Cars you didn't know existed until very recently.

philibusmo

I knew I'd seen it somewhere, probably the Club Triumph magazine. So started googling Triumph prototypes that I could remember off the top of my head. This brought me to Canley Classics site which has some excellent archive materiel on it and voilà. 

See also the TRX... 

1f667a8bfc4ce175fb2ea7bf14f2c104.jpg.7e7129521e20e6b6b90f767c980ef628.jpg

... based on the old Bergerac type Roadster. 

And the Italia... 

cattura6.jpg.14e019b764ba5f23c6e37ac4998b99a6.jpg

...which is a TR3 underneath but you can see the TR4 coming through. 

screenshot0061.jpg.9869fcfb8d0869e0832cdcaf3f5471b3.jpg

twas smashing the crap out of the DVLA/my special tool searching through AC Acedes Model 57 chassis numbers as you do

when this popped up

screencapture-vehicleenquiry-service-gov-uk-VehicleFound-2020-06-10-00_54_35.thumb.png.e4627a2e20cd8fd1f7ce15fc63c9af51.png

Steam! on an 07 plate what the actual...

little bit of googling later shows it to be one of these

working (and road registered!) scale model of a traction engine https://flic.kr/p/29v4pU6

43648390801_e0c921b33f_o.thumb.jpg.a938de1074615e85779eb633d259bf00.jpg

its so amusing/weird to think of/see a steam propelled vehicle on modern plates LOL (kinda surprised they where given modern plates id of half expected such a thing to end up on a Q plate)

how do you even go about registering such a vehicle I wonder...

5 hours ago, LightBulbFun said:

twas smashing the crap out of the DVLA/my special tool searching through AC Acedes Model 57 chassis numbers as you do

when this popped up

screencapture-vehicleenquiry-service-gov-uk-VehicleFound-2020-06-10-00_54_35.thumb.png.e4627a2e20cd8fd1f7ce15fc63c9af51.png

working (and road registered!) scale model of a traction engine https://flic.kr/p/29v4pU6

its so amusing/weird to think of/see a steam propelled vehicle on modern plates LOL (kinda surprised they where given modern plates id of half expected such a thing to end up on a Q plate)

As you're probably aware Q is simply when the age of the vehicle can't be properly determined. I'd think type approval would be a much bigger issue, but I'm assuming that little engine is subject to the same standards as any other new vehicle?

8 hours ago, Volksy said:

What year was it? As it does look like BMW may have been influenced for the CS?

The Vittesse was 1964, the Italia apparently (according to Wikipedia) they built 330 of them between '59 and '63. They were both Michelotti designs though it seems the Italia was built by Vignale. I think even that has shades of BMW CSL in the cab area. 

11 hours ago, LightBulbFun said:

when this popped up

As a frequenter of steam rallies etc 'modern' registered miniature engines are fairly common. I don't think that registering them is too much of a pain as the Construction and Use Regs for steam road vehicles haven't altered much since about eleventy million years ago. Basically it amounts to not allowing ashes and embers to escape. And something about lights and whistles. Getting your boiler certificate is another matter though.

Here's another one taken at random from the t'interwebs. Interestingly this one is registered as a 'Burrel Min. Wagon'. Burrel were a famous builder of steam traction engines who went bust in 1928. I wouldn't have thought you could use another makers name (unless of course the builder of this is called 'Burrel').

owner miniature steam engine drives towards show Editorial Stock ...

3 minutes ago, martc said:

As a frequenter of steam rallies etc 'modern' registered miniature engines are fairly common. I don't think that registering them is too much of a pain as the Construction and Use Regs for steam road vehicles haven't altered much since about eleventy million years ago. Basically it amounts to not allowing ashes and embers to escape. And something about lights and whistles. Getting your boiler certificate is another matter though.

Here's another one taken at random from the t'interwebs. Interestingly this one is registered as a 'Burrel Min. Wagon'. Burrel were a famous builder of steam traction engines who went bust in 1928. I wouldn't have thought you could use another makers name (unless of course the builder of this is called 'Burrel').

owner miniature steam engine drives towards show Editorial Stock ...

interesting stuff :) 

Yeah I was wondering about that, they would not exactly be up to todays crash test regulations for example! (mind if you fired a traction engine at a concert/steel block at 30Mph it probably would just go straight through it!)

