Cars you didn't know existed until very recently.

philibusmo

I keep seeing VAG group crossovers that I didn’t know existed. Skoda and VW in particular seem to have a bewildering array of almost identical looking models. Plus there’s now the Cupra range, where there seems to be some kind of overly-styled crossover that doesn’t have a corresponding model of SEAT. The only coherent range of crossovers in the VAG group seem to be Audi’s, where at least the number following Q in the model name gives an indication of its size, relative to the others in the range. 

Yesterday I saw a two door convertible VW crossover. The badge on the back seemed to say T-oss, or something ….

17 hours ago, catsinthewelder said:

2200.jpg?width=660&quality=45&auto=forma

Is the black car a Micra with a funny grille or something else?

Apparently the pictures from Russia.

The far east of Russia is chock full of ex-Japanese chod.   Bargain-hunting Russians don't seem to care about the steering wheel being on the wrong side.

The car on the left looks to be one of those Mitsuoka monstrosities.  Estate on the right looks to be yet another Japanese spec model, with the Euro-sized Russian number plate not fitting inside the Japanese-sized number plate frame and having to overlap the inner portion of the tail lights as a result.

On 7/12/2021 at 9:30 PM, catsinthewelder said:

Is the black car a Micra with a funny grille or something else?

Apparently the pictures from Russia.

Yes it's Micra based, but before we get to the money shot -

Being RHD in Russia certainly implies it's an import, I don't think it would be a Lancia as the only RHD versions similar to that is the Chrysler Ypsilon and the lights aren't right for that -

image.png.a89c58ec3bb14c4737dffce0a045ad4e.png

Mitsuoka's Micra atrocity is more like a Jaguar than a Lancia - 

image.png.b30d04e9e95da921c94b592966197bf3.png

But I'll tell you what it is  - it's a Nissan March Bolero (March is what the Micra is known as in Japan)-

image.png.7962d721cc40e4bd6be6fbfd73d21471.png

https://www.goo-net-exchange.com/catalog/NISSAN__MARCH/10041290/

Just think yourself lucky it wasn't an earlier model, the nervous should look away now -

image.png.d56823b913f3a217260f7e8a9cf8c59f.png

On 6/28/2021 at 6:31 PM, barrett said:

I've also never heard the 'Leyland Eight GS' name before, I've only ever known it as a Rover. Seems a bit confusing bringing back the name of Leyland's most embarrassing failure for a new project!

It purports to be information from an American market press release, from ‘Leyland North America’.

I’m pretty sure the American BL importer was only ever known as ‘British Leyland North America’.

There is only a scan of the letterhead, not the complete press release.  

Whoever wrote this also makes grammatical errors and there’s a reference to Leyland’s ‘Perry Thomas’. It doesn’t read like the real thing to me. 

All the information on the car on the ‘BritishV8.org’ site appears to be from this press release.

Rover sold cars on the American market at this time,  whereas nothing badged Leyland was ever sold there. I suspect a very high level of total bullshit. 

8 hours ago, High Jetter said:

^^^ That was in the mag a while back. I thought it looks superb.

If they'd made that in house at Rover BMW would've crushed it

Still makes me laugh that even with what must be 100s of hours of design and fabrication the bonnet still looks open

• 2 weeks later...

Love those dashboards/interiors of the Oras - that’s proper glitz, particularly in the ‘Punk Cat’.

Sadly concerns about blinding reflections from sunlight killed that sort of thing off for most manufacturers about 1970.

Probably fine for the average smog/fog laden Chinese industrial city though. 

2 hours ago, Sham said:

127 Hatch was available direct from Fiat.

My mum had an R reg one, and nice it was too.

Only the later cars. They started out as saloons only but I guess realised they could sell more if they added a hatch. Not sure when it actually appeared but not for a few years

EDIT: apparently it was only a year after the launch, so that Fissore job must have been an early attempt, although the factory cars still had the big lip so perhaps just a marginally more practical option for those looking to own something exclusive

You could still buy a 127 2 door saloon into the 1980s in base spec iirc. 

A few weeks ago I discovered that not only does Hyundai make (or made) a variation on the car I now own: 'Grand i10' for some other markets such as India. There's also a 'Grand i10 Sedan' sold in South America. 

Of course a Grand i10 saloon would sell about as well as Gary Glitter LPs in the UK today.