Cars you didn't know existed until very recently.

philibusmo

3 hours ago, barrett said:

It sold at ACA a while back for a not unreasonable £2500 I think

Any idea if it went back to Romania or not? Would be a shame to see yet another rare/sole surviving RHD eastern bloc car leave the UK.

And fwiw I found the aforementioned Belaz 256B photo I mentioned earlier, though I think this may be a crop of a larger photo.

aad1dc5s-1920.jpg

On 3/26/2021 at 4:49 PM, MKT said:

Any idea if it went back to Romania or not? Would be a shame to see yet another rare/sole surviving RHD eastern bloc car leave the UK.

Suffolk, UK collector.

Yeah it's a shame to see them leave the UK - I think the problem is that RHD cars are a bit of a holy grail for collectors over there, so they are prepared to seek them out and be top bidder. 

On 3/27/2021 at 6:41 PM, 62 Austin said:

Here's a Toyota F/S in the U.K. on CarandClassic, a 2000 "WiLL Vi". Was this a concept car  for a motor show...or did they actually sell these?

Looks like a cross between a 1973 VW "Thing" & a 2000 VW "New Beetle"

Kind of like a cross between an elephant and a rhinoceros:  'El-If-I-Know

mail?url=https%3A%2F%2Fd3k81ch9hvuctc.cloudfront.net%2Fcompany%2FX5QLxS%2Fimages%2F9e4c741d-fcfd-46b3-a075-17887ad0ffbc.png&t=1616863438&ymreqid=eee9c98b-85fd-af42-1c22-940008012600&sig=9.TeZEty8H_wREoUTzSADA--~D

A  shown by @dollywobbler/hubnut

1 hour ago, Adrian_pt said:

Suffolk, UK collector.

Yeah it's a shame to see them leave the UK - I think the problem is that RHD cars are a bit of a holy grail for collectors over there, so they are prepared to seek them out and be top bidder. 

Saw it in the metal about five years and didn't know what it was. In fairness I was much more interested in the Standard Vanguard pick up it was parked next to. 

IMAG2285.jpg

8 hours ago, Adrian_pt said:

Suffolk, UK collector.

Glad to hear it stayed in the UK and yeah it is of course completely understandable that lads from EE would pay top dollar to get rare UK market cars. I'll just have to hope there's a Denem hiding in a lockup somewhere!

I wonder why we never get the dacia commercials or the Lodgy? 

To much competition for the existing Renault models maybe? 

They does not seem to be much choice in the UK small vans market any more. 

In the 80s there were van versions of most hatchbacks. I can't think of one now. 

4 hours ago, Leyland Worldmaster said:

When I first went to Poland, I remember feeling surprised that a Renault Clio with a boot was in production. I can't remember what it was called now. I blame the sensible* amount Bimber I consumed... 😁

I've seen one of those in Newcastle!

... It was on Romanian plates I think.

On 3/27/2021 at 5:41 PM, 62 Austin said:

Here's a Toyota F/S in the U.K. on CarandClassic, a 2000 "WiLL Vi". Was this a concept car  for a motor show...or did they actually sell these?

Looks like a cross between a 1973 VW "Thing" & a 2000 VW "New Beetle"

Kind of like a cross between an elephant and a rhinoceros:  'El-If-I-Know

mail?url=https%3A%2F%2Fd3k81ch9hvuctc.cloudfront.net%2Fcompany%2FX5QLxS%2Fimages%2F9e4c741d-fcfd-46b3-a075-17887ad0ffbc.png&t=1616863438&ymreqid=eee9c98b-85fd-af42-1c22-940008012600&sig=9.TeZEty8H_wREoUTzSADA--~D

Yes, they did sell these. Basically a Yaris, but drawn by a child. Some eejit thought it would be fun to bring these over to Britain as private imports - at least two were running around this part of NW London until recently.

Fuckin' goppin' to look at. I can see why it's called the "Will", because you'd probably be losing it if you had to drive one of these.

image.png.0f95570f2ac3d54ac5574af902f46644.pngimage.png.9c5c31a9396f1173087976bb009d398d.png

The Brutsch Mopetta built between 1952-58. Underneath the two-piece fibreglass clamshell bodywork is a very crude trike chassis with a 49cc ILO two-stroke motor with 3-speed gearbox that could hurtle along at nearly 30mph. It was deemed unsafe by a German court in 1956. Only 14 were built by Brutsch, but the design was available for licence so there may be other variations out there.

Phun phact - ILO is Esperanto for 'tool'. As in 'useful and indispensable' and not 'pipe smoking hipster'.

2 hours ago, martc said:

image.png.0f95570f2ac3d54ac5574af902f46644.pngimage.png.9c5c31a9396f1173087976bb009d398d.png

The Brutsch Mopetta built between 1952-58. Underneath the two-piece fibreglass clamshell bodywork is a very crude trike chassis with a 49cc ILO two-stroke motor with 3-speed gearbox that could hurtle along at nearly 30mph. It was deemed unsafe by a German court in 1956. Only 14 were built by Brutsch, but the design was available for licence so there may be other variations out there.

Phun phact - ILO is Esperanto for 'tool'. As in 'useful and indispensable' and not 'pipe smoking hipster'.

Here's another pair of pictures of it.

IMG_20200406_0007.jpg

2 hours ago, barrett said:

It's supposed to look like a Pegaso Z120, hence the 'Pegasin' diminutive

pegaso-z-102.jpg

Virtually indistinguishable, I'm sure you'll agree

In a similar vein it is difficult to understand how Allard avoided legal action from Jaguar with this blantant copy of the XK120.

Allard-Clipper.jpg

As an aside it is interesting to note that if the Pontipines had existed then Sydney might have had a hit on his hands.