Cars you didn't know existed until very recently.

philibusmo

^ What is it? I like it. What a great little thing for zipping about town in.

You can crash into shopping trolleys and not damage it. With a front guard like that I'd actually go looking for stray trolleys in the supermarket car park.

Because of this posted by Jim Bell...

post-5335-0-31125700-1551532816_thumb.jpg

I've been trying to figure it out.  Got pretty close with the Toyota Corolla, but it's not quite right for that, so for me this remains a mystery.  However, I found some other interesting things along the way.  Like this Toyota Corona 1900 estate.  At a very quick glance as I was scrolling through the thumbnails it looked like a US spec SD1 so I very nearly overlooked it entirely as being irrelevant to my search.
post-5335-0-78063800-1551532993_thumb.jpg

Then I found some Toyota Tercels.  I was aware of the later 80s model, I hadn't realised they went back earlier.  At first I thought these might have been a rebadged Subaru, the proportions are similar with the long nose and short rear, and with Cold War Motors having featured a 1600 very recently probably meant I was more aware of the shape than usual.  There doesn't seem to be a link between the two, so far as I can tell, it's just a styling coincidence dictated by the mechanicals.
f9894300ce0a360de685699cc6f28d5d.jpg

The hatchback is even better for the rear view.  It's not really like anything else.
96671735_o.jpg

Because of this posted by Jim Bell...

attachicon.gifFB_IMG_1551513302934.jpg

I've been trying to figure it out.  Got pretty close with the Toyota Corolla, but it's not quite right for that, so for me this remains a mystery.

It's a '98 JDM Carina, the grille kinda is a giveaway if you've seen them before, it says Carina.

BF85180_1.jpg

Like this Toyota Corona 1900 estate..............

Then I found some Toyota Tercels................

Tercels were funny things, FWD but with an inline engine. They got as far as mainland Europe but never here.

Those old Coronas did reach the UK, but probably never very common. Can't recall if we got the estate but I have seen saloons and a coupe:

3834031997_279330aec2_o.jpg

1971 Toyota Corona 1900 MarkII by Spottedlaurel, on Flickr

5234479339_000b78d0a6_o.jpg

1971-ish Toyota Corona Mark II 1900 Coupe c. 1995/96 by Spottedlaurel, on Flickr

Some content from me. I have posted it elsewhere on AS before http://autoshite.com/topic/27266-purchased-spots-1970s-on-toyotas-added-4617/page-2 but that Furia reminded me of this oddity:

34590103801_efe4edd4de_b.jpg

1972 Skilton Perkins SP2 Highwayman GT, FPM3L by Spottedlaurel, on Flickr

34721059865_ff61725a90_b.jpg

1972 Skilton Perkins SP2 Highwayman GT, FPM3L (1973) by Spottedlaurel, on Flickr

DVLA says taxed/SORNed until 2003. Second photo taken at Prescott, where the SP1 was apparently used as course car. I found an article in Motor on the SP1 which contains info about the SP2:

34254209253_6e163521f8_b.jpg

Skilton Perkins SP1 and SP2, Motor 15/4/72 by Spottedlaurel, on Flickr

34677608920_09ec17d9d6_b.jpg

Skilton Perkins SP1 and SP2, Motor 15/4/72 by Spottedlaurel, on Flickr

SP1 was registered APN2K and is still around, the owner got in touch with me only recently about it. I aimagine Junkman would have something to say about its use of Rover P6 braking components....

Was in Barcelona recently and saw one of these, admittedly a rather battered example. 

tali-saloon_trans_NvBQzQNjv4Bq-gj64NxzcV

Renault Talisman.  According to Wikipedia it is not sold in RHD markets "due to the decline of the traditional saloon market" - what they mean of course is people won't buy it because it's not an Audi.

Was in Barcelona recently and saw one of these, admittedly a rather battered example.

Renault Talisman. According to Wikipedia it is not sold in RHD markets "due to the decline of the traditional saloon market" - what they mean of course is people won't buy it because it's not an Audi.

Does that mean Ireland didn't get them?

Nissan Pao?

Story supposedly is that someone at Nissan wanted to recreate the Fiat 127. Probably the same fella who came up with the S-Cargo as a retro-nod to the 2CV....

Yes. I saw one of these in town today!

Renault Talisman.  According to Wikipedia it is not sold in RHD markets "due to the decline of the traditional saloon market" - what they mean of course is people won't buy it because it's not an Audi.

It is rather reminiscent of the VW Arteon, both nice-looking cars IMHO.

post-22262-0-95900500-1552160538_thumb.jpg

Had forgotten about these.

pp6hM8J.jpg

TPuiCqs.jpg

SYx90bk.jpg

I only remember the 120Y B210 vans being available here, and a few local businesses bought them. Late 70s Sunnys too. Maybe Datsun did Bluebird 160 or 180 vans too but they must have been rare in the UK.

Most of this era of Datsuns scrapped by the mid / late 80s.

MUuDYYr.jpg

And a slightly later Skyline with a little window to look out of. Or in to.