Cars you didn't know existed until very recently.

philibusmo

Passed one of these today, looks like they've sacked the Sherpa and moved onto old Transits. The radiator grille was a sight to behold.

image.thumb.png.eda695aab1cffb56d7fe5e1322b995f1.png

The Maxus Deliver 9... https://saicmaxus.co.uk/

There's also an electric version of the 9 and a new electric van the eDeliver 3; not seen one of those, so should I include it here? Go on then..

image.thumb.png.c701db7c73b13410b6f07c433210dd28.png

Looks a bit smug with itself.

Some of the cars made in Iran by the Sapia company.

Like the Saipa Tiba.

Saipa Tiba 2 Photos and Specs. Photo: Saipa Tiba 2 spec and 22 perfect  photos of Saipa Tiba 2Or

Or the Saipa 151, which the interwebs says is a Kia Pride, which in turn was a Ford.

SAIPA 151

Then there is the Z24 Pickup.

ریمپ و تقویت موتور وانت نیسان زامیاد Z24ND

Website for the company.

http://www.saipacorp.com/en

On 4/28/2021 at 8:18 PM, Remspoor said:

I'd never seen Tazzari's offerings before, only heard of them as the company involved in developing the Microlino (EV Isetta conceived by the guy responsible for the Micro folding scooter craze).

Microlino-Artega-1024x588.jpg

Which looks ridiculous enough and has a fabric sunroof so it appeals to me.

Must say, I like Tazzari / Microlino's approach to EVs. Not very quick or huge range, but it 513kg it is at least light.

8 hours ago, STUNO said:

Vinfast.     A Vietnamese car manufacturer

You will hear more of this company

VinFast VF e34 electric car launched - carsales.com.au

That article made a fair bit about the Australian input. Then lower down there is a link to this where Australia does not have any input.

https://www.carsales.com.au/editorial/details/vinfast-closes-aussie-rd-centre-129843/

23 hours ago, bunglebus said:

I can't believe that's brand new!

The history page is pretty interesting

http://www.saipacorp.com/en/saipagroup/history

Tells us they've been knocking those pickups out since '83

I knew I remembered it from somewhere...

IMG_0230.thumb.JPG.1d52a577729aea4364937546522951d4.JPG

Based on Datsun Junior truck.

They even later rebodied it into Isuzu clone called Shooka. Didn't know about this one.

4.jpg.86a1652857ae09e438b4543c1272d09f.jpg

Romanian automotive industry in the '80s had some dreams which unfortunately were not carried over into production. Dreams that sound crazy, like "let's take an Oltcit and put it on Aro10 running gear".  This is an official development from the ARO factory, done in 1988, after the one in 1985 (Dacia break  on ARO running gear) was not approved for production because the supreme leader's wife found it strange. Behold the one and only Aro 16:

On 5/10/2021 at 2:17 AM, Austat said:

BMW E3 Estate, only one left out of 10 or 12 built. All sold through Langley Motors of Thames Ditton, Surrey which is where my Grandad bought his second-hand 2002 in the early 80's (possibly where he bought his E-reg E30 as well).

Classic_Sports_Car_BMW_E3_Estate_005.png.939e4a52506706fd3604f8cfce5ef7c4.png

Now that's a handsome thing. Modified Maxi tailgate if I'm not mistaken and it's amazing how good it looks.

On 11/05/2021 at 16:42, TataBobu said:

Romanian automotive industry in the '80s had some dreams which unfortunately were not carried over into production. Dreams that sound crazy, like "let's take an Oltcit and put it on Aro10 running gear".  This is an official development from the ARO factory, done in 1988, after the one in 1985 (Dacia break  on ARO running gear) was not approved for production because the supreme leader's wife found it strange. Behold the one and only Aro 16:

Mr Seabrook to the beige courtesy phone, Mr Seabrook to the beige courtesy phone, call on line 1! 🦄

1 hour ago, Three Speed said:

Apparently Vauxhall sold a thing called an Antara for nearly 10 years. AFAIK I saw my first one yesterday. Never heard of it. Wikipedia says it was the same as the Captiva which I have rented abroad. Picture shamelessly robbed from the Independent despite not subscribing.

CF7B8F31-B71F-48F2-BF2A-55235D3F80C5.jpeg

The only fleet car our company ever accepted back as not fit for purpose.

It was a given a hard life down droves, across fields and building sites and  loaded up with kit, but the reliability was laughable.

The engineer who's car it was kept all his stuff in plastic boxes to transfer easily in and out of hire cars. It was that bad.

I'm sure there's plenty of old cars we've not heard about until recently, well here's one I hadn't heard about until recently -

image.png.8a17756c78bd59a8c6fac16f9711faca.png

The 1910 Phänomobil combines the comfort of an open saloon with the greatest possible horror of an internal combustion engine. Phänomen started as a motorcycle builder in Zittau Germany in 1900, founded by Gustav Hiller, who had previously (1894) patented a textile machine for making pom-poms.

Holler’s Phänomobil was made from 1905 to 1927, as a relatively inexpensive saloon using an engine from his motorcycles. It’s a big four-cylinder F-head motor with twin fans blowing on the air-cooled cylinders...probably because the beast was too slow to properly cool the motor while driving.

Hiller took his inspiration from the world’s first powered vehicle, Cugnot’s 1766 ‘fardier’, which was similarly ungainly but had a steam engine over the front wheel.