Cars you didn't know existed until very recently.

philibusmo

1 hour ago, lesapandre said:

Is that dual exhaust exiting through the bumper like some 50's chrome laden monster?

Nope. That's just for show. Apparently the customers think this looks nice, and everyone on the road will envy the big muscled twin exhausted 1 liter TSI monster of an automobile, or the 1.6 diesel one. Also adorned with fake twin exhausts.

7 hours ago, adw1977 said:

The basic XM in the UK was imaginatively called “2.0 Carb" (did it actually say that in the rear badge?) but did have a spoiler and alloy wheels. 

_20190723_165351.thumb.JPG.2edf92576554e9354ef6436f4d2f698e.JPG

No, just said XM with no engine size, I drove a lot of carb fed XM's when new and they were no slower than 2.0 Granadas, Carltons etc.

They didn't have alloys either , only top of the range Sei (?) got those. All other XMs got the same flat trims.

9 hours ago, NorfolkNWeigh said:

No, just said XM with no engine size, I drove a lot of carb fed XM's when new and they were no slower than 2.0 Granadas, Carltons etc.

They didn't have alloys either , only top of the range Sei (?) got those. All other XMs got the same flat trims.

You're quite right about the alloys, I misread the specifications. 

Link to 1990 brochure

On 7/23/2019 at 3:19 PM, lesapandre said:

Why do they all look the same? Legislation, use of common platforms and parts, fear of being different...or is this look what the market demands? Is that dual exhaust exiting through the bumper like some 50's chrome laden monster? Probably totally pointless and difficult to repair in a rear end bump or needing a new exhaust...but thats probably not the point.

Biggest shame is VAG had a great individual SUV in the Skoda Yeti but instead of persevering with it,  they just launched a pair of (very good but) fairly non descript VW clones instead.

No manufacturer dares to be bold anymore. What was the last new model that made you look twice?

Renault Twizzy maybe?

I don't know about other markets but it's a bit of a joke car in the UK, although Seat appear to have cloned it.

https://images.app.goo.gl/6s5vw7Npt4dZsMbF6

1 hour ago, Timewaster said:

Biggest shame is VAG had a great individual SUV in the Skoda Yeti but instead of persevering with it,  they just launched a pair of (very good but) fairly non descript VW clones instead.

No manufacturer dares to be bold anymore. What was the last new model that made you look twice?

Renault Twizzy maybe?

I don't know about other markets but it's a bit of a joke car in the UK, although Seat appear to have cloned it.

https://images.app.goo.gl/6s5vw7Npt4dZsMbF6

And Roomster. Not a looker but certainly different.  In fact most Skodas of that era. Now they (and Seat) all seem to have the same sharp edge look as the VW's. Don't know if they've been lent on by VW to do this or if they just decided it was the way to go on their own. 

2 hours ago, Tayne said:

I’d still not describe it as an SUV, but then my view is that once you step away from the utility of the Defender/gwagon/TLC type stuff there isn’t a lot of point as it will never be as sporty as a car.

It's always nice to have somebody with similar opinions when the world is clambering over itself to buy these stupid things.

We've just got an electric Hyundai Kona at work as part of a big switch to electric vehicles. I don't think I'd ever seen one before so I was going to nominate it for this thread. No idea what it's like and I haven't actually seen it move yet, it just seems to sit on the charging point all the time.

16 hours ago, Conan said:

I didn't realise they did the Tercel/Corolla II/Corsa with pop ups front and it looks very much like an AW11.

pic_toyota_corolla_ii_2617.jpg.2f0418b9259329deddb8ffd04ae8ccdf.jpg

Very much would

Yeah that does look odd with a corolla badge on the front.  No idea what markets that would have been sold in. Makes me wonder if toyota themselves have the records of what got sold where and when - I doubt anyone is still around with all that information in their head.  

2 hours ago, Timewaster said:

Aren't almost all cars in Japan binned by 10 years old due to the rigorous mot style test?

I thought that was why we ended up with so many grey imports.

This is true - it's an excellent example of international co-operation which allows The All Nippon Autoshite  Godo Kaisha to send us obscure cars which can then be featured in this very thread.

Great lads the Japanese.