Cars you didn't know existed until very recently.

philibusmo

1 hour ago, Pieman said:

Is there a current pic of that?  I have a strange fascination with anything quirky or out-of-place like that, things like signs for long-defunct shops that are still in place years later for example.

I'll take a pic or two the next time I'm doing a Sainsbury's shop there

9 hours ago, egg said:

I did not know that Honda sell a Hydrogen Fuel cell in just in California (naturally!) called the Clarity. There's also a PHEV version.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Honda_Clarity

You don't have to go to that there Kalifornia to buy a hydrogen fuel cell car you can buy one from your nearest Hyundai dealer tomorrow - the Hyundai NEXO (their caps) a snip at £69,440.

https://www.hyundai.co.uk/new-cars/nexo

All-New Hyundai NEXO – The Future Utility Vehicle made by ...

image.thumb.png.148b2e4b4f0744ec0bfa713280f18d64.png

Not much hope for most of us when we need to top it up. I'm lucky, the nearest to me is at Rotherham only 70 miles away (note the light blue one doesn't exist (yet)). Looks like I'm going slightly further, to Sheffield, to get it serviced. Of course, those in the SE are in a better position plus ça change, plus c'est la même chose.

Secma QT 500 anyone? Appears to be a mini beach buggy, but it's a quad with a body. Lengthy description in ebay ad. https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2003-53-Secma-QT-500-2k-miles-loads-of-work-done-electrical-fault-in-Herts/174417819882?hash=item289c1cb8ea:g:cUsAAOSwFBlfTo~K

s-l1600.jpg

This would be prime chod if anyone could find one at chod prices. Here's one for over ten thousand Euros!

https://www.carandclassic.co.uk/car/C1262018

citroen_xsara_hatchback_windows_ce.jpg

The first car with an inbuilt PC which you could talk to!

Citroën is opening a new avenue in automotive design at the Geneva 2000 Motor Show with the Xsara Windows CE, the first volume produced communicating car. A mid-range vehicle aimed at a broad public, the Xsara Windows CE is the result of a three-year partnership with Microsoft. It boasts an exceptional range of features and equipment, including several world firsts.

• The first "Windows" car 

• The first communicating car equipped as standard with a dual-band GSM communication system and a colour navigation unit. 

• The first car to be equipped with a voice recognition system controlling operation of the information system.  

The Xsara Windows CE will be marketed in two successive series of 250 vehicles during the first half of 2000. A saloon model fitted with the 2.0 HDi engine, the Xsara Windows CE offers a generous range of equipment including four front and side airbags, ABS brakes, air conditioning with automatic temperature control, front and rear power windows, alloy wheels and alcantara upholstery. The Xsara Windows CE is available in metallic Mauritius Blue.

The functions installed on the Xsara Windows CE include a radio, CD player, address book, hands-free telephone, navigation system, SMS, e-mail, data transfer to and from a portable peripheral.

With the Xsara Windows CE, Citroën becomes the world's first carmaker to equip a mid-range vehicle with an array of features marking a fundamental revolution in the automotive world. This revolution is based on the development of NICTs (new information and communication technologies). The objective is to adapt the Microsoft concept to the car, so that everybody can have access to information, no matter where they are.

1 hour ago, Amishtat said:

Saw this earlier and thought "that's a nice clean little Hilux" only to find it isn't. VW Tara, a new one on me. Cherry Tree Garage dealer plates, so evidently a local vehicle. 

IMG_20200905_100151.jpg

Used to be one locally to me with the bed off a HiLux fitted. The swage lines don't match but it was on there

On 8/20/2020 at 12:59 PM, martc said:

From a quick glance I thought it said Fromage - wedge shaped and a bit of a whiff about it.

Which brings me to this - the Sebring-Vanguard Citicar an American electric car using 6 volt batteries with a range of 35 miles. Phun Phact - 4444 were made and they held the post war production  record for US made electric cars until beaten by the Tesla Model S. More here - https://siamagazin.com/the-sebring-vanguard-citicar-is-an-electric-cheese-wedge-from-the-70s/

wegwge-min.jpg

And this, on the outside at least, became the Elbil Norge Kewet Buddy (Kewet = the rather snappy Knud Erik Westergaard Elektrisk Transport). Knud was a Dane making pressure washers; he sold this company in the late 80's and moved into electric cars. First made in Denmark, then moved to the former DDR and then bought out  by Elbil Norge (nee  Kollega Bil A/S) who moved the production to Norway. It looks like they packed it in in 2013.

Norwegian Kewet Buddy electric vehicle's got good specs, clunky ...

There was at least one in the UK...

Kewet Buddy electric car used in train track protest (again), this ...

Atomkraft? Nein Danke.

Now that’s either one of the Proclaimers? Or a young Frankie Boyle?

1 hour ago, quicksilver said:

Spotted this abomination the other day. It's an Imperial, nailed together in a shed in Banbury on an FX4 taxi chassis complete with Nissan diesel. Sounds lovely* and I genuinely don't understand what sort of people these things are meant to appeal to.

LIG 4631 - 1997 Imperial Landaulette

didn't the company or its assets for the company that made these end up on the ebay tat thread a few weeks ago? LOL

I much rather have an actual FX4 as my hypothetical wedding car then one the above!

On ‎9‎/‎6‎/‎2020 at 4:37 PM, LightBulbFun said:

didn't the company or its assets for the company that made these end up on the ebay tat thread a few weeks ago? LOL

I much rather have an actual FX4 as my hypothetical wedding car then one the above!

SetRatioSize400300-peggy-default.jpg

https://www.shirleychauffeurs.co.uk/our-fleet/peggy/

Quote... 'Peggy is an Austin FX4 Fairway ....She was completely stripped inside and refitted with cream leather seats and new red carpet.'

For future reference. Just to be clear, Peggy is the taxi, not the blushing bride.

ГАЗ-24-56

7ijgT7UqgRnyHoSSlOZ4mdqINVYGtwTryJaD436AyQxGAmWO7IfymB5dhOghGQBE-46-mfwfAe2OnJBVL_QhG29DorDRKNLPHLtLfUMM5yzb3HrX-rEeDBI

i835203.jpg

GAZ-24-56, a RHD Volga 24 for the SEA market (around 1000 built). Details on where exactly they were sold aren't clear though Singapore and Indonesia definitely received some. The one in the first photo was bought by a member of the Soviet consulate to Indonesia brand new and he took it home with him when his time in Indonesia came to an end, AFAIK this is the only one proven to still exist (photos of it exist more recently than 2014).

Dream car material!

On 9/5/2020 at 1:45 PM, Amishtat said:

Saw this earlier and thought "that's a nice clean little Hilux" only to find it isn't. VW Tara, a new one on me. Cherry Tree Garage dealer plates, so evidently a local vehicle. 

IMG_20200905_100151.jpg

Just did a google to read about that! Neat.

After that I ended up reading about the VW Amarok to see if it was twinned with anything I never knew, but then I found out that you could get it as...

spacer.png

A single cab! 

My guess is that they have never sold them here, or if they did was quietly dropped as nobody bought them. But they do exist!