Cars you didn't know existed until very recently.

philibusmo

zephyr-sml.jpg

Ford - Zephyr AWD

Production Years: 1952-1972
Number Produced: 22

During the mid 1960s, Ferguson LTD was conducting research, design, testing and evaluation of All Wheel Drive systems for passenger cars. This, however, was not the only item of interest to Ferguson LTD. Ferguson was also interested in anti-lock braking systems, which arose from innovation in the aeronautical field. This prototype car, a 1968 Ford Zephyr, was one of the Ferguson vehicles used as proof of concept for AWD and ABS in automotive applications. There were a total of 22 AWD Zephyrs commissioned by the British Police. Today, only two of these cars exist; one resides in a museum in New Zealand, and the other one sits in Tampa Bay Auto Museum

.zephyr-engine.jpg

^ Zephyrs engine and all* terrain tyre  (I didn't know they had the spare wheel stowed under the bonnet either).

zephyr-dash.jpg

^ This police Zephyrs interior 

Ferguson LTD was also conducting these same types of tests with the Ford Mustang.

Ferguson's converted a 69/70 Mustang (still exists), 70/71 hemi cuda, at least 3 MK1 3.0 capris ( ford still own one), 1 MK3 3.0 Capri, triumph stag,a 3.0 scimitar, 2 pos 3 vauxhall royale/ Opel senator s( ibelieve one was an estate too) at least one survives, unfortunately the MK3 Cortina est (3.0 V6) didn't get past design stage .

The zephyrs were 3.0 V6 normally reserved for zodiacs,rumour has it that ford had two zodiac estates converted one used as a tow/chase car by boreham competition dept.

The introduction of the range rover killed of the lucrative police market as it fullfilled all there needs at a cheaper price.

^ Wow, that takes me back.

Reminds me of this.

FRfkqJF.jpg

j0RwfH0.jpg

The Corgi rally Hillman Hunter. It had little flip down jack things so you could take the wheels off (and lose them). There was a little sheet of decals to stick on it too.

The toolbox on the roof had an opening lid but unfortunately the tools inside were fixed in position. They were a bit tiny anyway. Swivelling 'searchlights'.

All these cars in the pics are missing the spare wheel from the roof.

Mint complete ones are worth quite a lot these days. My one got smashed flat with a hammer around 1979, just to see what it would look like.

17 hours ago, egg said:

What a find! If a vehicles name reflects it's looks Smack cannot be a higher 'compliment'. Or it's a description of the substance abuse the designer partook in before putting pen to paper. It's worth seeing it from different angles...

smack 1.JPG

smack 2.JPG

smack 3.JPG

The bloke on the right can't believe what's turned up in his carport.

6RFFO96.jpg

Another Golf prototype, the EA 266 from around 1969.

For some reason they've got the bloke out of Vanishing Point to come and have a look at it. I don't think he's too keen on it.

Mid mounted 1600cc in-line water cooled four mounted on it's side under the rear seat.

VW made 50 and they were great fun to drive.