From how far away did you see a foreign registered car in the UK?

Junkman

Last time I was in Norfolk I came across some big Ford SUV thing with Oregon numberplates. It was just down the road from a USAF base (Lakenheath possibly?) which would explain that. Apparently the Yanks based over here bring literally everything over with them as they get a very generous allowance from the US government to relocate here.  

A mid 80's Chrysler Le Baron convertible on Qatar plates of all things - It had apparently been driven to the U.K by some bloke working in the oil business and then promptly blew up when it had run dry of the stuff - I had to push that bloody thing out of the garage on my own every morning first thing when I was an apprentice in the early 90's :mad: He got a hardtop imported from the states to do an engine swap - that was just as knackered so I had to push that as well :-(

Happy Times of my youth.

3 or 4 years ago there was a really tidy newish Lada Niva on Russian plates kicking around Derby.

I last saw it in a half decent bodyshop with a bin bag over what used to be the rear window with a good sized bash in the bootlid.

Theres tons of Russian BMWs, Mercs, Range Rovers etc on the Costa Blanca these days. The Germans went home when the tax laws changed and flogged their holiday homes to the Russians.

Last time I was in Norfolk I came across some big Ford SUV thing with Oregon numberplates. It was just down the road from a USAF base (Lakenheath possibly?) which would explain that. Apparently the Yanks based over here bring literally everything over with them as they get a very generous allowance from the US government to relocate here.  

They used to get an allowance to bring stuff over here but nothing to take stuff back - hence there were always loads of cheap Yanks for sale near USAF bases.  That's changed now, unfortunately for the likes of us (or those of us that like Yanks anyway).

I went to a wedding near RAF/USAFMildenhall a year or so ago and stayed in a travel lodge style hotel with a little chef attached next to a big roundabout. In the morning I settled down to my little thief breakfast eyeing up the island waiting for all the 1970's/80's yank tank Buicks, Cadillacs and Oldsmobiles to lurch their way around the roundabout.

Imagine my disappointment when the only yank registered cars seemed to be smallish Kias, yank Mondeo things and similar boring throwaway shite.  I did see an enormous Lincoln Navigator and a Yank spec Volvo 240 estate, which was nice.

When I were a lad, I lived not too far from Edzell where the Yanks had a base/listening post. There were always mediocre yank cars wafting around the surrounding towns.

My primary school used to play sports against kids from the base. I remember they had vending machines full of forrin chocolate bars. I wondered WTF a Snickers bar was and was bitterly disappointed to find it tasted like a Marathon.

A few weeks ago when I was on my way back from Dunstable I saw a huge old vintage car with an elderly couple in it trundling along the A1. It had Queensland reg plates on it and it looked like they were probably on some kind of epic round the world type adventure. Sadly, I didn't clock what car it was but I'd love to know the story behind it and what it was doing here.