Cars you didn't know existed until very recently.

philibusmo

1 hour ago, Adrian_pt said:

Thought I was pretty up to speed on most stuff sold in Europe after the war - turns out every day is a school day. WOULD, incidentally.

mb1000.jpg

It's a Mercedes N1300 made by in Spain by IMOSA (Industrias del Motor SA) made between 1963 and 1986 - so why didn't we all see them when we used to go on holiday to Spain?

Phun phact, and equally obscure, it was based on the DKW-IMOSA F1000; it was also called the Auto-Union F1000. Imagine turning up at your local Aldi dealer in one of these -

Dkw Imosa F1000 L #0706

You've just been nicked by the Style Police.

dkw folleto furgonetas imosa auto unión - Comprar Catálogos ...

1963 - DKW Auto-Union "F-1000-L" Van / Pickup - Spanish IMOSA ...

There are so many oddball badge engineered Vans in Spain. 

The BMC J4 got recycled as the SAVA/Pegaso J4

The Alfa Romeo F12 became the EBRO F100

Ford Trader and D series trucks were also made and badged as EBRO

Obviously the above DKW/Mercedes combo

My favourite has always been the EBRO F275, Later sold, even over here, as the Nissan Trade. An early one with the quad lamps and hinged side door for me please!

16 minutes ago, Volksy said:

There are so many oddball badge engineered Vans in Spain. 

The BMC J4 got recycled as the SAVA/Pegaso J4

The Alfa Romeo F12 became the EBRO F100

Ford Trader and D series trucks were also made and badged as EBRO

Obviously the above DKW/Mercedes combo

My favourite has always been the EBRO F275, Later sold, even over here, as the Nissan Trade. An early one with the quad lamps and hinged side door for me please!

I got the impression that there were some high import taxes during Franco's time so manufacturers used to have to find ways round them, importing CKD kits then assembling them in Spain was common.

On 5/14/2020 at 1:28 PM, Richard_FM said:

I got the impression that there were some high import taxes during Franco's time so manufacturers used to have to find ways round them, importing CKD kits then assembling them in Spain was common.

That's true - high import tariffs and quotas were applied to cars (and other manufactured goods) by the Franco regime. This explains the origins of the large car industry in Spain today - all the major manufacturers wanted a share of the market and the only way to do this was to build a factory there.

Joint ventures with a local manufacturer were actively encouraged egs include the famous union of FIAT with SEAT, IMOSA with DKW etc as seen above and FASA  (Fabricación de Automóviles Sociedad Anónima de Valladolid) with Renault. It wasn't all CKD's though - there were some home made designs as well eg the famous FASA Renault 7 as seen in this parish.

Renault 7

India and Brazil's colourful motor vehicle histories have the same fiscal background.

Even the Americans got in on the act with the Dodge 3700GT assembled in Spain.

Many of these were used as official cars by the government.

Some were brought to the UK for use in the filming of Batman.

spacer.png

https://www.imcdb.org/vehicle_16572-Dodge-3700-GT-1972.html

Some more information on the link, especially the posts by someone involved with the filming. 

On 5/16/2020 at 4:35 PM, Richard_FM said:

Even the Americans got in on the act with the Dodge 3700GT assembled in Spain.

Many of these were used as official cars by the government.

Some were brought to the UK for use in the filming of Batman.

spacer.png

https://www.imcdb.org/vehicle_16572-Dodge-3700-GT-1972.html

Some more information on the link, especially the posts by someone involved with the filming. 

Those cars were KNK from Argentina fitted a lot were fitted with diesel engines.

Spanish WIKI

The English version lacks a lot of information.

4a21e2ba26b5d79bfcf78b62aa477af9.jpg

661352474dae9a23f5fec9d5ae9a2292.jpg

This is the Isuzu Stylus/Gemini, which seems like quite a sweet little thing. I love finding new Isuzu cars, usually from the USDM - but then always feel a bit shortchanged we only got the Trooper and Piazza.

This was then replaced by the fourth generation Isuzu Gemini:

30a9e22af57e0b90e4da17f55d968c1c.jpg

That led me to the Isuzu Oasis which I think I’ve seen 1 of in the states

ef11294e52d899062e7f29757692a19b.jpg

That would’ve done quite well here I reckon, as it would’ve been priced below the Odyssey/Shuttle.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

In a post about gearboxes @Talbot said...

If it's a BE1/5 your selection is a bit slimmer.  I think you're then looking at very early models of Peugeot 205/309, and Citroen BX/C15   You'd also be able to use one from a Diesel Talbot Horizon, but they are bonkers rare now, possibly only one or two left in the UK. 

