Cars you didn't know existed until very recently.

philibusmo

19 hours ago, Remspoor said:

The Aurus, a Bentley/Rolls copy from Russia.

At the point they talk about the infighting between designers and engineers and ending up with a ugly hippo. I thought about the Allegro.🙄.

It looks like a Chrysler 300C that has got it on with a RR Ghost. 

Still admire them for starting from scratch though. 

Also, the blunt honesty is refreshing. No flowery language used to describe the design and development. 

Thank foe sharing! 😎😎😎

Today I learned that in the eighties NASA spent a lot of time developing a Chevrolet Celebrity powered by a Stirling engine.   Despite a very detailed paper on the vehicle there isn't actually a picture of it so here's a similar one.  Yes that is essentially a mk 2 Cavalier. 

1986 Chevrolet Celebrity 2.5.jpg

They got it to be marginally quicker and fuel economy went from 27 to 41mpg.  It must have been a strange thing to drive though and require a period of warming up before it could move.

19880002196.pdf (nasa.gov)

Apparently Stirling engines are still under consideration by NASA for deep space missions using Uranium-235 as a heat source.

10 hours ago, somewhatfoolish said:

Pu238 would make more sense?

Yes, but needs much more shielding.  

The Americans have experimented with Pu238 in the past, there were various listening stations in the Arctic powered by these sources and they actually lost at least one high in the Himalayas trying to listen in on Chinese nuclear tests.  That Time The CIA Lost A Nuclear Device On An Indian Mountain | by Erik Brown | Lessons from History | Medium

Apologies for thread drift.

On 11/7/2021 at 4:28 PM, cort1977 said:

Today I learned that in the eighties NASA spent a lot of time developing a Chevrolet Celebrity powered by a Stirling engine.   Despite a very detailed paper on the vehicle there isn't actually a picture of it so here's a similar one.  Yes that is essentially a mk 2 Cavalier. 

1986 Chevrolet Celebrity 2.5.jpg

They got it to be marginally quicker and fuel economy went from 27 to 41mpg.  It must have been a strange thing to drive though and require a period of warming up before it could move.

19880002196.pdf (nasa.gov)

Apparently Stirling engines are still under consideration by NASA for deep space missions using Uranium-235 as a heat source.

The old joke we used to tell about the Chevrolet Celebrity was how no celebrity would ever be caught dead driving one!

However, I do have to make one small correction.  The Celebrity wasn't a Mk 2 Cavalier.  Chevrolet had it's own Cavalier which, like the Vauxhall of the same name, was built on GM's "J" platform.  The Celebrity was built on the "A" platform which was little more than the "X" platform (Chevrolet Citation) with longer front and rear overhangs.  X and A cars even shared the same 104.9 inch wheelbase.  The smaller J-body Cavalier rode on a 101.2 inch wheelbase and was unrelated to the X and A cars.

On 11/8/2021 at 3:14 PM, somewhatfoolish said:

It was more that U235 is a rubbish heat source unless it's in a fission reactor and gone critical.

The shielding issue comes about when you consider what you'd like to have versus what you can actually achieve; weight is critical for anything you want to put in space, and all the extra shielding (mostly for the electronics) makes a [sup]238[/sup]Pu power unit far heavier than a [sup]235[/sup]U one.

After that you're left with engineering your piece of kit to use the amount of power you [i]can[/i] provide...

EDIT: Lack of BBcode support is really annoying here!