1982 miniMetro L

RobT

I haven't driven one since around 1990 but I bet a good one is still fun to punt along. The Mark 1 Fiesta was crap in comparison and only the Nova was as good.

It does punt along well, and I do have a tendency to drive it quite hard around town in order to keep up with the flow of traffic, which is all good fun. Momentum comes into play too of course!

When I was in the 6th form my mate Chris had a Y-reg 1.0 Metro, I was never a massive fan of it and when he got an A-reg fiesta 1.1 instead it seemed vastly superior simply for not having such a ridiculous driving position and comical boingy suspension. However 20 years later, the metro seems far more appealing. Always thought the Metro was a far neater design style-wise too. Shame the metric tyres are NLA as the wheels that took those just looked ‘right’ IMO.

Wasn't there an issue with the low-down fuel filler on the early cars?

Just found a reference on AROnline - there was indeed a recall for the early (leaky) fuel caps.

Just found this resuscitated thread. I bought a new MG Metro - A reg - in 1984 and there certainly was a problem but it may be a different variant to the one mentioned. Some tw*t in the factory decided to save money by deleting the baffles in the fuel tank. This caused the fuel to slosh around when running along and sometimes it could end up dripping out the breather pipe on to the filler cap and out on to the road. The problem was never properly fixed but it was dealt with by fitting a new huge long breather pipe that went right up into the B piller.  The volume of spilt fuel was never huge in my case so I can't say it would cause a car to spin but it was dangerous having fuel drip out.

The Metro was a super little car to drive except on motorways where it was undergeared.

When I was in the 6th form my mate Chris had a Y-reg 1.0 Metro, I was never a massive fan of it and when he got an A-reg fiesta 1.1 instead it seemed vastly superior simply for not having such a ridiculous driving position and comical boingy suspension. However 20 years later, the metro seems far more appealing. Always thought the Metro was a far neater design style-wise too. Shame the metric tyres are NLA as the wheels that took those just looked ‘right’ IMO.

I know it's all subjective, but I actually find the driving position pretty comfortable, as with the bus-like steering wheel rake it makes me sit upright so doesn't knacker my back. The lack of PAS can be a pain 'cos I've got pipe cleaners for arms, god knows how old ladies managed.

Interesting what you say Bo11 about the boingyness. I thought mine was due to Hydragas cans that were past it, but maybe not. 14 year old NOS tyres probably aren't helping the ride...

Definitely wouldn't kick an early applejack out of bed for farting.  Do they even exist anymore?  I imagine they're proper money now and all that and everything.

Love yours, Rob.  There's something special about cars with a different interior, and the earlier editions of any car always seem purer.  

Hope to see this around in the summer at a show or two?

I am thinking about it John.  Would take me forever but the economy is good on a run so it'd be cheap.

Definitely wouldn't kick an early applejack out of bed for farting.  Do they even exist anymore?  I imagine they're proper money now and all that and everything.

Love yours, Rob.  There's something special about cars with a different interior, and the earlier editions of any car always seem purer.  

Hope to see this around in the summer at a show or two?

I'd love an early W-plate in Applejack.  Mrs T had one as her first car, long since gone sadly.

Every year I mean to do more shows in it, but as usual it's being arsed!

• 1 month later...
I spent all day mucking about with the Metro on BH Monday.  Brake fettling was in order as I can’t remember the last time I checked them over. The rears did need a bit of adjusting, and there seemed to be too much meat left on the shoes considering they’ve been on there for 6,000 miles. But the front pads were the same (plenty of life left) so I just cleaned everything up and attempted a bleeding session.  I think my 20 year old Vizibleed is blocked or something as the tube just kept popping off the nipple, so I’ve bought a new one and will do that another day.

Here it is airborne.  I love this car for several reasons, one of which is it's so basic and easy to work on.

post-5013-0-37936700-1492596552_thumb.jpg

Truth be told the brakes have always seemed a bit shit, but I put much of that down to this.  Being an early car it left the factory sans servo.  I think they were added as standard some time in 1982, but could be wrong.

post-5013-0-42261600-1492596592_thumb.jpg

I then did a job I’ve been putting off for ages and got the Dinitrol out.  Three aerosol cans later I’d done all four arches and various places underneath.  It’s never had any welding done and there’s not too much rot to worry about, but this is a rare case of preventative maintenance from me (last time I did it was in 2008).  I also lobbed loads of it in the engine bay which doesn’t look pretty now, as the wax I’ve got is dark brown as opposed to the clear stuff, but rather it survives than win any mintola awards.  That black plate on the bulkhead in the pic above got a covering, as it was looking a bit rusty.  I’ve got some left so that can go on the Cavalleria Rusticana when I’ve got time/can be arsed.

