Main Dealer Praise

Hendry

Since people are always banging on about dealers being stealers and saying how crap they usually are, and I agree. I thought I'd give credit where its due and give mention to a dealer who's done me a good deal.

Basically my Clio is now 5 years old so due its 5yr/72K mile cambelt change. Anyway my dads mate is doing the full fitting for 100quid, so I just had to supply the parts, anyway looking online, motor factors, euro car parts, GSF etc. It was coming in about £135 for a non genuine timing belt kit and water pump, but not the accessory belt kit, so I decided to call the dealer for a price on genuine stuff, dealer in question being Arnie Shark in Paisley, anyway the boy said they had all those parts on a deal this month, £58.80 for the timing belt kit, £30 for the water pump and £38 for the accessory belt kit all including the taxman's cut. So £126.80 for the whole shebang, and genuine too, so undercutting non genuine stuff not inc aux belt kit.

Shocked at this and wanting to make sure it was right enough and that I hadnt misheard and also thinking if it was a promotion then all dealers would be running it, I called Parks Motor Group in Coatbridge, who quoted nearly 100quid more at 220quid, he was willing to offer a discount down to 187quid but still over 60quid more, and obviously no they weren't running the promotion. I then thought perhaps it was an Arnie Shark only offer so called their Pollokshaws Glasgow branch, the guy there said they weren't running a promotion either and that prices were £88.11 plus vat for timing belt kit, £60 plus vat for the water pump and £35.89 plus vat for the aux belt kit, I advised their own other local branch in Paisley could do it far cheaper to which he advised Paisley and another couple of their dozen or so Renault branches were Renault trade parts dealers, maybe this was why.

Called back Paisley and reserved the parts, went in today and they honoured the £126.80, all genuine parts and all the correct parts too. On my receipt the invoice is made out to a garage so clearly a trade special, but despite knowing full well I was a Joe Bloggs member of the public still gave me the parts at trade without any discussion. Receipt states £49 plus vat for timing belt kit so a pre vat saving of nearly £40, water pump is £25 plus vat so saving £35 pre vat and the aux belt kit saving about a tenner, I normally give Armies a hard time as normally they are worse than useless anytime you use themand the branches I worked in treated me like shite, but fair play nearly £100quid saving.

So yeah if you need any parts for a Renault, Google their "trade club" website and find your nearest dealer who runs a trade parts operation as it just might undercut your local factor or ECP.

Our local MB dealer is way cheaper than motor factor Andrew Page for lots of stuff. Even for those critical front balljoints are barely more expensive from Mercedes, and last many times longer. Mark-up on cheap parts for these parts suppliers must be humungous. And if it lasts for more than a year, they'll sell it. Even if it doesn't.

Vauxhall, Mercedes and VAG (TPS) run trade schemes too- many times I find genuine is cheaper than aftermarket, especially for older stuff.

Been having issues lately with the cheaper ECP stuff- poor quality or just plain won't fit. Wishbones and ball joints seem to be the worst.

I knew about Vauxhall "Trade Club" from when I worked for Arnie and owned Vauxhalls, an excellent thing it was, and every Vauxhall dealer in the UK is part of it/will give a discount to members unlike this Renault set up where only 5 of my local 20 dealers run the scheme. VAG TPS is a good idea as you can go direct to your local TPS instead of arsing about with local dealers. Another thing I liked with Vauxhall was that oil was included too. A £50-odd quid 5L of 5w30 dexos2 for modern diesel Vauxhalls for under £20, and they had a website/book with all the parts included andtheir prices so you didnt need to phone the dealer to see if they could beat the factors.

I would use a dealer if I could know the cost of the part beforehand. Having to make a trip only to find out it is £££ does my head in. I use to try phoning but most of the time you never got hold of the 1 parts guy.

That's my beef too!

I would use a dealer if I could know the cost of the part beforehand. Having to make a trip only to find out it is £££ does my head in. I use to try phoning but most of the time you never got hold of the 1 parts guy.

You can with Citroen and, I think, Peugeot. There's a website called Service-Citroen that lets you search for parts (once you've signed up with a fake VAT number) and I'm pretty sure there's a Peugeot version too.

I have used main dealers for parts, only once in 24 years have I had work done.

In feb 1992 I took my 84 cav SRI to PLP in Warrington for a water pump and cambelt - it cost me £120.47.

A lot of money then, local independents were quoting £60.

Pfft sack getting any work done by a main dealer, it was £60+vat per hour labour when I worked there before I left over 4 years ago, and most of the guys were albeit sound guys but they all hated being on the tools as they'd done it for 15+ years and were disillusioned with the management, the way the company was run and how they were treated so had no pride in their work.

If it hadn't been a timing belt kit and water pump I probably wouldn't have even bothered phoning for a price, the fact the dealer not only offered a competitive price for genuine compared to what pattern stuff was but in fact even beat the pattern prices meant it was a no brainer, and I usually hate Arnold Cunt more than anyone due to how I was treated when I worked there' I was off for several months with depression and stress as a result, but my post was more about how main dealers are sometimes worth a try for "service" parts as they may be cheaper than the factors and also a heads up that Renault run a Trade Parts depth at some of their larger dealerships.