Came close to losing a luton

FredTransit

I have now had a reply from the incident manager, not the CEO. He tells me C&S have inspected the van (WHY?). This is looking like the RAC want to shift the blame. I have replied that I do not want to be catght up in a denial of liabily argument, and if the RAC wont accept liability I will have to resort to legal action. Oh and C&S, I've shown you mine, now you show me yours.....

You won't get a reply from the CEO. He will know nothing of what a truck is, or who C&S are, he is the man who employs people to make decisions.

Your letter will have gone to an appropriate person who will reply. They will know more and be able to tell you more.

Every time you need to reply, sit on it. Sleep on it if needed. I used to respond to similar letters to my CEO on behalf of him and the calmer and more rational the complaint, the faster it was dealt with. Sweary ones and OMGIMSOANGRY would get dealt with later.

I won't lie, I'm a little confused by this whole situation, so please correct me here, But the way i see it is that you rang the RAC, they sent a 3rd party recovery firm out to collect you, which is quite normal, the lorry that arrived is a modern 7.5ton spec lift truck which is more than capable of carrying a unladen Transit.

As it was lifting the van the rear bed on the lorry broke and put the van at a precarious position, something which could have happened to any recovery truck but made to look worse due to the transit being a high top and giving it more lean, The police arrived and the driver had help to rectify the situation.

I can't see how the RAC can have any blame in this and i can't see it being anything other than an unfortunate incident for the recovery company, at worse the driver should have extra training on how to cope in a similar situation in future and any damage to your vehicle should be repaired.

I can't see what contacting the CEO of RAC would achieve or how it would benefit anyone?.

Because I called the RAC, not C&S. C&S represent the RAC, and are thier agents. I pay the RAC membership, and pay C&S nothing. If the RAC want to sue C&S to recover any compensation paid its up to them. My contract is with the RAC. And it was me that dialled 999, C&S were going to faff about with a lifter.

must admit that my experiences with the RAC have always been good.........on one occasion the patrol bloke came out when i had an old Westminster that had lunched it's rotor arm. towed me to where I was going [10 miles down the road] next morning, came round with a rotor arm he'd got from a mate of his who had a Healey with same rotor arm. Popped it on, good as gold!

I had RAC out on Sunday night ,dark ,very wet and windy .

Alternator belt snapped  , OHC Seicento ... and its a shit job , on your back in a puddle.. old oil.. etc. It's  right down the back of the engine...  

I'd have said " Bollox to that ", and called recovery (I was only 20 mins from home) but he spent 45 mins fitting another ... I'd have given him a drink but i had no cash on me .. Score 10 out of ten .

But trying to call them out to start with !!!    At least 25 minutes just on hold , outside in the rain too, no signal in the car ! That bit ...1 out of ten .

No-one died at least, C&S will have to cough up a few quid to fix their knackered lorry and no doubt the recovery driver will get a dressing down from his boss who is paying the repair bill.

What are you hoping to get out of the RAC?

The RAC are the people who used C&S so the first port of call should be the RAC who provided the cover and subcontracted it out. Fred chose the RAC, they provided C&S. If you don't get paid at work you might contact you manager to sort it out but its not his fault, its up to him to contact the payroll (unless you work in payroll obviously).

RAC communication is dire, judging by the three occasions I've used them. If everything fits their plan and their computers agree, it'll probably all go well. Shoudl anything go wrong, they're as effective as a rural infant school teacher trying to sort out a particularly ugly fight at the local inner city comprehensive.

Time schools started teaching a few basics again - not least simple comprehension and map reading.

I know they're not exactly universally popular, but a decent 'no win, no fee' brief would tear them a new arsehole I reckon. I'd search for local ones rather than national companies, mine took not a single penny of money when he won all three separate cases for me.

If you don't get a response by Monday, I'd be looking at taking that route.

RAC communication is dire, judging by the three occasions I've used them. 

They were bought (and sold again) by Aviva a few years back. It seems some of the Aviva way of doing things seems to have rubbed off on them.

The problem will be that you will NEVER get to speak to someone who can authorise any claim by ringing up. You will only speak to front desk staff who barely understand the complaint and have no power. The only way to do anything is in writing. This will then go to the people who can deal with it and will have to process it in line with their complaints procedure. 

Well the gloves are off.

"At this stage it is not possible to accept any liability in the matter as I am not in receipt of all of the facts. Without seeing the report of the garage I cannot confirm what the time frame for repairs will be or the extent of them.

Unfortunately, it would not be possible for us to arrange for a replacement van at this stage and I understand you have previously confirmed the use of an alternative. As a gesture of goodwill at this stage, without any admission of liability, I am willing to reimburse the cost of 3 days van hire or a maximum of £60.00 per day to the total of £180.00 subject to receipts being provided."

wrong answer.

Spoke to a journo and this will be front page next week

The axle has locating pins, one for each spring. These have snapped off allowing the axle to slip up the springs. A new pin can be welded on when we replace the springs

In a 'previous life' I did Windscreen repairs & visited the Marley Tiles depot. The chief maint guy, who paid me for fixing the screens, was having an ffing fit over a Volvo 8wheeler in the workshop.... "The driver has taken a tight turn, on concrete - fully loaded - and snapped the axle location pins!!"

Hmmm.... lot of it about!

TS

This could get interesting now.....

I love it when corporates go into print while they make big mistakes.

Earlier I said that RAC would find that it was all Fred's fault and it is up to her to sort it out .

Pity It had to happen to Fred though, I don't envy you.