Alf's Ageing Autos

alf892

I have had a bit of a hankering for van or pick up for a while. It started off with small and harmless stuff like an A35 van and progressed to more hardcore trucks like the A60 pick ups. The idea of a scruffy looking commercial that I could actually use for tip runs and just running around seemed fun.
The idea didn’t really take hold until a few weeks ago when I was left home alone when Mrs Alf went away for a while to help our daughter with her new born baby.
So there I was home alone with Ebay and alcohol. I know many others have been there.....the trouble I like way too many vehicles. If I ever get rich I will soon be poor.
Mrs Alf kept in touch by phone and during one of these calls i mentioned i had bit on a truck and it didn’t seem to go down too badly. Well.........no swearing anyway so I took that as agreement
So now the search started properly. I quite liked the 1946 to 52 Chevy half tonners and actually found one via Rods’n’ Sods but the fella was a bit greedy. From there it was a short (virtual trip) to ebay.com. It was here I got my first sight of the AK series from Chevy and I was smitten. I bid on a nice tatty one that was mechanically well sorted but it went for too much.
And then I found this..........
post-3917-0-74535800-1413827124_thumb.jpg
post-3917-0-50589400-1413827164_thumb.jpg
post-3917-0-07825800-1413827206_thumb.jpg
post-3917-0-47697100-1413827247_thumb.jpg
post-3917-0-86799400-1413827290_thumb.jpg

A few emails were exchanged and shipping quotes checked –a very quick check with Junkman to get an idea of what to pay and the deed was done. Scarily easy......well so far anyway.It is due here about 5th November. Seems miles away right now and I can't bloody wait.

Phwoooor! That is fookin ace!

I did much the same with my yank when I bought it, except no alchahol was consumed while browsing ebay.com!

Whats the deal with it then? Is it in drivable condition or will it be a project? Wheres it from? looks like Illinois plates.

When I imported mine I got everything rolling quick as soon as I bought it, but had loads of trouble getting it here. I actually bought it early October 2013 and finally got my hands on it early September 2014!! So if you get any trouble...

Im sure it will all go perfectly well though. Does it have a 'Title'?

Your going to love it when it arrives, theres nothing like american iron!

Moar pics and info please!!

It sort of drives.

Seller assures me it steers and stops OK but is only wired to run (12v) by having wires from battery to coil - so no lights or anything as it should be 6 volt.

You can buy a loom but they are about $500 so I plan to wire it myself.......there can't be that many wires. An it will getan alternator to as a dynamo is too expensive.

I want to run it as is.....and on this basis the puchase was justified with some man maths:

I want another old car.

If i buy a nice one say .....10k....it would mean building another garage to keep it in at a cost of say 15/20k

So buying something that does not need 'keeping nice' saves 15/20k. This is very good because i don't have that kind of money.

Buying one like this was a lot less than 10k as well

So immediate plan is too rewire it, rust proof the cab and look into clear coating it (with a brush) and a general check over

There's lots of older US stuff rolling around roads over here and owners seem very enthusiastic, when you look at how much must have been spent in the process, as they're quite often (overly) immaculate and would have cost a fair wodge to get compliance certificates, or whatever's involved. 

What you've done is circumvent all that and picked up something much more special in the process. Would you effectively just need to apply for registration with DVLA and then be able to drive away, under the new pre-60 rules? 

There's lots of older US stuff rolling around roads over here and owners seem very enthusiastic, when you look at how much must have been spent in the process, as they're quite often (overly) immaculate and would have cost a fair wodge to get compliance certificates, or whatever's involved. 

What you've done is circumvent all that and picked up something much more special in the process. Would you effectively just need to apply for registration with DVLA and then be able to drive away, under the new pre-60 rules? 

Hopefully I just fill out the forms and get it insured - but I expect DVLA will make sure it is not that easy. It came with title and I will have to pay 5% vat (purchase price +shipping) on arrival but that should be it.

I don't think I would be brave enough to import something shiny in the same way..........you would really need to look to see how well it has been done or you could lose a load of cash. With this I have bought something rusty and I am pretty confident something rusty is on its way so much less risk. The only surprise with this really was how far Iowa is from a port (New York) which pushed the cost up a little.

I also bottled out of collection from Felixstowe - mainly because I had two shippers quoting and one delivered 'in the price' to close the deal -otherwise budget would have forced me to drive it home. Probably would have been OK with a couple of spare batteries (no charging) but I think it would have stood out a bit on yank plates, insured by chassis number and no lights - if I got stopped it would not end well.

I'll post more pics when it gets here.........with a test drive hopefully

When I picked mine up from the importers I was having a look at some of the other cars and trucks they had sat in their storage warehouse. There was a late 50's Chevy Biscayne sat there. I asked about it as it was a bit rough and looked like it had lots of filler in it!

Apparently the owner bought it, had it shipped over and wanted the shippers to get it registered. Then as it was MOT exempt wanted to slap its UK plates on and drive it home! The importers refused as it was a death trap as it was, and said that if the owner wanted to do that he would have to register it himself as the importers didnt want their company name anywhere near it!

