Cars you didn't know existed until very recently.

philibusmo

On 9/13/2021 at 10:31 PM, Datsuncog said:

I've probably seen plenty before and simply never noticed, but I happened to roll up beside this slightly bland saloon outside a well-known discount retailer earlier, and just couldn't recognise what it was at first...

770913342_IMG_20210913_2005242.thumb.jpg.a82490aa88d23312114a5e7b22bd63ee.jpg

Bit of Mk1 Focus to the rear, bit of Astra G to the front...

727123910_IMG_20210913_2005362.thumb.jpg.ffcb989755d15b1d97a906e49d9c7eff.jpg

Huh. It's a Corolla E120 saloon, of all things.

2017574437_IMG_20210913_2006042.thumb.jpg.121c919299adadff5633fe2d03c9c885.jpg

Are these unusual, or am I just hideously unobservant

I don't know, but the Republic is stuffed with them. We like our saloons down here.

They were only on sale for 3 years and ASM sold a bit less than 2000 of them, alu bodywork is pricy to paint and the 6 cylinder is a bit pedestrian. It's also a bit fugly from the rear, the stylist was outvoted by the MD who wanted to be able to wear a hat in the back seat. The 4 cylinder is a bit of a goer though, being 2/3rds of the big hemi-6; they were a real sleeper and could show a Jag 2.4 a clean pair of heels.

A 234 is pretty near the top of my list of postwar British cars I actually want to own, or at least drive. It's also the only nice car A-S ever built. As above, the six was actually quite a bit less powerful and slower than the four, but I don't think you can be choosey today as there's something like a dozen left of all types. I have a Michelotti sketch of a re-styled proposal which I think did make it to the prototype stage, but the car-building arm of the company collapsed in part due to poor sales of the model and it was never built. I believe the alloy bits are in aircraft-grade Hiduminium, repairs of which would, I'd guess, make welding aluminium look like a piece of piss.

I also love the way they look, but I'm a weirdo

On 9/16/2021 at 11:13 AM, Austat said:

Anadol Böcek (1975-1977):

sqnWmGJBskvWDdXnm_UpBwwbPkTxMjrQKVIefL5FEqU.jpeg.13ca22cea5a2d28452474ed5b2729771.jpeg

EL-caF5XYAAxP70.thumb.jpeg.f6c5e85916b33a0d0ce0db9715e844b5.jpeg

Apart from the fact it looks fantastic and barmy in equal measure, I'd buy one just so I could park badly in the local Tesco car park and hear the voice on the tannoy requesting 'would the driver of the orange Anadol Bocek please move their vehicle immediately as it's blocking in the last remaining Sao Penza'... Amazing. 

On 9/16/2021 at 12:55 AM, barrett said:

A 234 is pretty near the top of my list of postwar British cars I actually want to own, or at least drive. It's also the only nice car A-S ever built. As above, the six was actually quite a bit less powerful and slower than the four, but I don't think you can be choosey today as there's something like a dozen left of all types. I have a Michelotti sketch of a re-styled proposal which I think did make it to the prototype stage, but the car-building arm of the company collapsed in part due to poor sales of the model and it was never built. I believe the alloy bits are in aircraft-grade Hiduminium, repairs of which would, I'd guess, make welding aluminium look like a piece of piss.

I also love the way they look, but I'm a weirdo

Great info, I‘d never heard of hiduminium. According to Wiki, ASM built car engines out of this stuff.

uq6vRDx.jpg

ab88Ipl.jpg

Citroen Sbarro looks like a 1989 kit-car based on the Princess.

'Transform your tired wedge into a modern car ready for the 90s, and beyond.

Send S.A.E. for more details' to P.K.C. grp Developments (est 1987).

Fibreglass cladding also now available for the Allegro Estate'.