DAY TIME RUNNING LIGHTS

babydriver

What a stupid idea these are on todays moderns, I was driving to work this morning in the dark behind a new Nissan Joke who had no lights on, as always I said to myself 'what a pillock' that person was and he obviously does not use his speedo. came to a set of lights and the Nissan fell behind me, as I looked in my rear view mirror I thought 'oh he must have just realized and put his lights on', driving along for a few miles a happy bunny now, we come to another set of lights and said Nissan pulls along side to turn right, well again no rear lights, thinking fook me a 64 plate car with electrical problems I shout across to the driver, 'hey mate, your all new expensive motar has no rear lights on, you had better take it back to Nissan pronto'. He said 'no mate its on daylight running lights, no speedo lights either'.

Well does that make everything alright then? no rear lights and no speedo lights in the pitch black, call me old fashioned but I'd like to see and be seen.

Then bugger me with a rotating pineapple in a black and decker drill, a Fiat 500 tank was doing the same thing down a country lane 20 minutes later.

Daylight running lights says it all to me, I'm sure Ovlovs rears are on during the day but can't find one to see if I'm wrong.

Why do I have a feeling this thread will run and run...?

IMO they can be of benefit, as even during daylight conditions they will help vehicles stand out from the background - for example there's a junction I do regularly where not only is it at a poor angle, cars approaching it can be difficult to see in the shadow of overhanging trees. In that case, DRLs make a dark car more visible and I think they should be treated as an additional aid to visibility, rather than something to mean you don't have to turn on your proper lights when visibility decreases.

Obviously the danger is that when cars without DRLs are in the minority, you may get people subconsciously *only* checking for oncoming lights, and then missing an older car, cyclist etc. I think the real problem is people not putting lights on in poor conditions full stop, whether they have DRLs or not. I do wonder whether some people are less inclined to turn on headlights if they have DRLs though...

I like DRLs - my last few hire cars have had them, and I'm looking for a way to add them to the rainy-road coloured Touran since I get the feeling despite being two tonnes of metal, it's not easy to spot - more and more people are trying to merge into it. Presumably the first owner ordered it in "damp tarmac" or perhaps "USAF Stealth". I think I need VAJCUM to do it though.

I do think the Peugeot I've got right now has the best auto lights too - they seem to go on both the light and the rain sensors so a few times now I've noticed them switch on because it's been raining, but not particularly dark - the sort of times when I'd put lights on manually. My Focus with auto lights would resolutely refuse to put them on unless it was actually getting dark. I don't think I've ever had the Pug not turn them on when I as a driver would.

(The auto wipers OTOH are a fucking liability and will regularly go onto mega fast wipe in a bit of drizzle)

(The auto wipers OTOH are a fucking liability and will regularly go onto mega fast wipe in a bit of drizzle)

Only if the sensor gets greasy. Windolene - FTW.

I hate DLR's. just put your sidelights on.

I think they are a good idea although I think having another set for the rear wouldn't be a bad idea. I can't recall seeing anyone driving around with just DRLs when they should have had their lights on. When I get into my car switching the headlights on is the second or third thing I do regardless of how light it is.

I was driving along the M54 at about 10pm a couple of weeks ago. Traffic was moving along about 50mph, the fella in front goes to overtake, and suddenly slams on and pulls back in again.

A brand new French car broken down in the inside lane with his DRL's and no rear lights on (or rear lights were broken, as I originally thought).

I think they are a good idea although I think having another set for the rear wouldn't be a bad idea. I can't recall seeing anyone driving around with just DRLs when they should have had their lights on. When I get into my car switching the headlights on is the second or third thing I do regardless of how light it is.

yeah.............and then wire them up to switch in the cab and call them 'sidelights' maybe.............

I don't like them simply because it is another step in too many drivers getting used to too much automation

drl should be banned- they are obviously too bright if they have to be dimmed on jags and audis for the indicator to be visible

pug have got the auto lights and wiper SO wrong its unbelievable- the lights go on if the sun dares to pop behind a cloud and the wipers think light drizzle needs speed 1 rather than intermittent

my honda spaceship on the other hand puts the lights on just as its getting to dusk and the wipers wipe the screen when it is wet and stop when dry simples

I can't recall seeing anyone driving around with just DRLs when they should have had their lights on.

