Cars you didn't know existed until very recently.

philibusmo

TsMU0sp.jpg

A bit more of the yellow Enfield Safari. Didn't notice before but it's LHD. Edit to earlier post to add that it's actually powered by the 4.2 inline-6 AMC Jeep 258, not the period 360 5.9V8 as first thought (DVLA check shows 4228cc).

Interesting little hinged opening window vents, with dash designed to suit ('Shit, where have my wallet and house keys gone, I'm sure I put them down here somewhere'). 

Og1WcsO.jpg

It looks like we've been here before briefly in 2012 . . . .

https://autoshite.com/topic/11260-whatisthishite-i-know/

One from FOTU that caused a lot of head scratching. It looks like an Alfetta but bigger and badged 'Alfa Romeo 2300 Rio'.

423BYL.thumb.jpg.ce335d8528932a8178bab34fde214bd0.jpg

It was made in Brazil and sounds like complete and utter shite that nobody wanted. The Brazilians were moving to ethanol fuel so Alfa ended up with a load of unsaleable petrol-engined cars that they dumped on their European importers. They sold badly there too and quality was so bad that the importers eventually had to buy almost all of them back. The ones in the Netherlands were then stored outside for 3 years and sold on with no warranty, pretty much destroying what was left of Alfa's reputation there. It must be a miracle that this one has survived.

1 hour ago, twosmoke300 said:

Saw a modern ish 3 dr Swb land cruiser today . Never knew such a thing existed. Looked comically under wheeled too 

Wasn't this one , was it?Its Autocar's long termer, and I'm sure it's the only one in existence.

I've seen it twice , once near Heathrow and once on the M40 near Gaydon, both times driven by Matt Prior of Autocar.

image.jpeg.c224a103d131ffce220a2a3d4fc04d89.jpeg

Wasn't this one , was it?Its Autocar's long termer, and I'm sure it's the only one in existence.
I've seen it twice , once near Heathrow and once on the M40 near Gaydon, both times driven by Matt Prior of Autocar.
image.jpeg.c224a103d131ffce220a2a3d4fc04d89.jpeg

The SWB Land Cruisers are even unpopular here in Australia! Home of the Land Cruiser! I’ve seen a few about, but certainly many, many more LWB models.

On ‎7‎/‎21‎/‎2019 at 4:28 PM, quicksilver said:

One from FOTU that caused a lot of head scratching. It looks like an Alfetta but bigger and badged 'Alfa Romeo 2300 Rio'.

It was made in Brazil and sounds like complete and utter shite that nobody wanted. The Brazilians were moving to ethanol fuel so Alfa ended up with a load of unsaleable petrol-engined cars that they dumped on their European importers. They sold badly there too and quality was so bad that the importers eventually had to buy almost all of them back. The ones in the Netherlands were then stored outside for 3 years and sold on with no warranty, pretty much destroying what was left of Alfa's reputation there. It must be a miracle that this one has survived.

Funny, a red one of them with Dutch plates appeared on Instagram only the other day (@plankhond) - a totally new one on me too.

Another commenter mentioned that, in its country of origin, these cars were very, very, VERY expensive to buy new - about the same price as a house. Plus, of course, the ethanol thing making them unsaleable by the early 80s.

And they were based on the 1950s Alfa 1900, so in terms of driving dynamics they were no great shakes anyway.

Those badges on the back look like Halfords stick-on jobbers. Those on the red example were just as wonky, showing the fastidious* attention to detail which the importer lavished upon these fine Italo-Brazilian throughbreds.

Verdict: 1000% shite. Irredeemably godawful.

Hence Mr. Bickle's probably lining one up... ?

Funnily enough, @plankhond posted some pics of a car I wasn't aware of the other day, too: the XM Séduction. This is the lowest spec XM, with a 2-litre carb-fed engine (although you could order a 2.1 n/a diesel, too) which, unlike other XMs, wasn't fitted with the afterthought rear spoiler, had no centre console, cloth seats etc and was generall the closest you could get to the XM prototype. I had never noticed it before, but not having a spoiler totally transforms the look of the car and makes it much more retrofuturistic. They also had 'the trims' which were carried over from the prototype. Actually, properly lovely. This one is for sale and looks worth every penny.

1280x960.jpg

http://www.theparking.eu/used-cars-detail/citroen-xm/2.0l-seduction/LD25K808.html

14 minutes ago, bunglebus said:

The Seat Tarraco. Totally different* to all the other MPVs

seat-tarraco-002.jpg

Why do they all look the same? Legislation, use of common platforms and parts, fear of being different...or is this look what the market demands? Is that dual exhaust exiting through the bumper like some 50's chrome laden monster? Probably totally pointless and difficult to repair in a rear end bump or needing a new exhaust...but thats probably not the point.

4 hours ago, barrett said:

XM Séduction. This is the lowest spec XM, with a 2-litre carb-fed engine .... had no centre console, cloth seats etc and was generally the closest you could get to the XM prototype... but not having a spoiler totally transforms the look of the car and makes it much more retrofuturistic. They also had 'the trims' which were carried over from the prototype.

Rightoh, that'll be me spending this evening looking for early French XM brochures on eBay

Don't bother with brochures, why not pick up the real thing?

This one is €2k but it's a one-owner car with full Citroen service history
https://www.leboncoin.fr/voitures/1618815645.htm/

This one is a weird colour and is a bit rougher, but its five hundred quid

https://www.leboncoin.fr/voitures/1636439349.htm/

Both, importantly, have a full compliment of The Trims from what one can see, and are 2.1 diesels