I would advise you not to try driving it home from the docks, aside from the reliability issues, I dont think its legal to drive a vehicle insured on the VIN only on the roads and as you say you would have no legal numberplates. I think the VIN insurance is purely for MOT and registration purposes only. When I phoned up to arrange the VIN insurance on mine they specifically told me its not to drive around on, only so proof of insurance could be sent to DVLA and therefore the car could be registered and given a UK number plate. Once I had the UK reg I had to phone them back and update the policy, only then was it fully road legal (insurance wise). To register it you must first have proof of an MOT (if applicable) and proof of insurance.

I dont think you will have any trouble with it once its arrived in this country. I had to fill in a few forms for duty etc send them off and then when it was unloaded and inspected they told me how much I owed HMRC. I paid this to them online and that was it! Likewise with the registration, MOT was done by the importers, I then arranged the VIN insurance and within a few days I had the V5 logbook and reg number come through the letter box at home! I was expecting loads of grief and very slow progress from DVLA but they were very quick and efficient with it all, no problems!

Cant wait to see more pics of it.

• 5 weeks later...

So.........it arrived last night.

Pictures of a car in the sun (in the USA) make it look at lot nicer than a damp foggy night in downtown Nothants!

I spent an hour our so tinkering to make it run and then got it on the drive.

Spent the next couple of hours looking at it wondering the wtf I had done. Walked by it this morning and thought the same. Post purchase wobbles.

However my sense of balance is now returning and I still love it.

More pics to follow over the weekend......took a couple last night but all I really got was darkness and fog

So buying something that does not need 'keeping nice' saves 15/20k. This is very good because i don't have that kind of money

But that light surface rust is a product of a drier environment, leave it uncovered over here and you'll be sweeping it up.

Yank stuff is 1.2 -1.55 mm thick compared to the 0.9mm thick stuff European cars are made from but I'd still garage it

Cap off and saluting! I'd love to do this kind of thing, Mrs. PBK likes the idea of a 50's pick up truck and said she would also drive it............ surely this in itself must immediately prohibit the purchase of anything suitable?

Look forward to seeing the thread develop. Watch out for the cowboys (not literally) in the Yank scene, there are quite a few about if my mate's experience is anything to go by.

Glad to hear it's arrived. I also had a few moments where I wondered wtf I'd gone and done but I promise you, once you get it on the road for a drive you won't regret it at all!

It's a shame you've got it just in time for winter and road salt time.

Did it arrive as a non runner then? Presumably you trailered it back home?

They usually do suffer a bit in the shipping process, flat battery's and stuff. Also worth fitting a fuel filter if it doesn't have one already as it probably came over with the tank nearly empty, you don't want a clogged carb!

My Mercury lives outside as it is far too big to fit in a normal garage. I've just made sure it's clean and polished then covered with a good quality breathable cover. They aren't an ideal solution but better than leaving it sitting in the wet all the time. I usually uncover it when the weather is dry just to let it dry off and air out. I've also put one of those little dehumidifier trays (the plastic trays filled with silica gel type crystals) inside mine to stop damp and condensation on the interior.

Mine has decent paint though so I don't know how you can best keep yours in its 'patina' look without the surface rust turning to holes! Maybe lacquer or varnish but will it stick to the surface rust and stay there!?

Can't wait to see some pics!

Glad to hear it's arrived. I also had a few moments where I wondered wtf I'd gone and done but I promise you, once you get it on the road for a drive you won't regret it at all!

It's a shame you've got it just in time for winter and road salt time.

Did it arrive as a non runner then? Presumably you trailered it back home?

They usually do suffer a bit in the shipping process, flat battery's and stuff. Also worth fitting a fuel filter if it doesn't have one already as it probably came over with the tank nearly empty, you don't want a clogged carb!

My Mercury lives outside as it is far too big to fit in a normal garage. I've just made sure it's clean and polished then covered with a good quality breathable cover. They aren't an ideal solution but better than leaving it sitting in the wet all the time. I usually uncover it when the weather is dry just to let it dry off and air out. I've also put one of those little dehumidifier trays (the plastic trays filled with silica gel type crystals) inside mine to stop damp and condensation on the interior.

Mine has decent paint though so I don't know how you can best keep yours in its 'patina' look without the surface rust turning to holes! Maybe lacquer or varnish but will it stick to the surface rust and stay there!?

Can't wait to see some pics!

Yes arrived on trailer although at one point I was going to drive it 100 miles home........extremely glad I didn't!

Got it unloaded and battery was flat so put volt box on and nothing. Bit of a pain with it being dark and me not having seen one before.

Had to figure out which bit of rod sticking through floor was throttle and which was starter. Keyswitch was dangling on a wire.....

Bench seat is just springs so all you can hear is them creaking as you move about.

Anyway.......switched on and hit the starter and it turned over but no firing. Cleaned points and she fired into life.

Touched throttle to keep it going.......throttle jammed flat out so a bit of a panic to find the keyswitch on its dangly wire in the dark.

Switched off.......let revs die a bit and switch on again......massive back fire as you would expect (but I forgot)

Neighbours now watching.........

Traced throttle rods and freed off........restart engine. Carb leaking.....massively. Not a crossflow so this is not good but the only way to get it on the sloping drive is to drive. Hit carb a few times. Close bonnet and drive onto driveway.

Switch off and spend a few minutes looking around it.

Overall not bad.......... a lot of what it needs is fiddling/fixing. Door catches don't catch, throttle and clutch pedals stick, clean carb fabricate exhaust. Mostly just time although it needs a set of tyres....the ones on it must have some special thick air in them.