Next thing to sort is a new set of tyres.  Must be 15-20 years old at a guess, and are cracked to buggery.  The Michelins on the front are much worse than these Dunlops and are pretty much rock hard.

post-5013-0-07293300-1492596567_thumb.jpg

Camacs have started making the correct size again (135/65/12s) but I’ve been told they’re rubbish, so despite wanting the proper OE-spec skinny 135s I’ll get some 145/70s instead.  Â£120 for a set of four Marshals from tyreleader looks a good option, or Falkens for a bit more.

So the next thrilling* update will be new tyres.  The radius arms also need greasing, so that's another mucky job to put off for a few more weeks!

Guest Hooli

From memory of having a 1.0L as my first car only the 1.3s got a servo.

I'd try new front pads if they are years old. I've known them go hard, stop wearing & stop working when old on a few cars n one bike.

Camacs are indeed terrible, you'd be better off fitting plastic tyres.  I've found Falkens a little quieter than Marshals but otherwise identical.  Mind you, this is all on larger cars than the Metro so you might find your results are different.  I reckon Camacs need to be under a really heavy car to even begin to inspire any confidence.

I (briefly) was a driving instructor with BSM in 1989. We had Metros. One scary moment with a lunatic pupil when the brakes failed on a winding downhill country road scarred me for life. We survived obviously. Turned out to be a faulty master cylinder on a four day old car....

As you were..

Lovely looking motor.

Brake servo was standard on 1.3 models from the beginning, added to 1.0 models for the 1984 model year.

April 1983:

post-20295-0-15378900-1492608411_thumb.jpg

https://www.flickr.com/photos/61090099@N04/7281953284/in/album-72157629907118230/

Jan 1984:

post-20295-0-02889000-1492608455_thumb.jpg

https://www.flickr.com/photos/61090099@N04/13589890225/in/album-72157643328249664/

Mine has a servo, but the brakes still dont inspire a lot of confidence. I might spaff on a new set of pads for it.

Its interesting to read about peoples opinions on the bouncyness. Its been at least two decades since I sat in any other Metro, so I have nothing to compare mine too. My thoughts keep swinging from "its knackered" to "they all rode like this" every time I drive it.

A fellow Metro perv had a go in mine at Pride of Longbridge, and he reckons it's fine which is good to know. Like you Dave I had nothing to compare it to and was convincing myself the cans were knackered. It is bouncy but rides as it should apparently.

Car swappage will occur later this evening when I collect the Safrane from my other lockup, which rides like a flippin' Rolls when the two are driven back to back!

Guest Hooli

Lovely looking motor.

Brake servo was standard on 1.3 models from the beginning, added to 1.0 models for the 1984 model year.

April 1983:

attachicon.gifApr83.jpg

https://www.flickr.com/photos/61090099@N04/7281953284/in/album-72157629907118230/

Jan 1984:

attachicon.gifJan84.jpg

https://www.flickr.com/photos/61090099@N04/13589890225/in/album-72157643328249664/

88% all-round vision!, that figure must be about 20% these days.

The non-servo brakes are good enough if the pad material's good, if the material's not so good then they'll experience sudden overheat brake-fade. If the pedal's rock hard, one or more of the caliper pistons could be sticking. the way I used to check for this was to pop a pad out, jam a big spanner against one of the pistons and press the brake pedal to see if the other one moves, squeeze that piston back and repeat for the other ones.

• 2 years later...

Over two years since I've updated this thread.  Blimey.

Not loads to say really, as whenever I use the Metro (which isn't often enough) it just works.  I did tweak the timing a few months back, and gave the carb a rudimentary clean, and it seems to be running better than ever.  I'll never tire of hearing the A-series whine, and I just love driving it.  Small and basic, the essence of motoring!

Did a big food shop this evening and it consumed the lot.20190808_192350.thumb.jpg.9bece8d82d7df684a6307604d79508bb.jpg

I also had the rear suspension pumped up the other day, but may have asked for too much.  The legend that is Les at BL Transverse, South Norwood, is my trusted mechanic.  When I turned up with a tape measure to set the ride height to the recommended specs he quipped "oh you're one of those fussy sods".  He suggests doing it a little bit less than the specs, so they don't top out and thump over bumps.  I should have listened to him...no harm done though, I'll just let some fluid out.

20190808_193149.thumb.jpg.392526a4f000707e97e1a79a66ef90a3.jpg

I never did change the elderly front brake pads, so I'll try and find the time soon.  The braking is shit. 

Reading Dave's old post has made me pause for thought too.  Gone but not forgotten Mr Numbers...