Cars you didn't know existed until very recently.

philibusmo

6 hours ago, Madman Of The People said:

The old joke we used to tell about the Chevrolet Celebrity was how no celebrity would ever be caught dead driving one!

However, I do have to make one small correction.  The Celebrity wasn't a Mk 2 Cavalier.  Chevrolet had it's own Cavalier which, like the Vauxhall of the same name, was built on GM's "J" platform.  The Celebrity was built on the "A" platform which was little more than the "X" platform (Chevrolet Citation) with longer front and rear overhangs.  X and A cars even shared the same 104.9 inch wheelbase.  The smaller J-body Cavalier rode on a 101.2 inch wheelbase and was unrelated to the X and A cars.

You're right, it's so easy to get your mediocre and forgotten American cars from 40 years ago mixed up.

Which means GM had two slightly different FWD platforms introduced in the same year - madness.  Somehow, they still made money.

That makes no sense; a critical reactor gives off far more radiation than a lump of Pu238; the Kilopower was developed because they wanted far more power than RTGs could offer.

7 hours ago, SteersWithThrottle said:

The shielding issue comes about when you consider what you'd like to have versus what you can actually achieve; weight is critical for anything you want to put in space, and all the extra shielding (mostly for the electronics) makes a [sup]238[/sup]Pu power unit far heavier than a [sup]235[/sup]U one.

After that you're left with engineering your piece of kit to use the amount of power you [i]can[/i] provide...

EDIT: Lack of BBcode support is really annoying here!

16 hours ago, somewhatfoolish said:

That makes no sense; a critical reactor gives off far more radiation than a lump of Pu238; the Kilopower was developed because they wanted far more power than RTGs could offer.

I'm confused; the implication of your previous posts is that we are talking about radioactive materials as heat sources in sub-critical mass applications?

For that matter a fission reactor running at the cusp of critical mass is MASSIVE and HEAVY compared to any radioactive decay powered thermo-electric generator, as you need all the extra paraphernalia of cooling systems, control rods and the mechanism to insert/remove them etc, not to mention the fact that if you're going to the trouble of making something as powerful as a fission reactor, you're stupid to use it to power a TEG, when you could generate far more power using a traditional steam turbine of some sort (granted, you'd need to use some pretty exotic materials, but that's not unusual in nuclear generating technology anyway).

2 hours ago, GeordieInExile said:

Quite a few Beetle looking bits on that... Is it a Beetle?

No, it's a sparrow! (spatz = sparrow in German). Looking at the page below there doesn't seem to be much/any VW in it, but don't worry, like VW, there was quite a considerable amount of German 'quality engineering'. For example the original suspension was mounted directly to the fibreglass body resulting in it cracking spectacularly when driven over bumps, Hans Ledwinka (of Tatra fame) was called in to actually design a proper chassis for it.  And they burst into flames regularly.

https://www.bk-group.com/bkcarcollection/victoria_spatz.htm

I was reading up about the Hyundai Grandeur after Hyundai did that EV restomod thing, and found out that before they launched it in 1986 the car to have if you were rich and Korean was a Daewoo Royale:

egwbqnjkntshib8zmnni

Yeah, it's a Carlton.

But then the Granduer came out. And it had a SIX cylinder engine. Suddenly, the Royale didn't cut it. So, Daewoo took a Senator and turned it into the Daewoo Imperial:

ZMLM38AySQWXxGaOd3Qyhg?w=847&h=476&auto=

OjVpcdADRVeAE9OGKAZpQA?w=742&h=620&auto=

May I present the Opel Monza... 

No no not THAT Monza. 

The name was used in South Africa on the Kadett E saloon. Hatches still being called the Kadett. 

What they got was the Monza 2.0 CD. Plush interior, Cav GSi 15's, GSi style kit and C20XE with F20 gearbag. 

Could also get these with the kit and everything but with smaller engines too. 

Pi2gW7BDSqq8pci3ZA5mBw.thumb.jpeg.c6ebe4824b853d38b7fc1fcbc06e6851.jpeg

Daewoo sold a version of the Racer/Le Mans with the same bumpers and the GSi model name. 

Daewoo-LeMans-GSI.thumb.jpg.1d47c4437ca95b0f5fbd486b6f26f968.jpg

21 hours ago, artdjones said:

I'm getting a definite Mazda 323 vibe from the blue one.

15 hours ago, martc said:

And a Mk1 Astra at the back...

15 hours ago, High Jetter said:

....with a bit of Hyundai Pony thrown in

I'm getting a lot of "this is something an American designer might have turned out as a smoll* car"

heres one that really caught me by surprise

image.png.57ebdb051acf60dace7c3ce95353ddd2.png

of course I knew of the MF35 (I have driven one even :) ) but what I did not know is that Massey ferguson since 2015 had started making them again!

https://www.masseyferguson.com/en/product/tractors/mf-35.html

(I mean yeah I have seen a good number of vehicles with long production runs, but cant think of any where they stopped making them 50 years ago and then went "you know what lets start making them again" closest other vehicle I can think of like that off the top of my head is the new James Bond DB5's that Aston Martin put out a while back)

I would love to know just exactly how many parts are still shared with an original 1955-1964 model...

and also how much one of these new ones cost, and could one be road registered over here?

that would be some hilarious Late registration madness a MF35 on a 71 plate LOL

On 14/11/2021 at 10:40, JMotor said:

May I present the Opel Monza... 

No no not THAT Monza. 

The name was used in South Africa on the Kadett E saloon. Hatches still being called the Kadett. 

What they got was the Monza 2.0 CD. Plush interior, Cav GSi 15's, GSi style kit and C20XE with F20 gearbag. 

Could also get these with the kit and everything but with smaller engines too. 

Pi2gW7BDSqq8pci3ZA5mBw.thumb.jpeg.c6ebe4824b853d38b7fc1fcbc06e6851.jpeg

Daewoo sold a version of the Racer/Le Mans with the same bumpers and the GSi model name. 

Daewoo-LeMans-GSI.thumb.jpg.1d47c4437ca95b0f5fbd486b6f26f968.jpg

Wasn't that the Belmont when it was sold here?

13 hours ago, LightBulbFun said:

heres one that really caught me by surprise

image.png.57ebdb051acf60dace7c3ce95353ddd2.png

of course I knew of the MF35 (I have driven one even :) ) but what I did not know is that Massey ferguson since 2015 had started making them again!

https://www.masseyferguson.com/en/product/tractors/mf-35.html

(I mean yeah I have seen a good number of vehicles with long production runs, but cant think of any where they stopped making them 50 years ago and then went "you know what lets start making them again" closest other vehicle I can think of like that off the top of my head is the new James Bond DB5's that Aston Martin put out a while back)

I would love to know just exactly how many parts are still shared with an original 1955-1964 model...

and also how much one of these new ones cost, and could one be road registered over here?

that would be some hilarious Late registration madness a MF35 on a 71 plate LOL

"This range is only available in Angola, Kenya, Malawi, Morocco, Nigeria, South Africa and Iraq". That would be one heck of a roadtrip to bring one back here.