I knew old steam vehicles where exempt from a lot of stuff, but i was not sure what the low down was for registering something newly built!

I guess all the modern regulations that you have to get kit cars etc through just dont apply to steam propelled vehicles!

(I feel contractually obliged to tag @JimH LOL)

Boiler insurance for models isn't that big a gyp. The standards refer to pressure/volume ratios and most models fall into the "sound engineering practice" category rather than having to meet any modern design criteria. I have my own views on this as there appears to be a number of people playing fast and loose with what is or isn't a model.

Which sort ofreminds me...

1 hour ago, LightBulbFun said:

I guess all the modern regulations that you have to get kit cars etc through just dont apply to steam propelled vehicles!

You're right - the regulations apply to specific classes of vehicles, and it's the most recent regs that count. And I guess anything to do with steam won't have been updated for donkeys years.

I've had a quick snoop on the web and found this - http://shirevillageinns.co.uk/register/rmte.htm

It looks like someone built a model engine, got it's boiler certified then insured. The DVLA paid a visit and duly registered it and issued a tax disc. Quote - 'the inspection is purely to confirm the identity of the vehicle, not a safety or road-worthiness inspection'. In other words if it looked like what it should do it was registered! But this was in 2008.

I’m so old and spent all my life looking at anything printed or now online about all cars, it’s a surprise when I don’t recognise a particular photograph let alone a car I wasn’t aware of. I get really excited when it happens, and today whilst watching ‘ Hunters’ on Amazon I saw characters getting out of a black sedan with suicide rear doors , that wasn’t a Lincoln Continental, it looked from the back , like aThunderbird.

447DD804-D4C1-47AE-AE56-A11F28DC9B3E.thumb.jpeg.940b400e62a5492cebd13630ad2384d5.jpeg

0AF9B85E-C78D-440A-90F2-602B8495033E.jpeg.3feaae3d9d8a66fbd81a118b4222ddab.jpeg

3 hours ago, bunglebus said:

I guess like most Americans, it got fat over the years

Some had a radical downsize in the mid 1970s, though the results were not pretty if the Mustang II is anything to go by.

IMG_20200430_0008.thumb.jpg.52cf2286d0c722e9404de66760bca0c7.jpg

Prince drove one of those late 1960s Thunderbirds in the video for Alphabet Street.

6 hours ago, Richard_FM said:

Some had a radical downsize in the mid 1970s, though the results were not pretty if the Mustang II is anything to go by

Yeah they're a bit of an ugly duckling, the oil crisis and spiralling insurance on muscle cars ruining American car design for a long time. VW and Honda must have made a killing in the 70s

13 hours ago, NorfolkNWeigh said:

I’m so old and spent all my life looking at anything printed or now online about all cars, it’s a surprise when I don’t recognise a particular photograph let alone a car I wasn’t aware of. I get really excited when it happens, and today whilst watching ‘ Hunters’ on Amazon I saw characters getting out of a black sedan with suicide rear doors , that wasn’t a Lincoln Continental, it looked from the back , like aThunderbird.

447DD804-D4C1-47AE-AE56-A11F28DC9B3E.thumb.jpeg.940b400e62a5492cebd13630ad2384d5.jpeg

0AF9B85E-C78D-440A-90F2-602B8495033E.jpeg.3feaae3d9d8a66fbd81a118b4222ddab.jpeg

I love it! Especially in that shade of purple! Glorious.

Vauxhall corsa convertible... this one is for sale on facebook at the minute, imported from australia so is a holden barina or some shit, but apparently they only made and sold 60 corsa convertibles in the UK to start with, i mean why the fuck you'd want one is beyond me, in australia maybe...but not here surely.

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/910792672768586/

spacer.png

5 hours ago, 1duck said:

Vauxhall corsa convertible... this one is for sale on facebook at the minute, imported from australia so is a holden barina or some shit, but apparently they only made and sold 60 corsa convertibles in the UK to start with, i mean why the fuck you'd want one is beyond me, in australia maybe...but not here surely.

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/910792672768586/

Surprised to hear they only made sixty, I've seen two in the last year or so.