Cars you didn't know existed until very recently.

philibusmo

To be fair there isn't many Lancias about in Italy that aren't Ypsilons.

Plenty of Y left too. The recent 'other' stuff looks to have sold absolutely horrendously, there is very few of the rebadged Chrysler's about, and the Delta seemingly was also a flop.

They also sold the Chrysler 200 convertible as a Flavia.

I think Fiat just have no idea how to market Lancia anymore.

How *do* you market Lancia these days?  If they were still a mechanical tour de force with innovations out the wazoo you might be able to carve out a super-specific niche but that's not what Lancia have been for a very, very long time.  Rather like SAAB, they're a victim of putting the product before the profit.  That's why you see hideous things like the Bentaygo and Range Rover Kahn nonsense, those companies understand the compromises that have to be made in order to survive.  I hope (likely in vain) that the Ypsilon and distribution shrinking is a necessary evil, Lancia has a history of distributing worldwide for a bit and then disappearing back to Italy for a few years so let's hope that's what's happening and in another five to ten years they bounce back with something amazing.

I actually want to like the Ypsilon, and from the back I can at least appreciate what's going on.  Trouble is it all falls apart when I get a glimpse at the front.

Amusingly, despite Lancia selling only one model in one country, they still managed to outsell Alfa Romeo and PSA's hateful DS brand across Europe last year.

I'm not sure what's worse though, Fiat's attempt to maintain Lancia's proud name on that lamentable Ypsilon, or Citroen's above cynical marketing ploy of resurrecting the iconic DS name, from a a car famed for its ride/suspension above all else, and using it as a brand of cars whose most notable feature is a lack of a proper suspension.

All Vauxhalls may be shit but this ain't no Vauxhall. It might look like a Viva but it's actually a Chevrolet Firenza Can Am, made in South Africa with a 5-litre small-block Camaro V8 and nicknamed the 'Little Chev'. They built 100 to homologate it for racing and about 30 are left with 2 in the UK. I had no idea such a thing existed and you've got to love the Saffers for shoving huge V8s in everything.

post-5267-0-23944000-1504728976_thumb.jpg

Think this sort of counts, I was in that France last week and saw one of these that I'd completely forgotten about. Couldn't get a photos this is a google search one. I remember seeing loads in Holland, France and Switzerland a long time ago. I don't think we got them here but they're a sort of 3 door version with normal headlights of the 323f we got as a 5 door with pop up headlights.

I think.

post-16950-0-02692600-1504741147_thumb.jpeg

There was some directive to limit a manufacturers average emissions.

Ferrari got away with it by claimimg to be part of Fiat, others did similar things.

The Cygnet was Aston Martins attempt to bring down the average CO...

...when it stopped being part of Ford, I suppose.

post-17915-0-99837600-1504791940_thumb.jpg

post-17915-0-81451000-1504791484_thumb.jpg

post-17915-0-19341300-1504791199_thumb.jpg

Sorry if it's already been picked up on, but a new one on me is Alfa Romeo commercials. Alfasud van was apparently a dealer-only factory variant not offered for general sale; though the AR6 was a rebadged Fiat Ducato sold in Italy only (while earlier ones were based on the Iveco Daily). Seems a touch incongruous that luxo-sport brand Alfa flogged vans at one point, but there you go.

Some dispute over whether they still knock out a few vans from time to time, or whether some Fiat Scudo owners are just handy with a glue gun.

post-17915-0-81544300-1504791887_thumb.jpg

Think this sort of counts, I was in that France last week and saw one of these that I'd completely forgotten about. Couldn't get a photos this is a google search one. I remember seeing loads in Holland, France and Switzerland a long time ago. I don't think we got them here but they're a sort of 3 door version with normal headlights of the 323f we got as a 5 door with pop up headlights.

I think.

attachicon.gifmazda.jpeg

We definitely got those coupes in the UK, used to see a few knocking around but can't image they sold well

We definitely got those coupes in the UK, used to see a few knocking around but can't image they sold well

Yeah, they were sold in the UK as the 323C. I'd imagine that with the MX3 still in the line-up at the time, there wasn't much point in another small 3-door Mazda hanging around the showrooms.