Cars you didn't know existed until very recently.

philibusmo

10 hours ago, JimH said:

In a post about gearboxes @Talbot said...

I never knew this car existed. I cannot imagine who drove a Horizon and thought to themselves "You know what? This would be great if only it were even more clattery"

c2diesel_01.jpg?resize=600,450

They thought it would be quieter!

11 hours ago, Dick Van Diesel said:

Whilst I tire of the facebook mindset whereby anyone with something festering in their drive is seen as a 'selfish twat' (personally, I normally have something festering in the drive, as do many of us on here, and would never sell to a random door knocker) the owner of the Horizon and the aforementioned Moggie vans clearly is a selfish twat. 

You say that but moggy vans will probably follow minis up to stupid cash, at which point he can post the vins to the new owner and sweep the rest into the bin for profits.

The guy is clearly just a very canny business man! ?

22 hours ago, JimH said:

In a post about gearboxes @Talbot said...

I never knew this car existed. I cannot imagine who drove a Horizon and thought to themselves "You know what? This would be great if only it were even more clattery"

c2diesel_01.jpg?resize=600,450

I had one of those in the 1980s, petrol of course. It still rattled like Mums sewing machine!

On 5/24/2020 at 4:06 PM, Talbot said:

Having a car that is so notorious for galloping rot with such a long-lived engine as an XUD is why I can weld.

And leaving Peugeot and Citroen owners like me confused when they open the Haynes xud manual to find lots of the main pictures are of some kind of talbot no one’s ever seen.

I've seen a handful of them over the years, but they're certainly not common:

36300654444_22619fd932_c.jpg

Peugeot 205 XAD by Spottedlaurel, on Flickr

14741377277_49aecfb85f_c.jpg

Peugeot 205 XAD by Spottedlaurel, on Flickr

Neither is the 205F van for that matter.

When I was looking for them I remembered this Polo oddity, hidden behind the Mercedes:

20078665149_fcedf8fe35_c.jpg

Mercedes SEC W126 by Spottedlaurel, on Flickr

Apparently a Transfer model made by Gruau: https://petrolblog.com/2015/07/vantastique-volkswagen-polo-transfer/

Looks like they also did a Fiesta conversion, but I don't recall ever seeing one of them:

Volkswagen Polo Transfer with Peugeot 205 and Ford Fiesta

On 5/24/2020 at 4:06 PM, Talbot said:

I had three Diesel Talbot Horizons, and several more petrol ones.  I can say with a fair degree of certainty that the XUD engine-d cars were smoother on the road than the simca engine-d ones.....Having a car that is so notorious for galloping rot with such a long-lived engine as an XUD is why I can weld.

Coincidentally I just stuck a photo of my dad's Horizon on another thread - he lived in a seaside village and that car was looking poor by the time of it's first MoT. There were a couple of Simcas in the area that were also rotten and, in the dark, they all sounded the same. 

Only thing I recall on the Horizon which I only drove a handful of times was that the brakes seemed incredibly hard to feather as they snatched - kind of all or nothing.

He traded that in against a Skoda Rapide (which wasn't).

Ah OK - reason I cam to this thread.  Vauxhall Monaro?

Reading the 'ask a Shiter' discussion on Sierras and there's a link to carcavesscotland.co.uk which (of course) I had to visit. There's a £10K Vauxhall Movano on there. Wow! There's a pricey van methinks.

Nope - looks like I'm a troglodyte, Murano - it's a thing. Even got a discussion on the forum about it. I guess I'd stopped reading car magazines by the time that one reached the UK (and I was driving a star shite car - Mitsubishi Spacewagon, 2.0l petrol - so not in the Murano league - and at £10,750 I'm still not)

20200522_160804.jpg?itok=iMMWVyth

38 minutes ago, EyesWeldedShut said:

Only thing I recall on the Horizon which I only drove a handful of times was that the brakes seemed incredibly hard to feather as they snatched - kind of all or nothing.

Horizons were actually remarkably high mechanical specification cars.  They had double-wishbone front suspension, independent trailing arm rear suspension,  torsion bar front springing and two-piston fixed front brake calipers on fairly large discs.  The brakes, as you mention, were astonishingly powerful for such a humdrum car and you had to be a bit careful with them.

As a Horizon was the first vehicle I really worked on, I was genuinely surprised to see that so many other cars have a "lesser" specification when it comes to braking and suspension.

On 5/25/2020 at 10:24 AM, brownnova said:

And now....

FE3AC147-1AF8-47C9-A2A2-380B69D0468C.jpeg7E2B3FBE-88F2-4655-887A-8F534386DC21.jpeg

On the same theme as the Polonez Cargo these 205 van type something... 

Slightly different to one another, but variations on a theme... 

Top one's by Durisotti, t'other is the 'factory' version by Gruau.  I looked out the brochure just now, so that's work fecked for a while...!

On 5/26/2020 at 12:01 AM, jon.k said:

And leaving Peugeot and Citroen owners like me confused when they open the Haynes xud manual to find lots of the main pictures are of some kind of talbot no one’s ever seen.

The bx manual tells you to remove the battery tray with 3 bolts iirc. Which would be fine and dandy if it wasn’t welded in on production cars. 

The poor Opel looks worryingly like it's being humped.

Meanwhile, lucky* UK customers could go to Blackpool and blow their hard-earned on an "FSO Freedom": a camper conversion on the base of the FSO 125 pick-up, done by Madisons. The guy who converted them says, with admirable understatement, "there weren't many made".