Bike rack on an x1/9, anybody?

Fabergé Greggs

Long shot, but has anyone put a bike rack on an x1/9 or have any experience in a bike rack that fitted a similar shape? Mine has the earlier 1300 bumpers to further complicate things.

It's nigh on impossible to find a place that wants to take the time to fit and sell me a rack.. I blame the internet.

Methinks I'd get in trouble for covering up number plates etc.. I need a bit of a higher mount, non?

I would think most cars would need a trailer board fixed to the bike to be vaguely legal. I'd be more bothered about covering the lights than the plate

The bizarre home made contraption I occasionally have on the back of the t2 was originally made to support a 70kg monkey bike.

It now occasionally supports an RSW 16 which obscures the lights and the number plate. There's a number plate fastened to the pushbike, but no effort is made at all to duplicate the lights.

A couple of times a year for the last fifteen years and not been stopped or crashed into yet.

I suspect there are very few rozzers out on the roads anymore.

Methinks I'd get in trouble for covering up number plates etc.. I need a bit of a higher mount, non?

You would be extremely unlucky judging by the number of flimsy looking contraptions you see swaying around on the back of cars and obscuring the lights.   I like the towbar mounted ones that support the bike wheels but not much good for an X19.

a folding moulton has to be the answer - fit it under the "bonnet" !

I had a loan of a pal's brompton for a little while when I first moved to London, and even that wouldn't fit in the frunk. Well, it did, but only after I took the saddle, seat post and crank off. 

You can fit a surprising amount of stuff in an X1/9 if it's packable, but they're surprising tiny when it comes to anything inflexible. 

Besides, I want to take my proper bikes places. 

• 3 months later...