Triumph Herald update - Loss of garage

stephen01

skip to 2nd page, updated jan 2021

Lets get the hello's out the way, hello, hello hello. 

Been a lurker for a few years now and thought it best to say hello formally as it were. 

Anyway I'm the (proud) owner of a 67 herald 12/50 and a 61 herald 948s. neither of these are beige or have a beige interior but hey I can't have it all, ones not been on the road for over 20 years and probably wont see the road for another 20 years! with that in mind lets get back to the 'old' car as the children call it. It's been off the road for over 12 months now and I'll be honest its nearly got sold several times but I have decided to throw it in for an MOT, hopefully won't be to much drama, and drive around in it for a while why doing a few bits.

anyway a few pics.. 

A pic from over 12 months ago after I'd attacked it with some polish.. 

After digging it out and moving it for the first time in 12 months... 

Why not?

In its current resting place, next to the wifes daily, it's so small next to  modern car!

Thanks..

Pic's lost in a great server move?

Thanks for welcomes 

Hello and welcome: nice Herald - looks like a pretty smart one, without being excessively shiny.  Win.

Extra bonus points for getting a 50 year old car with a full length Webasto roof out of storage just in time for winter - that's the AS spirit!

It also leaks if that helps? 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Hiya, I nearly bought a Herald once but have owned 2 GT6's with varying degrees of killer rust, a whole bunch of 1300FWD, several Dolomites, 1500TC's, Toledo's, etc, etc.

I currently have a previously  owned TR7 engined Toledo and will be getting my other previously owned 1500FWD back.

Well done on the fail list, I am sure none of it is beyond reason to fix.

Good luck.

Ken

• 1 year later...

with a couple of days off work next week, I planed on getting the panda on the road to recovery, not that I know whats wrong with it! apart from needing a roll of mig wire checking at it. however after checking the herald a few weeks ago and seeing it was turning into a swimming pool, I have decided to better concentrate my efforts on the Herald. This decision may have had something to do with the fact that my 49 year old Herald is in better nick, mechanically and body wise than a 25 year old panda,

Back to project 'old car'

Fast forward 14 months or so and I've managed to change the pads and disc on one side, my mechanical skills amaze me.

Nearly 49 years have not been kind to the seals, banged a new boot seal on but still passing water, May have to swap it round as I've probably got it on wrong. Door seals have been ordered, I have a new carpet ready to go in once all the floors have a tickle from my paint brush. Surprisingly the floors are in very good nick, the boot has a couple of very small patches that need doing, the one is only the size of a 5p.  

moar to come.

After realising I either needed new mig wire or gas I opted for new wire, this was purchased from Machine mart for a reasonable sum of £8.50 for 1/2kg, I've no idea if this is a good price?

I should have done some practice welds before I attacked the car, I feel like I've let the car down with this bit of crap welding, it's solid enough and for a first attempt I'll not moan to much. this is the first time the body has had any welding done to it, the chassis has had a few patches done over the years but the floors etc are all original.

post-4612-0-34578300-1455656318_thumb.jpg

the mig wire decided to jam and then subsequently broke off , much faffing about ensured having to take a bit of the machine apart and sort wire out. at this point I thought I would do some practice welds, after I attacked the car, I managed to lay some decent welds down, well I think they are decent, im sure these are very amateur to the to work that I see on these boards.

post-4612-0-91406400-1455656750_thumb.jpg

After an attack with a wire brush I decided to chuck some red oxide paint at it,

post-4612-0-85131800-1455657201_thumb.jpg

post-4612-0-36316100-1455656850_thumb.jpg

Why paint only half the boot I hear you cry? Well I have to keep things in the boot still, and it was getting dark.

post-4612-0-95609000-1455657036_thumb.jpg

After realising I either needed new mig wire or gas I opted for new wire, this was purchased from Machine mart for a reasonable sum of £8.50 for 1/2kg, I've no idea if this is a good price?

I should have done some practice welds before I attacked the car, I feel like I've let the car down with this bit of crap welding, it's solid enough and for a first attempt I'll not moan to much. this is the first time the body has had any welding done to it, the chassis has had a few patches done over the years but the floors etc are all original.

attachicon.gifIMG_20160216_170400.jpg

the mig wire decided to jam and then subsequently broke off , much faffing about ensured having to take a bit of the machine apart and sort wire out. at this point I thought I would do some practice welds, after I attacked the car, I managed to lay some decent welds down, well I think they are decent, im sure these are very amateur to the to work that I see on these boards.

attachicon.gif1455653866043.jpg

What does the back side look like - I often find that easier to see whats needed (wire speed, power or speed of torch)