Cars you didn't know existed until very recently.

philibusmo

12 hours ago, JeeExEll said:

Also available, powered by a straight 6 version of the B-series.

v8qGT7f.jpg

I had the Wolseley version of this for a few years . Wolseley 24/80. traded at larke Hoskins in Canberra for a  new Mini K Deluxe 1100 (radio and heater optional extras in the Deluxe ), but it went well.

We all know the Lada Niva, but i only just found out it was sold as a pick up as well...

lada_2329_1-1.jpg

I want one, oh so very much!  100% a lotto win to buy a brand new one, although it seem's they stopped making this spec. (but the 3 and 5 door's are still being made!)

Also it's pointing out that its no longer called the Niva, just called the 'Lada 4x4'.

6 hours ago, 17-Coffees said:

Also it's pointing out that its no longer called the Niva, just called the 'Lada 4x4'.

I believe Chevrolet now own the 'Niva' name, so Lada has to use '4x4' instead.

These Lada 4x4s can be bought in the UK as an import. Failing that, they are still being sold in Germany.  :)

This was in the car park at the BL rally. I thought the GT badge looked like a Halfords stick-on special but it turns out a Sierra GT is a thing. Seemingly not very highly thought of in OSF circles as it's just a tarted up LX introduced towards the end of the Sierra's life.

J347VRX.thumb.jpg.f7f660c45f79dfacc4cdef04d58aa2ca.jpg

3 hours ago, quicksilver said:

This was in the car park at the BL rally. I thought the GT badge looked like a Halfords stick-on special but it turns out a Sierra GT is a thing. Seemingly not very highly thought of in OSF circles as it's just a tarted up LX introduced towards the end of the Sierra's life.

J347VRX.thumb.jpg.f7f660c45f79dfacc4cdef04d58aa2ca.jpg

Black painted B and C posts standard as well? Not seen that before.

And the Portway. Ashton and Portway are both names of places in Bristol where these were made. Most of this stuff was probably built to order and exported to the Middle East - a tricky operation  cashflow-wise if you are buying a Range Rover and then cutting it up. Company did not do this for long - interesting vehicles if you can find one. 

20190930_105748.jpg

Did you know that the (originally Danish) electric City EL is still made in Germany for about £10k? I didn't.

01.jpg

Price list

http://www.cityel.de/images/pdf/CityEL-Neufahrzeug-Preisliste-Bestellformular.pdf

Website

http://www.cityel.de/

Want.

http://www.leicht-kfz-schippers.de/city-el.htm

Range between 40-100 miles, 50kph typical speed.

On ‎9‎/‎26‎/‎2019 at 8:06 PM, quicksilver said:

At last weekend's FOD gathering, I was sitting with @catsinthewelder in his Safrane and we were reading the handbook. Near the back are a couple of pages describing the 4x4 version, which I never knew existed and must be pretty much extinct now. A big old Renault with a complex 4WD system, WCPGW?

On ‎9‎/‎27‎/‎2019 at 4:12 PM, wuvvum said:

I think the Safrane Biturbo was 4WD.

Funny, an Instagram account that I follow - the wonderful and very shiteworthy @moteurflottant - did a profile on the Safrane Biturbo only a few days ago.

Not at all common - 640 of them built by Irmscher, all with the 3.0 V6 and full-time AWD.

And a total sales flop.

Renault_Safrane_Biturbo_EliasHoldenried(moteurflottant)Instagramphotosandvideos.png.7db8c5edc65d9a88affd1fa159c06042.png

It doesn’t look spectacular, but the 1993 Safrane 3.0 V6i Biturbo is one of the rarest and fastest Renaults ever built. And it was a real High Tech-sedan in the early 90s. The engineers equipped it with a permanent AWD-System and electronically controlled, adjustable shock absorbers. But the most interesting part is the smooth and powerful engine. It’s a real product of the German-French friendship. Renault commissioned the German BMW-Tuner Hartge to redesign the V6 of the Alpine A610. Two turbochargers increased the power to 268 hp and 365 newton meters. Although the Safrane weighs 1.720 kg, it runs 250 km/h and reaches 100 km/h after only 7,2 seconds. It really could compete with the German competitors. Even Michael Schumacher owned one! But it turned out to be a complete failure. That was mostly due to the overcharged prices (almost 100.000 DM in Germany) and the lack of a certain "Premium"-Image. Only 640 cars were assembled by Irmscher near Stuttgart, but Renault wasn’t able to sell them all. Quite a sad ending for a ambitious project.

I had the chance to drive one a few months ago and was surprised by the smooth power delivery and the good ride quality. But the innovative suspension also allows high curve speeds with close to zero Body Roll. It’s not a uncompromising sportscar nonetheless. The engine is well insulated and sounds quite tame, while you can steer with only two fingers.
You can find more about Renaults Turbo-Models in the current issue of @autobildklassik

Can you just imagine trying to service the bastard, let alone fix it when something pops?

Of course I want one.

On 9/29/2019 at 7:58 AM, ProgRocker said:

I believe Chevrolet now own the 'Niva' name, so Lada has to use '4x4' instead.

These Lada 4x4s can be bought in the UK as an import. Failing that, they are still being sold in Germany.  :)

Do you know how much they are?

On 30 September 2019 at 10:59 AM, lesapandre said:

And the Portway. Ashton and Portway are both names of places in Bristol where these were made. Most of this stuff was probably built to order and exported to the Middle East - a tricky operation  cashflow-wise if you are buying a Range Rover and then cutting it up. Company did not do this for long - interesting vehicles if you can find one. 

20190930_105748.jpg

There's one of these on flea bay at the moment. Classic cars hidden in amongst the Rovers 

13 hours ago, jon.k said:

Do you know how much they are?

8500 euro +VAT for the basic version, 9500 eurio + VAT for the posh version called "Urban" (think alloys and electric/heated mirrors, nothing more) for the 3 door variant, 9500+VAT/ 10500+VAT for the 5 door variant. Prices in Romania.