Monique The Monaco - 1988 Renault 25 Monaco

prab

11 minutes ago, doubleyeller said:

For those that know Huddersfield, there was an automatic one of these always parked on John William street between 'Spoons and Coffee Evolution about 15 years ago. I remember thinking it was literally the most beautiful car I had ever seen, gaping rust hole big enough to put your fist through in the NSF wing did nothing to detract from that. To this day I have not seen another Monaco in the wild. One day, probably around 2007, a For Sale sign appeared in it, they only wanted £650 for it, but the insurance quote was terrifying. According to HowManyLeft, the auto Monaco went extinct around 2012 so it didn't last long in the big wide world! Would like to think it is mothballed in a garage somewhere....

Doubt it. Automatic Renault 25's had an issue where the ATF cooler would piss oil and by the time you saw the oil the gearbox was toast. The fact it lasted till 15 years ago is a miracle if nothing else. 

Just now, sgtberbatov said:

Doubt it. Automatic Renault 25's had an issue where the ATF cooler would piss oil and by the time you saw the oil the gearbox was toast. The fact it lasted till 15 years ago is a miracle if nothing else. 

Yes but there were a lot of those gearboxes around, it was hardly the end of the world to pick one up for like £100 (1990s prices) and get it fitted. Most the 25s still in existence are autos, but most are on their third fourth or fifth gearbox by now. 

According to that accurate* source of such data HML, only 49 are still on the road, but a further 300ish are on SORN - surely there aren't that many 25s in hibernation??