Cars you didn't know existed until very recently.

philibusmo

I've seen a couple of newish looking Maxxus recently. I think they were badged SIC or something. They weren't LDV or MG.

They are made by SAIC - Shanghai Automotive Industry Corporation.

SAIC bought the mortal remains of LDV and re-introduced the Maxus which is marketed throughout the world as a SAIC (or MG) product except in the UK (and Ireland??) where it is an 'LDV Maxus'. I think there's an LDV badge on the rear of the UK market Maxus; they have 'SAIC' etched on the glass and the main badging is a big M for Maxus.

MG and Rover (called Roewe in China) were originally bought by Nanjing but SAIC acquired them when they bought out Nanjing hence the spread of the MG name throughout SAIC's products, but not yet on UK LDV's...

https://myldv.co.uk/

MG V80...

Untitled-2-6.jpg

Its what they are selling the 'new' LDV Maxus in some parts of Asia. And by 'new' I mean a updated edition of the old LDV Maxus sold here back in the mid-late 00's. Which they are selling over here again...as the LDV Maxus.

I would LOVE to take one of these to an MG owners club meeting.It would provoke as much wailing and gnashing of teeth as my MG Metro did at Brooklands MG day circa 2002 when it was pure Shite.Ironically collectable now of course.I gave mine away in 2005 dammit.

SAIC are turning into Chinese Leyland. Their entire UK operation is made up of bankrupted former bits of the BL empire, but sticking MG badges on an LDV van is a new low that even MGR in their darkest days didn't stoop to.

Here's another weird MG I discovered while rummaging around AROnline. What MGR never had and arguably really needed was a SUV but they did try. As the licensing agreement with BMW prevented using the Rover name on a SUV to protect Land Rover, they glued some MG badges on a Ssangyong Rexton in a few days to make something new to show to their dealers. Three prototype MG Rextons were made and one was apparently used by the security team at Longbridge for a while but I don't know what became of them in the end.

Don't remember seeing a CR-Z before

USC50HOC111A121001.jpg

New Bentley Continental coupe;

1bentleycontinentalgt.jpg

Ssangyong Tourismo;

turismo-front_trans_NvBQzQNjv4BqqVzuuqpF

Renault Initialle - which appears to be the new Espace;

Renault_Espace_Initiale_Paris_ENERGY_dCi

Saw this one in Germany;

46785994594_f7eb0d946e_k.jpg20190330_130706 by RS, on Flickr

Hyundai H350 looks suspiciously like a Sprinter;

47457028562_73d39d774d_k.jpg20190330_112107 by RS, on Flickr

47509757051_343a900772_k.jpg20190330_112055 by RS, on Flickr

Merc E300 2 door;

2019-E-Class-Coupe-53-Series-FEATURE_o.j

MG V80...

Untitled-2-6.jpg

Its what they are selling the 'new' LDV Maxus in some parts of Asia. And by 'new' I mean a updated edition of the old LDV Maxus sold here back in the mid-late 00's. Which they are selling over here again...as the LDV Maxus. 

Wow, and to think the MG badge used to be on this

Mg_ZA_magnette_n.jpg

Wow, and to think the MG badge used to be on this.....

Mg_ZA_magnette_n.jpg

....a Wolseley 4/44.

post-3405-0-49776800-1554874637_thumb.jpg

The MG badge has appeared on all manner of chod, a Maxus van is a new idea though, but as has been pointed out, by my learn'd colleague 'Timewaster', there is a direct link between the Maxus and the MGB.

....a Wolseley 4/44.

attachicon.gifwolsley4-40 001_2992.jpg

The MG badge has appeared on all manner of chod, a Maxus van is a new idea though, but as has been pointed out, by my learn'd colleague 'Timewaster', there is a direct link between the Maxus and the MGB.

Hardly any body panels are the same and the running gear is very different. The 4/44 had the same (with minor differences) mechanicals to the MG Y

yb0321.jpg

and this car was related to a Morris 8 Series E. All cars, except the E series were designed by Gerald Palmer.

Hardly any body panels are the same and the running gear is very different. The 4/44 had the same (with minor differences) mechanicals to the MG Y

and this car was related to a Morris 8 Series E. All cars, except the E series were designed by Gerald Palmer.

I believe it was the same body tub as a Morris 12

Morris 12

post-2915-0-23680600-1554964661_thumb.jpg

MG Y type

post-2915-0-81488400-1554964693_thumb.jpeg

A young lad I worked with had one last year, replaced his Megane cabriolet.

Oddly enough his was the first that I had seen, then for the following few weeks I followed one part of the way to work each morning, thought is was him at first although he lived 20miles in the opp0site direction.

USC50HOC111A121001.jpg