b005b37cd.png

I'm getting vibes of Volvo S60 Cross Country from it due to ride height. (Hardly any taller than my 500 tho) 

I've a feeling this will be a rather rare sight here in the UK, simply because it's not from Ze Germans and it's in an alreday small niche market. 

I also won't lie, I actually don't hate it like I though would. 

Rear end reminds me of the GLC Coupe thing. I'm partial to a Renault. I'm not sure I'd go as far as an Avantime, but I've had a few Kadjars on full week's test drives (I used to do a fair bit of test driving for our company car folk). The Kadjar is much better than the Qashqai that it's based on, but has the wrong badge even though ironically it's cheaper!

See also the Captur vs the Juke.

The Arkana isn't actually available to order yet, so the one above will be one of the Renault test cars (they often send them out to people like us months ahead of launch). It's on pre-order only right now. It's also a mild hybrid if anyone was interested, which helps with road tax and so on.

When my car was in the dealers last month, there was an Arkana in the showroom, and one parked outside. 

I like them but they aren't as big as they look in pictures. Yet another 5 seater car so long as the centre rear passengers arse is only 6" wide. 

7 hours ago, lesapandre said:

Wow. Is that real? I mean it's not somebody's creation?

Wether it is one or the other it is beautifully done. Just what the 3-litre needed. I wonder if it has a better engine - the lump in the original car was pretty gutless - I had one.

My brain is telling me that at least one of the prototypes had a Rover V8 in it but I may have made that up. But it sounds quite feasible, I'm sure BL tried putting that engine in at least one of every car they made. Whilst it would give more power than the standard engine I think the original would be nicer. Straight six beats V8 in my book for a cruiser. 

It seems a bit ironic that BMC would put many different badges on almost everything in their fleet but the one car that would benefit from an upmarket image was only available as an Austin. I think the timing was all wrong unfortunately. It was released just as BMC became British Leyland and all of a sudden Jaguar, Rover and Triumph went from being rivals to stablemates and the last thing they needed was another large car. 

My friend had a manual overdrive one for several years and it was a lovely way to travel. I had one myself for a few months but never got round to getting it on the road but I do have a soft spot for them. I feel I need to pop over to AROnline and see if I can find any evidence of the V8 or was it just a dream? 

Yes the mule had the V8.

I had one of the 6's and found to engine a bit limited - but it may have been my example.

A chronically wasted opportunity. The NZ one looks a beauty.

I think the Austin badge was a prestige thing - Austin had to have a big model - of course at that point Austin was still a well regarded marque.

Recreating the V8 would be fun.  

They handled nicely and felt well-made.

At the time my friend had his I had a Wolseley 18/85 S. That's the twin carb one. So I had 97hp and he had 123 but the performance of the two seemed almost identical and of course the interior was almost identical too. The 3 Litre had a different dashboard. Both were made from slabs of wood but the Austin had a strip speedo and the Wolseley had round gauges. 

But the 3 Litre did feel more special. It rode completely differently to the smaller Crab, much smoother, had self levelling of course and the straight six just sounds lovely even if it was no faster. 

15 hours ago, lesapandre said:

It may not even be made in RHD.

11 hours ago, TheOtherStu said:

Rear end reminds me of the GLC Coupe thing. I'm partial to a Renault. I'm not sure I'd go as far as an Avantime, but I've had a few Kadjars on full week's test drives (I used to do a fair bit of test driving for our company car folk). The Kadjar is much better than the Qashqai that it's based on, but has the wrong badge even though ironically it's cheaper!

See also the Captur vs the Juke.

The Arkana isn't actually available to order yet, so the one above will be one of the Renault test cars (they often send them out to people like us months ahead of launch). It's on pre-order only right now. It's also a mild hybrid if anyone was interested, which helps with road tax and so on.

https://www.renault.co.uk/cars/arkana-ljl-ph1-reveal.html

On 11/26/2021 at 10:54 AM, TheOtherStu said:

I'll speak to the owner of it next time we are on the same shift at work,  it's on a personal reg (why I blanked it in the photo).

Curious to find out more now.

On 11/29/2021 at 11:42 PM, catsinthewelder said:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Venucia_T60_001_China_2019-03-21.jpg

This has looks that will really annoy Mercedes Benz which is odd as it's built by an offshoot of Renault/Nissan who have rather a lot to do with Mercedes these days.

Ssangyong will also be a tad annoyed as well...

image.thumb.png.c988036a1c7ee182c563810a9a36260d.png

Ssangyong Tivoli

image.png.ed5ad12f5141d87d0dfd7cc46d8618ad.png

Some Chinese shite

On 11/26/2021 at 2:31 PM, Yoss said:

My brain is telling me that at least one of the prototypes had a Rover V8 in it but I may have made that up. But it sounds quite feasible, I'm sure BL tried putting that engine in at least one of every car they made. Whilst it would give more power than the standard engine I think the original would be nicer. Straight six beats V8 in my book for a cruiser. 

It seems a bit ironic that BMC would put many different badges on almost everything in their fleet but the one car that would benefit from an upmarket image was only available as an Austin. I think the timing was all wrong unfortunately. It was released just as BMC became British Leyland and all of a sudden Jaguar, Rover and Triumph went from being rivals to stablemates and the last thing they needed was another large car. 

My friend had a manual overdrive one for several years and it was a lovely way to travel. I had one myself for a few months but never got round to getting it on the road but I do have a soft spot for them. I feel I need to pop over to AROnline and see if I can find any evidence of the V8 or was it just a dream? 

I’m currently reading Men and Motors of The Austin, by Barney Sharrat. It’s full of anecdotes and insights about Longbridge and particularly the people - thoroughly recommend it.

Any say.

” The merger with Leyland brought Harry Webster from Triumph to Longbridge as director of engineering in place of Issigonis. according to Harry; ‘ The 3-Litre was a beautiful ride, but that bloody engine, I put a Rover V8 in mine , saved 2 cwt and would have helped the drive to standardise engines across the organisation ‘

Ray Bates, Webster’s deputy, remembered ‘ I drove Harry’s car with the V8 and it was pretty quick, he used it for some time but it was rather unreliable.’ “

On 11/26/2021 at 10:54 AM, TheOtherStu said:

I saw quite a few in Croatia over the summer. They look good in orange, definitely better than the C4 I was driving. 

image;s=1080x720