It's a spectator sport round here... It's dark, their speedometer etc are illuminated and they can see "after a fashion" so they just tootle off with no lights on except DLRs at the front. Vauxhalls are favourite for this (instruments illuminated with the engine running leading to the issue as I am describing), apparently.

With regards to DRLs on "aspirational" cars being dimmed when the indicators are in use, this is only because the indicator bulb/LED is too close to the DLRs :lol: - it's a technical bodge as "form over function" strikes again (and another black box or two to go wrong in the care of the third or fourth owner, eh? ). ;)

PS I agree, they should be banned - period! :)

My Honda has them, and I'm ashamed to admit, I quite like them! Also like the auto lights and wipers, wipers seem 'just right' and usually beat me to it if it starts to drizzle. Always seems to use the appropriate speed as well... good old Honda! Auto lights also means I can not get confused by the DRLs at night - important at my age and senility level!

Being a Honda, I have every expectation they will last for ever and be totally reliable...

At least led DRLs are bright, it is the clowns who drive in poor conditions on sidelights thatworry me.

They have noticed the need for lights, but just put on the parking lights.

Anyway, we are lucky. In China most drivers only put their lights on at all if they see someone coming towards them, someone who will be doing the same thing.......

Anyway, we are lucky. In China most drivers only put their lights on at all if they see someone coming towards them, someone who will be doing the same thing.......

Didn't it used to be the case that in France, you had to switch your headlamps off when you met someone coming the other way, at least in towns? I think that's could be why 2cvs and other old French cars have a lighting stalk with two settings, R and V - Route and Ville. Side and dipped on V, main beam and dipped on R.

Dash lights are always on in the zx too, I still know when to twist the indicator .5 or 1cm for sides/mains!

The fact that the fog lights may or may not come onon when doing this catches me out still, been a fog light wanker a few times now as the telltale is hidden behind the steering wheel rather than under the fucking speedo with the other handy shit

I hate the bleedin things, too camp by far as well in most cases, and rear LED's are increasingly twee too.

I have DRL's on the lorry, luckily its a simple menu selection to turn the buggers off, but i usually turn them back on when i drop it in for service in case some jobsworth decides to switch 'em on permanently, then i'll have to remove the bulbs between services.

Best ever invention was dim dip, and Volvo's oh so simple solution of sticking 21W bulbs in the side lights.

A couple of weeks ago I was walking the dog at half 9 on a bright but not sunny Sunday morning along our local ex-railway line bridleway and cyclepath, when I saw two bright lights in the distance. At first I thought it was a car, but it was a couple on bikes with their lights on.

"Are you aware your lights are on?"

"Yes mate," says the bloke.

"But it's not dark," sez I.

"Daylight running lights, mate," sez the bell-end.

"What are they for on a cyclepath?" asks I. I didn't hear the response.

What I don't understand is the following:

I can't vouch for all cars, but now Mercedes have DRLs, they no longer come equipped with front fog lights.

That must mean that DRLs are as effective in fog as foglights are.

Surely the only way that that can be possible is if they have a similar light output and distribution to foglights?

You're not allowed to drive around on a clear day with your front foglights on, so why should DRLs be any different? Or has the front foglight rule now been updated?

Best ever invention was dim dip.

Agreed. On the BX I use it pretty much all the time (although it took a bit of trickery to retain the function AND switch the headlights with relays). Helps you to be more visible without dazzling people, and still allowing motorcyclists with dipped beams on to stand out from cars. Why they stopped fitting it is a mystery.

The V40 has DRL,s auto lights and auto wipers. Being a Volvo it has the rear lights on all the time, as well as side running lights front and rear- the headlamps switch on exactly when I would have put them on anyway, and switch the DRL's off when dip or main is on. Auto wipers are pretty good,but the best thing is they are adjustable for sensitivity from the stalk. Dash lights come in 3 different modes and automatically dim or brighten according to ambient light, which also controls the lighted gearknob, and the 12 colour user chosen mood lighting, which can also be set to change according to the temperature. The dash has 3 modes- performance, eco and ambiance. Blue,red or green with different dials etc according to the mode. On 2015 models this can all be controlled from your phone using an app.

The X1/9 has pop up lights, which sometimes do a Mexican wave.

I know which I prefer :)