Came close to losing a luton

FredTransit

The bed twisted like a slice of melba toast as it was raised. This whole thing has shortened my life by years. How l didnt kill the chimp from C&S l dont know.... Petrol was pissing out of the tank and random spectators wandered around smoking. Oh and 2 of me dogs were in the cab the whole time. I called 999 cos mr C&S wanted to hiab the van upright and called out one of thier police style lifters

oh my that looks a brown trouser moment, when i read the thread title i thought it was going to be an attempted theft after reading about your spec lift, im glad it didnt fall off and no one was injured especially your furry friends in the cab. im sure if it would have got severely damaged it wouldnt have been good for the drivers health

Laquer Peel a friend of yours? Hopefully the mods will remove his abusive and uncalled for post.

The situation your van was in reminded me of the old pics of London Transport buses being tested for stability.

I'm glad it didn't fall over.

hold on a minute chaps the recovery truck is not a 50 odd year old rust bucket,  it is a reasonably new clean looking truck subbed out to do work for the RAC what is wrong with that ? how much would a years membership cost if the RAC is to be expected to supply all its vehicles without subcontracting. 

I find it really strange that someone who comes out to rescue a stricken motorist when most of us are cosy at home on the tinternet is getting slated for his actions, its not as if he thought hold on heres an old tranny van lets tip it on its side for a laugh  :shock:  nobody could have foreseen that happen,  as for him not knowing what to do when it all went pair shaped would you ?  its one of these problems few recovery drivers will have ever encountered.

The RAC will have to sort it out with fred so here's hoping all will be fine and a reasonable outcome will be reached with out this suing malarkey that's being called for, hell why not just try and get whiplash claim for your pets while your at it :shock:   

It can't be your fault, it's up to them to supply a vehicle fit for purpose. I suspect someone will be minus a contract tomorrow and VOSA will be firing up their arsehole shredder.

Corsavior are you havin a laff? Poor attempt at humor if so. The C&S chimp was muttering about him not earning if the truck wasnt, and the dogs were the least of his worries. He didn't lash it down at all at the back, allowing the axle to twist as the weight shifted. If you think these are the actions of a seasoned pro you must be mistaken.

I used to do this for a living & things are more strict now ,than 20 years ago .

if this much damage was caused to the recovery vehicle then it shows the incompetence on both the driver & despatcher/contracter & vosa should come down on them like a ton of bricks.

its not just you & your broken down vehicle, but other road users/ pedestrians that are put at risk by their actions.

any driver worth his salt will have dealt with more difficult jobs & expearience/ common sense on his part should cover hazards such as possible fuel/lubricant leaks.

this job should've been a simple broken down vehicle recovery.

I still know quite a few in this game & they wouldn't have sent/used a vehicle with a carrying capacity of less than a tonne in excess of the perspective load.

something with a 3 1/2 load capacity would be a borderline attendee, short distance, busy day for this job.

a modern equivalent light commercial vehicle would have a large carrying capacity in a smaller overall body size a transit connect  can carry weight wise what would have required a swb one even 15 years ago.

things like the ford Ka weigh similar to a Cortina but wouldn't be considered this way by most people.