I never knew this car existed. I cannot imagine who drove a Horizon and thought to themselves "You know what? This would be great if only it were even more clattery"

c2diesel_01.jpg?resize=600,450

1 hour ago, JimH said:

In a post about gearboxes @Talbot said...

I never knew this car existed. I cannot imagine who drove a Horizon and thought to themselves "You know what? This would be great if only it were even more clattery"

c2diesel_01.jpg?resize=600,450

In fairness it was the XUD engine which was the smoothest diesel around in the early 1980s.

One turned up as a barnfind a few years ago & is hopefully in good hands.

Theres a maroon Horizon Diesel down the road from me, belongs to a mental old boy who seems to buy up nice cars then lets them rot at the rodaside for a few months before moving them into his field, never to be seen again. It was mint when he got it about 18 months ago. 2 very nice Morris Minor vans have had 'the treatment' in thw last year or so too. Recently he's picked up a nice B-reg Volvo 240 saloon which is just festering away steadily in the usual spot.

4 hours ago, Richard_FM said:

In fairness it was the XUD engine which was the smoothest diesel around in the early 1980s.

One turned up as a barnfind a few years ago & is hopefully in good hands.

I'm sure I read somewhere that the Horizon was the first car to be fitted with the XUD.

7 hours ago, JimH said:

I cannot imagine who drove a Horizon and thought to themselves "You know what? This would be great if only it were even more clattery"

I had three Diesel Talbot Horizons, and several more petrol ones.  I can say with a fair degree of certainty that the XUD engine-d cars were smoother on the road than the simca engine-d ones.  Idle was a bit more clattery, as they hadn't sorted out how to mount an XUD properly yet, but on the move it was a fabulous car.  I put about 50k miles on one in around 18 months driving up and back to Dundee in the mid-90's.

For a while I harboured silly ideas like putting an 1.9TD engine in one.  Would have made it even better as a car, but TD engines were still £fucking loads when I had those ideas.

1 hour ago, quicksilver said:

I'm sure I read somewhere that the Horizon was the first car to be fitted with the XUD.

It was.  Only by a few months, but it was definitely first.  It also had a completely unique engine mount on the engine side which was swiftly changed for when the engine went into later cars.  The Visa was the first car to have it in the Citroen range, with PSA using the XUD7 in the Visa and the XUD9 in the Horizon.

Having a car that is so notorious for galloping rot with such a long-lived engine as an XUD is why I can weld.

3 hours ago, Mr_Bo11ox said:

Theres a maroon Horizon Diesel down the road from me, belongs to a mental old boy who seems to buy up nice cars then lets them rot at the rodaside for a few months before moving them into his field, never to be seen again.

Shit.  Don't tell me things like that.  There are no more than about three Horizon Diesels left in the UK and I stupidly have a hankering for another.  I am absolutely and completely unable to buy anything more, but it would be nice to know that something as astonishingly rare as a the first car ever to receive the XUD was actually being looked after rather than just deteriorating at the roadside.

If it's the one I think it is, it sold on eBay about 18-24 months ago.  Maroon and on a B-plate, for about £800, which is cheap for a Horizon now.  Despite having all the desirability of damp crisps, they are quite an endangered species and deserve to be preserved.

Does said old-boy entertain door-knockers for his cars I wonder?

Yes thats the one. I dont know of he entertains door knockwrs but he must get a few as he always has shite lying about on the roadside.

Heres the Horizon on streetview!!!! He's got it parked on his field now though.

https://www.google.com/maps/@53.1150204,-1.3714416,3a,75y,279.98h,70.32t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1s-gAEYBEwtLJEKsHTvUWzig!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

7 minutes ago, Mr_Bo11ox said:

Yes thats the one. I dont know of he entertains door knockwrs but he must get a few as he always has shite lying about on the roadside.

Heres the Horizon on streetview!!!! He's got it parked on his field now though.

https://www.google.com/maps/@53.1150204,-1.3714416,3a,75y,279.98h,70.32t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1s-gAEYBEwtLJEKsHTvUWzig!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

That Horizon so deserves a chance at life. Someone buy it from him, please. 

20200524_171357.jpg

Got to be honest i wouldnt hold your breath. The guy acquired 2 very smart green morris minor vans last year, both looked shiny like theyd not long been restored. Theyre not cheap items right? Both are now on the same spot of damp ground where theyve sat for the last 6 months easily. He's got a Minor pick up festering under a tarp wedged between 2 trees that looked half decent when I moved here, it must be seriously manky now. I'm gonna hazard a guess that he's not a logical kind of dude.

Whilst I tire of the facebook mindset whereby anyone with something festering in their drive is seen as a 'selfish twat' (personally, I normally have something festering in the drive, as do many of us on here, and would never sell to a random door knocker) the owner of the Horizon and the aforementioned Moggie vans clearly is a selfish twat.