Cars you didn't know existed until very recently.

philibusmo

I know there used to be quite convoluted tiers of German driving licences (who would have guessed, eh?) and you could drive a vehicle of 250cc or less on an 'easy' licence which was really designed for people riding small motorbikes and mopeds rather than cars - I know this was the case in the '50s but possibly it carried on into the '70s. Otherwise, WHAT IS POINT?

On 1/28/2020 at 12:04 AM, Austat said:

Ford Cortina Saxon Concept:

2102216740_FordCortinaSaxon.thumb.JPG.d115676abc0eada5af810d4bb4268a2c.JPG

So pretty. 

I look at the likes of lardy Nissan Pukes with fussy, pointless lines emanating from everywhere, whilst still having limited interior space. 

Then I look at this and think about how every line looks like it actually has a purpose. 

Isn't this particular car a meticulously built re-creation?

On 1/27/2020 at 8:03 PM, bunglebus said:

OK I  knew they existed, but I'd never seen a Kia Stinger before

20200127_143551 by RS, on Flickr

20200127_143539 by RS, on Flickr

We had a demonstrator a year or so back.  We were very, very impressed.

IMG_20180226_225221.thumb.jpg.cd48983bdd8dba8f7a1e558ca42fe3f3.jpg

IMG_20180220_092340.thumb.jpg.2dff03ebf89fefb9441073c2686cbf6c.jpg

Only things we would have liked was a bit more of a voice from the exhaust and some colour in the cabin.  We reckoned that just some coloured stitching on the seats etc to match the body colour would have been perfect.

Would have to be that yellow for me...it just suits the character of the car so well.

The only word which sprang to mind when I saw it was "badass" as I recall.

I love the detail in the styling, things like the way the shut line for the tailgate perfectly meets up with the rear doors.

About a week later we had a top of the line Optima estate...we all agreed that in every department aside from engine refinement at full bore it knocked the stuffing out of the Audi A6 that was on the drive.  It looked better, rode massively better, was roomier and felt better screwed together.  We were really struggling to come up with any real shortcomings.

If I do ever find myself picking up a new car the only dealers I'll be looking at will be Kia and Volvo I think...

That Landrover thing. Oh dear oh dear oh dear. First proper outing where I drive my 4x4 Landcruiser (muddy narrow rutted lanes, hedges and bushes sticking out, huge potholes and muddy fields) all that stupid plastic would be caked in mud or in tatters. What are they doing! Surely there is a market for a proper 4x4...or is that not profitable or satisfy legislation?

It looks like an 80's kit car 4x4. Rickman Ranger and the like. Will people pay good money to look like ****ers. Probably yes.

Rickman quite elegant in comparison.

20200202_130108.jpg

An awful lot of time was spent by British manufacturers in developing new vehicles that got close to production but did not make it. Thats an awful lot of wasted talent and ideas alas. 

A lot of it was dropped as companies amalgamated. Some was just not commercial and some was dead end tech or misjudged in the marketplace or where they did not see the future clearly enough.

Rover toiled with their gas turbine  for example when really at the time a great diesel was what they want for the LR etc. They also had two cars production ready that were dropped on the BLMC merger.

Ferguson had their 4-wheel drive and anti-lock braking tech that I think Triumph, Jensen and then Ford UK tried.

So many great things not pursued for whatever reason.

10 minutes ago, JeeExEll said:

Triumph Pony.  A what???

Si0lGUK.jpg

4X4 based on the Triumph 1300 fwd but with drive to a rear axle (obv). Could have made an interesting road saloon, a missed opportunity for the Toledo or Dolomite in the 70s?  A Dolomite Sprint quattro.  Hmm.

This could have been an MoD contract prototype? As part of a potential supplier proposal that came to nothing?

3 minutes ago, lesapandre said:

An awful lot of time was spent by British manufacturers in developing new vehicles that got close to production but did not make it. Thats an awful lot of wasted talent and ideas alas. 

A lot of it was dropped as companies amalgamated. Some was just not commercial and some was dead end tech or misjudged in the marketplace or where they did not see the future clearly enough.

Rover toiled with their gas turbine  for example when really at the time a great diesel was what they want for the LR etc.

Parts suppliers like Lucas Industries, had some great ideas, but would Only Pursue development from concept into production if they had a customer actually prepared to sign on the dotted line. 

I'm thinking that I knew about the early development of electric power assist steering at Lucas Car Braking Systems site at Fen End, where they were pretty much told by UK customers that small cars did not need power steering and they nearly dumped the idea. 

That was the last involvement I had, until I realised years later that TRW had ended up with bits of Lucas Automotive and they had inherited the Electric power steering and were the world leaders. 

As the man said : the problem with Lucas is that they try to save money, rather thsn working out how to make money. 

That Pony isn't really a Triumph, it was built in Israel using the Triumph engine and box by a company who's name I forget. 

The last time I looked Canley Classics had a couple of the gearboxes in stock. The Triumph 1300 has similar rear suspension to the 2000, minus driveshafts, so I think a 2000 rear subframe could be made to fit. But it is even lower geared than a normal 1300 which is already quite low. No chance of putting a Sprint engine on it but the 1300 can be tuned quite nicely.